Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hotel makes offer, I accept, comfirmation is sent. SOUNDS good, huh?

Jul 20th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Problem is, an email is sent the next day saying the person making the offer made a mistake, and the price is wrong, so no deal!

This started on Friday, when I decided the Victorian Hotel in Vancouver, BC was the best choice for our 6 day trip in September. I filled out the form on their website and inquired about the possibility of a discount for the long stay (hey, it can't hurt!) Got a reply pretty quickly saying no discount was available, but they did have availability at $159.

I replied the we were planning on the $139. room, not the deluxe $159. room, and was that available. The reply to that was that, no, there were no regular rooms available, but since there weren't, they would put us in a deluxe room at the lower price. I accepted this offer and sent my CC information. In return, I got a comfirmation email with all the pertinant info spelled out.

Imagine my surpise when I got an email on Saturday from the front office manager, saying that the first person had "forgotten" that only the deluxe rooms were available on my dates, and the price was $159. I forwarded the emails which made it clear it wasn't a "mistake", to no avail. I was told I could pay the $159., or be put an a wait list for the regular room.

Now, if I hadn't been OFFERED the deluxe at regular price, we might well have decided to go ahead and spring for the deluxe, but this just didn't feel right. I canceled the reservation, which they weren't going to honor, anyway.

Has anybody had something like this happen to them? I'm still pretty stunned!

~Liz

P.S. I'm going to post this on the LOUNGE, too. I really curious if this happens often.
Jul 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM

I would also post on tripadvisor. I think that you should let everyone know what happened. That certainly isn't the way to get business. Also, why don't you try bidding for a 4 star downtown on Priceline. For that money you should get something really nice.
Jul 21st, 2008, 05:38 AM

So post it all over the world. Big deal, you don't get to save $20 per day.

I am sure that you are the first person that did not get something for nothing so it is of great interest to the rest of us.

Mark
Jul 21st, 2008, 07:41 AM

cdnyul- geez did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I think the OP was just looking for some advice on whether there was anything that could be done or to find out how others have dealt with similar situations. This is a travel forum so what's the harm in that?

To answer the OP yes similar situations have happened to me in the past and I felt cheated and disappointed while at the same time helpless because there's not much you can do. I would also post on trip advisor to warn other potential guests so that they might avoid a similar situation.

Layla
Jul 21st, 2008, 11:40 AM

Elberko - yes this happens. My guess is that the person who responded on Friday got in trouble for giving out a $159 room at a discount when they could easily get the full rate for it within the next 2 months.

Unless the rate you agreed to on Friday was non-refundable OR you were not told that you would not get that rate within 48 hours of check-in, I don't think it's a big deal and I wouldn't make a huge fuss over it.

Either accept the $159 rate or find another hotel at the rate you want.
Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:32 AM

I agree....a nicer way to phrase the message would have been much more acceptable. What about there was a staff miscommunication and the correct billing rate for your dates will be .....

Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

As I said on the lounge post, I've made a reservation at another hotel, and I'm happy.

I still feel the proper thing for the hotel to do, if the comfirmation has been sent, is to tell the employee "don't do this again", but to honor the agreement already made.

~Liz
Jul 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM

I agree...
Jul 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
ALF

Me too. Once the hotel sent the confirmation, they should have honored it. They had the opportunity to change their minds before they sent the confirmation.

I had a similar situation in the Florida Keys. We cruised Web sites and found a 2-bedroom ocean-front suite for $75/night. We booked the suite, paid in advance, and received a confirmation. Two months later, a week before we were set to arrive, the manager called us to tell us that there had been a mistake, a zero had been left off on the web advertisement, the suite was supposed to be $750/night! We started out by arguing that they had confirmed the reservation, so they had better honor it, but in the end compromised on two interior hotel rooms. This seemed fair, the hotel basically honored their confirmation, and we agreed that it was unreasonable to expect a room worth 10x what we paid.
Jul 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM
ltt

any respectable hotel would have honoured the confirmation. i'm glad you found another place that you are happy with. definitly post on tripadvisor to assist other people.