What's in Baltimore?

Search

What's in Baltimore?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2000, 03:20 PM
Susan

What's in Baltimore?

Hi:
We saw a TV program on an interesting sounding museum in Baltimore (American Vision or some such) so we thought we might check it out.
What else is there to do in Baltimore? We'd stay about a week. And what's the weather like in April & May?
Thanks for any info.
Susan

Old Mar 29th, 2000, 03:40 PM
bethb

I have heard from many people that the aqarium is incredible -- one of the best anywhere.

Old Mar 29th, 2000, 03:50 PM
Balmer Ben

It's a GREAT city -- the Inner Harbor has two huge buildings (near the Aquarium, which is fantastic -- SHARKS swim around you) with shops and restaurants -- you HAVE to have steamed crabs. There are boat ferries across the harbor to other restaurants and neighborhoods. The art museum is one of the best in the country -- a little known fact. There's plenty more, but if you run out of downtown stuff, visit Annapolis (old port city and site of the Naval Acad.) and restored old town of Ellicott City, with great shops and a small railroad museum.

Old Mar 30th, 2000, 10:42 PM
Mary

Balmer Ben is right--it is a great city. I used to visit from a base in DC. Always liked "Balmer." Fell's Point is fun--lots of restaurants, and easy to reach from the inner habor by taking a harbor "taxi"; these run often, are inexpensive, and fun. There's even a Little Italy section, which is truly little, but some great restaurants there. The art museum is splendid, and the aquarium is wonderful. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of the American Vision museum, but there is probably a web site for Baltimore that would give you more information. I can't give you weather details, but I know I've been there in the spring, and I think a jacket will do it for you. (I'm from NE, and it didn't seem like the weather was all that different from NE weather in the spring: sometimes warm, sometimes rainy, sometimes, in April, a touch of chill.) Hope you have a wonderful time!

Old Mar 31st, 2000, 10:58 AM
Susan

And of course there's Ft McHenry where out national anthem was written

Old Mar 31st, 2000, 03:51 PM
Diane

I live halfway between Baltimore and DC. We spend more time in Baltimore lately, but we've lived here 25 years. Anyway, there's the fabulous Oriole Park at Camden Yard, and the Babe Ruth Museum. Even people who "don't like baseball" enjoy going to games at Camden Yard. You can get seats standing in line before the game if you aren't picky about where you sit. The whole Inner Harbor area is lovely, as mentioned the Aquarium is just extraordinary, and there are also some ships to tour. Fell's Point is a lot of fun, and the "little Italy" area has some wonderful restaurants. The Baltimore Museum of Art is very fine, especially if you like furniture and glass. The weather can be just delightful. Expect anything from the 50s to the 80s.

Old Mar 31st, 2000, 07:12 PM
traveler

Hi Susan

It's the American Visionary Museum. Don't miss it. Artists who worked outside the mainstream. Often charming and poignant in addition to being lots of fun. Great restaurant on the top floor. Building is new and interesting.

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 05:55 AM
Ruth

Baltimore also has a wonderful railroad museum and the Walters Art Gallery is great.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 07:01 PM
Susan

Thanks to all of you who answered my post on what to do in Baltimore.
Susan