What would you do? DC at this time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have reservations for Holdiday Inn on Capitol Hill for April 25-27.
Taking my sister and her husband from NH who have never been....wonder if we should...with the war and possible terroism?
What would you do?
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 04:08 AM

I was in Washington for several days earlier this month and I would gladly return. It's a great city and a wonderful time of year to travel there. You can't let fear rule your life and your chances of being personally involved in a terrorist incident or an act of war are very small. Go and enjoy yourself.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 04:16 AM

Don't be silly. Do you see Washingtonians fleeing the city??
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 04:32 AM

LTC:

Just go. It is a beautiful city and it's great to walk around Pennsylvania Avenue. Do not forget to visit Fords Theatre and the small museum downstairs and to have some lunch at the J.W. Marriott mall or Old Post Office. Just an additional note, there is a great bookstore downstairs at the Smithsonian Museum of American History.

Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:56 AM

I lived in the D.C. area. Definitely go. Go to the Old Post Office. Take the elevator to the top for a great view. Don't forget to go to the C & O Canal. Either on the Maryland or Virginia side. Great views, water fall and walking. Always our favorite in D.C. Mostly locals go there.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 06:35 PM

DC is very protected though you will hear of demonstrations from time to time. Just take your travels away from them as DC has lots to see. The monuments will have an even more poignant impact with current events. You'll feel the pride that Americans feel when they visit such important historical sights, especially now. Late April is perfect weather for DC, too. I think you won't regret the trip.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 07:43 PM

I work and go to school in DC and I won't lie to you - it's very stressful here right now. The tension manifests itself in angry drivers, snappish service, and general rudeness. If DC had been like this the first time I visited a few years ago, I don't think I would have moved here, because the atmosphere is filled with anxiety.

Penn Ave is completely closed from Treasury to the Old Executive Bldg. There are no tours of the White House for anyone anymore. Last I heard, you could Capitol tours, but only from your representative, no more walk-ups. There are no more Pentagon tours anymore either.

But on the other hand, the museums are virtually empty so you can enjoy them without worrying about crowds and lines. The spring break crowds just did not materialize this year, although they were here in abundance last year, even after 9/11.

Also, because of the bad winter, cherry blossoms are late this year, so they even still be out when you come, since bloom time is estimated at about 4/18 and they last about a week.

I say you should come anyway - DC desperately needs the tourist $$
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 08:08 PM

I live in NH and have been to DC (and used to live there) many times. People live and work in DC, just as in NH and wherever you live. It's a fabulous destination and there's really no good reason to cancel your plans.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 01:48 PM

I've been here for about 15 years, and the drivers have always been angry, service snappish, and people generally rude. But I love it anyway. The only real changes I've noticed recently is that if you live or work on Capitol Hill, you'll notice a greatly increased presence of helicopters patrolling overhead.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 01:54 PM

I live in the DC metro area and see no reason not to come to DC.

I was on the mall last week and the area was filled with families, tourists, and locals. No one seemed concerned.

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 03:47 PM
E

Suzanne, right on! I don't wish to be flip about it, but how long are you prepared to hunker down, LTCM? I mean, it's not as though an "all clear" is going to sound any time soon, so if I were you, I would carry on with your plans. Have fun!
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 05:11 PM

I live in the suburbs and work in DC. Of course I worry about terrorism. Who doesn't?

I wouldn't write DC off as a tourist attraction due to speculations about possible tourist incidents. Those couldl happen anywhere.

The museums are still open. The White House has been closed to all but prearranged school groups since 9/11. That is not likely to change no matter how long you wait to visit.

Come on down! Tourism is down and you will have a great time.

By the way, I don't find that people are any different here post 9/11 unlike the other poster.