Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's easiest: Paying the highest rate, or trying to get a deal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:25 PM
marcus

Hi,

Lately I've been booking my hotel rooms and paying the highest rate so that I can guarantee the room will be the best, have a view, etc. And I gotta say, it's been really hassle-free.

But it seems like whenever I try to "cheap out" and get a lower rate or a free upgrade, I get stuck with an older room, partial view etc.

When you book your hotel, which philosophy do you use? Can you afford to pay the premium rate and just live and let live? Or do you cheap out, and end up with a lemon?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:27 PM
xxx

It's a crapshoot. The highest rate doesn't guarentee you the best room. You are throwing money away.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:28 PM
bargain

I cheap out and end up in the same room as you do. I can afford to pay the premium rate but why should I? The cheapie in me always makes me look for a deal, and I always seem to get one.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Bob

The hunt for a bargain if half the fun. Why pay premium price when a little surfing can save you money?????

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Mike

Actually, I think it's an interesting question. Much of the stuff you read hear is about trying to pay the least to get the most. While that's fine -- and I do it myself -- there is sometimes merit in not trying to be the cheapest person on earth and pay for a little enjoyment and fun.

For instance, while I use the 'net and places like Priceline often, I recently did a vacation where the only "cheapo" thing I did was my airfare. Otherwise, I paid more than I would have for a Priceline room and stayed at a lovely hotel, had a great room, and wonderful experience.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Steve

I usually don't get the most expensive room, but I always pay for a room with a view. In most cases I do get upgraded. I never "cheap out". There was a time when I had to "cheap out" when I was younger and starting a family, but we work hard for our money and want good accommodations with pampering.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Michele

Even though I could pay for premium rooms, I never do anymore and I'd rather spend my energies in figuring out what there is to see and do, than surfing for a hotel room. My philosophy is that if I'm in a hotel room long enough to enjoy a view, I'm in the room too much. For me, a hotel room is where I sleep, shower, and change clothes. Why pay for stuff I'm not interested in?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Ben

I'd rather pay less and have a clean room in a good location (with or without a view...whatever they give me). Hotel Location is the key for me! With the money I save, I eat in very nice restaurants and splurge on expensive wine! These are my priorities.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Cindy

We visited New Orleans last year, with a cost of $285.00 a night when we first reserved in January. By the time we went to the city in September we had the price down to $139.00. It took a lot of "homework" and scouring discounts, etc. on the internet and magazines but was worth it for the savings. Shoot yes, I'll take the time this year to do the same thing all over agin!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Dave

Room quality and location are very important to me.
I will try all the tricks to get a cheaper rate, but if there's a doubt about whether I'll get a quality room, I'll pay up.
Saving a few bucks does not make my vacation better if I hate the room.
I work hard for my vacations.
I will not have them compromised.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Owen O'Neill

I use priceline when possible, bid for 4* if there are any in the given area or otherwise for 3*. I use careful bidding procedures to be sure I don't overpay (thus far I haven't and I nearly always get a room through PL when I need one). I have rewards program cards for Marriott, Hyatt and Wyndham. A day or two after winning the PL bid, I call the hotel reservations desk directly and ask them politely if they will add my rewards profile number to the reservation. they have always done so and in some cases (not all) I have actually goltten some of the perks that go along with the rewards programs and in several instances have been offered room upgrades without asking for them. Displaying a nice smile and a courteous, patient attitude seems to go a long way in winning favor and good treatment from customer service staff in any business - it certainly works for me at hotels. So.... that's my philosophy - I cheap out, act nice, tip the housekeeper and express genuine gratiitude for the friendly service I receive. Works great for me. Because I'm doing PL so often now, I don't necessarily spend less on hotels than I used to but I end up staying in much nicer properties where nicer rooms and better service are frequently the norm.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Lisa

Well, assuming you're frugal (as opposed to "cheap"), and would just as soon spend the difference you save on your hotel rate on dining and shopping and seeing and doing, or earning interest in your money market account, be advised that your best bet, if you're sure your going, is Priceline or Hotwire. Not only do you receive one spectacularly ridiculously low rate, you can almost always upgrade (actually, this has worked for me every single time) when checking in for just a few dollars more ($10-30/night) you can easily "upgrade" to a suite, concierge level, VIEW, room. Obviously, you have no idea whatsover what you're doing here. Example, booked a 4-1/2 star for $115/night with Hotwire for last June -came up Meridien in NYC. LOWEST rate anywhere and everywhere else was $189. Upon check-in, offered "upgrade" to "SUITE" with "VIEW" (AWESOME) for a mere $15/night... You do the math. Even if you do "cheap out" you get SUCH a lower rate, SO WHAT? No ending up with a "LEMON" - not in a 4* or more, IF you know what you're doing. "Philosophy" has nothing to do with it.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Julie

I have fun planning trips and like to get good bargins, but it probably is "easier" just paying the highest rate (but IMO not as much fun)!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Jeff

But do keep in mind Lisa that PL doesn't work for everyone.
Many times I have to be at a certain hotel for meeting purposes (if on business) and if travelling for pleasure, I'm usually very picky about hotels and I wouldn't be happy with many of the hotels that deal on PL. Saving a buck but regretting being forced to stay in a smelly Hilton instead of paying the extra for a beautiful Ritz or Peninsula isn't a fair trade for me.
To be sure there are some very nice hotels available thru PL. But it's a crapshoot. There are some real disappointments too.
And their star rating system is kind of comical. Subtract 1-2 stars from most hotels and you get closer to the truth. There's no such thing as a 5 star Marriott or Hilton, and most are truly 3 stars if you use a decent Four Seasons as a 5 and Motel 6 as a 1.