Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What would you do tonight alone at Inner Harbor?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I am going to take my daughter & a friend to a concert in Baltimore tonight. We're staying overnight at the Marriott Waterfront in the Inner Harbor, and while they are at the show I will have a few hours on my hands. I could just hang around in the hotel, and post on Fodor's (most likely scenario) or I can venture out alone. Any ideas for me?

PS - I swear that I should get an award for "Nice Mom of the Year." The things I do for that girl....
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How late is the aquarium open this evening?

Lots of the harbor front restaurants have good views. Take your book or crossword and have a drink waterside.
A couple of the hotels have top of the tower type restaurants and lounges. Likewise you could do the skyview scene.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, stumpworks (interesting name, by the way.) I will wander around and see if anything appeals to me.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:10 AM

It is such a beautiful day here in Baltimore, you may want to go to see the Orioles play in beautiful Camden Yards.Don't have to be a fan to enjoy the park and people watch. Can walk from your hotel. Whatever you decide to do, have a fun time here.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:20 AM

Camden Yards is a great idea. I've wanted to go there since it opened - and I'm not a big baseball fan.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:26 AM

It will be a beautiful Friday night so the Inner Harbor will be a "happening place." There will probably be some street entertainment. Along with the other suggestions there is a shopping and a dining pavilion. Take a water taxi ride around the harbor, or take the water taxi over to Fell's Point with its restaurants, shops and night spots. Little Italy that ajoins the Harbor has a lot of good small restaurants. If I had a chance, I would walk over to Vaccaro's in Little Italy. It is a dessert restaurant that has the most wonderful Italian pastries, gelato, ice cream concoctions, coffees etc.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:34 AM

If you go to Camden Yards, you can load up on hot dogs, peanuts, drinks and other goodies at the stands outside of the park and bring them inside. Unlike other ballparks, it is allowed as long as there is no glass or alcohol. You can save a lot and many think the outside food is better. I like "Big Dog's" stand the best.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM

sounds like a great opportunity! I so look forward to times where I can do what I want to do! Shopping, or just enjoying a glass of wine with a book. Preferably where you can people watch!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:56 PM

I know if I were spending an evening in Batlimore I certainly wouldn't spend in stuck in my hotel room! Venture out! I would probably take the water taxi to Fell's Point and grab a pint at a pub or walk up Charles Street to Mount Vernon.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, Suki:
Yes, you do get an award for Mom of the year. This is probably too late to catch you but I was going to tell you to go to Camden Yards and look out for a high school group. DS is there for his senior trip today. They were going to Baltimore for the day and to the game tonight. He said the girls were going shopping and the guys were going to hang out at ESPN zone. LOL You could give him the lowdown on Drexel.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Hey, thanks everyone. I ended up dropping the girls off at UMBC around 6, then I drove into Baltimore and checked into the hotel. I walked over to the Inner Harbor and had dinner at the Spanish tapas place. It was better than I anticipated and along with a glass of Spanish red wine made for a nice dinner. I stopped and browsed in the Barnes & Noble and then it was just about time to head back out to pick the girls up.

I got the hotel on Priceline for $110 and the rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. It is rated 4 stars though and I didn't think it was quite in the same league as a Hyatt, for instance.

Beautiful weather last night and today really contributed to a good trip. Birdie, I hope your son had fun as well!
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM

ttt