What's Fun to do after the show?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2004, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife and I are based in Washington, DC, but planning to go to NYC next month to see Slava's Snowshow. What's fun to do after the show? We're mid-30's, too old for nightclubs, but still enjoy funkiness. Last time we were in NYC, we went to Waikiki Wally's which was kind of fun. Looking for something kind of like that, but different.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 11:21 AM

The show is playing on East 17th Street at Union Square. Do you want a place near the theater or wherever you might be staying? We need an idea on location and how much you want to spend.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

We're planning on staying at the Millenium Hilton near the WTC site. I'm not sure how close that is to the theatre. Location doesn't really matter as long as its in Manhattan. As for cost, money is no object (boy, I love saying that!).
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 01:22 PM

If you want to have more responses, put the name of the show and most importantly, the CITY it's in!!! Without the name of the city in the title, not many people will respond.

Steve
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 01:23 PM

Funkiness? Marie's Crisis or Rose's Turn in the village!
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 06:36 PM

Askias, try Le Colonial at 149 E. 57th. We frequent this restaurant in Chicago and are looking forward to checking out the New York version. A review from dinesite.com:
"Languorously revolving ceiling fans, tropical plants and grey-green shutters make an opulent, old-world Vietnamese impression. The clientele is made up of prosperous Upper East Siders with a fashionable edge, all eating lightly prepared dishes that won't expand the waistline. Recommended courses include spicy beef salad with lemon grass and basil and crisp-seared whole red snapper with a spicy and sour sauce. Retire upstairs for a drink or a light meal in the lush lounge, with its rattan couches, antique oriental rugs and perfectly pitched jazz. This fine dining restaurant specializes in a Vietnamese cuisine."
When you get back, let us know what you decided and how you liked Slava's Snowshow. I'm eager to hear about it because we will be seeing it February 20th.
Thanks, Maggi
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 03:41 AM

Maggi, I'm a big fan of Le Colonial and suggest it as a dining place in midtown on the board all the time. But that's not geographically desirable or what askias is looking for.

Waikiki Wally's has a sister place called Lucky Cheng's with Drag Queens. It's very popular for bachelorette parties, so not sure it's what you're looking for but you can check their website. Patrick's suggestion of Marie's Crisis or Rose's Turn are good ideas (although I'm not sure about food at these places). These are piano bars with a lot of sing alongs, people from the audience performing (often good). They attract a gay crowd but are very mixed too. In the village so inbetween the show and your hotel.

If you're interested in jazz, there's jazz at the Blue Water Grill (downstairs) which isn't far from the theater. This is a very good seafood rest. (in a converted bank) and I believe you can eat downstairs where the music is.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:21 AM

Food? Guess I missed the part where askias said anything about food. Strike my suggestions if that's the case.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for the responses so far. Steve, I did post the name of the show and city: Slava's Snowshow in NYC. Patrick, thanks -- we will check those places out. To be honest, hadn't thought about food. Le Colonial does sound cool, although is off-Broadway and not in Midtown. But we could switch hotels to Midtown (that is flexible) and then cab from the restaurant to the show, and then check out the places Patrick recommended. I have suggested Lucky Cheng's to the wife, but she is afraid of being pulled on stage a la Cirque de Soleli, so I'm not sure that works for us, although it is a good suggestion and a place I have thought of before. Anyway thanks again for the ideas.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:14 AM

I think the chance of your wife being pulled on stage at Lucky Cheng's is slight. But you might be a prime target. How's your sense of fun and adventure?
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:23 AM

Saw Slav's Snowshow on Saturday with a 4 year old. Needless to say, he was scared at some parts, but he had fun picking the 'snow' off the floor and hurling it at my head.
The show is different depending upon where you are sitting. The balcony/mezz gets no action at all. The front orchestra has a ball--literally. I am not going to say anything to spoil it for you, just go have fun. Bring some goggles or something for the end of the show so you can actually see what happens. I want to go back again and watch the ending from upstairs.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

I'm definitely a go with the flow person, so maybe we'll try Lucky Cheng's. Do we need reservations? Thanks for the advice about the show, I'm really excited to see it. We are in the front orchestra, so hopefully we'll be in a good spot for the show.