What would you do?

Dec 15th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

What would you do?

... if you placed on order with a large online retailer and a few days later, you receive a package with your order.

The next day, you receive a second package with duplicates of some of the items. Value of the duplicates - approximately $300.

You check the retailer online and your credit card statement. You've only been billed for the items one time.

We all know what's "right", but what would YOU do?
Dec 15th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry, I meant to post in the lounge. I will re-post.
Dec 15th, 2007, 06:59 AM

I'd call the retailer and request that they pick up the box sent in error. Stealing doesn't feel good to me.
Dec 15th, 2007, 07:24 AM

I'm with Abram. Call customer service for instructions to return the package. I'd want some sort of confirmation that the package was received in case they ever discovered the error and tried to bill me for the 2nd package.

Dec 15th, 2007, 09:30 AM
dmlove

FWIW, this is not "stealing". In fact, there's law in California that you are not under an obligation to return the second set. That said, personally, I'd also do what's right and call the company to retrieve the items.

Dec 15th, 2007, 09:37 AM
MaureenB

Probably you received someone else's order. I'd call the retailer to straighten it out.
>-

Dec 15th, 2007, 10:13 AM

You might be surprised, depending on the shipping cost. That happened to us one time with a large retailer that rhymes with Bait and Carol, and they said just to keep the "extra" shipping because the return and handling wasn't worth it to them. I don't think it was $300 worth of stuff, though, so YMMV.
Dec 15th, 2007, 11:02 AM
esm

I don't think it is unusual around this time of year.

I bought a rug on Ebay and the seller sent me two (two shipments). I had to hound the seller for a week to return it!

Dec 15th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Stealing: To take (the property of another) without right or permission

Whether you grabbed it off the store shelf or it came to you without your paying for it, keeping it would be considered stealing..

I am happy to think that I can afford most things that I want and nothing that I want is so important that I would keep it/take it without paying for it.

Sorry if this sounds prudish or whatever but the answer to this question seems to obvious to me..
Honest = give it back
Dishonest = keep it.
Dec 15th, 2007, 01:06 PM

It happened to me with Adobe. I e-mailed them, I called them, was put on hold for ever, on an international call (I'm in the Netherlands - they are in Ireland) I got no response. So I hung on to the second pack unopened for a month, then gave the software to my son. Adobe never responded, but I've found that to be typical of their European customer care.
I did my best to contact them - I wasn't going to return it at my expense - so I don't consider it stealing. It wasn't 300 dollars worth though.
Dec 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM

I would first look carefully at the original items to be sure there are no flaws or problems with them. If there are any flaws in the first batch, I would inspect the duplicate items to see if they were better. I would keep best specimen of each. I would contact the company to say they sent duplicates and ask them to set up return shipping at their expense so I could return the duplicates.

Besides the honesty issue, I would not want to get a surprise bill in the future for the second shipment, and have the hassle of explaining the situation. With my luck that is what would happen.
Dec 16th, 2007, 08:59 AM

It is a law in most states that if a merchant sends you unrequested merchandise, you are not obliged to do anything about it. This is to prevent some kinds of frauds where they send you the stuff and then insist you pay for it.

Also, it has happened more than once that a company has declined to pay for shipping for damaged merchandise that I was trying to return. It is easier for them to just refund the money.

I would adjust Scarlett's guidelines as follows:

Honest: make a good faith effort to return it (contact the company and try to speak to a human), but don't feel guilty if it is too much trouble or expense for you to deal with it.

Dec 16th, 2007, 09:31 AM

If it was from Victoria's Secret, I'd have a hard time returning it.
Dec 16th, 2007, 09:32 AM
dmlove

I completely agree with capxx. It isn't "stealing" -- you didn't take something without permission. You received something you didn't ask for. Big difference in my mind, and in the mind of the law. Again, I would make an effort to contact the company, but I wouldn't make a superhuman effort, and I wouldn't go out of my way.

Dec 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM

I'd be really reluctant to keep the goods - and I'd not rely on the fact that some states' laws allow you to keep it.

If you want to get the best item of each, fine. After that, call the company and tell them to send you a shipping label so you can have USPS or UPS (or others) pick it up and ship it at the retailer's expense.

Do unto others...