Reload this Page >

What To Wear In San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 07:12 AM
Elissa

I'm going to San Francisco for the 1st time next week. I'm from Dallas, TX (where the weather is extremely hot) and need to know what people wear during the day and evening in San Francisco. The temperature seems to be in the 50's and 60's this week, which sounds really chilly. I'm going to do lots of sightseeing during the day and nightlife in the evening.

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 07:40 AM
Rosemary

My answer doesn't have as much to do with weather-appropriate clothes as it does with dressy vs. casual. I spent 7 weeks in San Francisco two years ago and noticed that people are not as casually dressed as in other US cities; the tourists were casually dressed. Just an FYI...perhaps others disagree.

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 07:54 AM
jparrent

I go to SF on business a lot and the city and region is full of mirco-climates so be aware that if you venture west towards the ocean it is likely to be way different than if you go down the pennisula-which is much warmer and sunny. Especially this time of year you could get little drizzle and cool-even cold or really hot (maybe 80's-not so hot next to Texas maybe!)

Layers is probably a good idea-generally I dress kind of lightly and then throw in a raw silk jacket which is light and warm at the same time-or even light wool.

I agree with the previous posting that SF may be a bit dressier than you might expect-lots of black in the city even though it is California! Less casual than New York but still a bit dressed-however, the nice thing about california is that genrally most anything goes!

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 08:09 AM
Owen O'Neil

I can't comment on fashion issues re/ dressy vs.casual but did visit there in August several years ago. It never got hot enough during the day to mandate shorts or T-shirts (although it can be warm in the sun). The city's location relative to the bay and inland air masses creates some cool breezes and VERY cool evenings, particulalry in the summer. Definitely bring a light jacket and a sweater for possible evening use, especially if planning to be anywhere near the waterfront.

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 11:01 AM
kam

Live very near SF---go often. Generally this time of year we wear a lot of dark colored linens. Last week I wore a short sleeved T shirt, linen pants and a linen blazer--it's almost a uniform. Yes, it's the tourists you see in shorts for the most part, but SFrancisoans have been known to wear them!! (mostly Bermuda length though--not short athletic things.) Never go out without a jacket in the evenings---I have a black linen blazer that gets more than it's share of wear. The fog rolls in about 4-5 pm and then things get almost cold (I'm sure compared to Texas!) If your hotel is in a quiet area, you will not need and may not have air conditioning!! It's in the 50s at night so great to sleep. If you plan to go out on the bay during the day (like to Alcatraz) be sure to pack a cotton sweater. And, layer, layer, layer--the temps change all the time. Nightlife gets rather formal but again darker than you're probably used to. Today it's supposed to be 75, but that will only be in midday until the fog rolls in. Last week, however, it got up to 85 which is very hot in SF. It's a crazy year--we are blaming it on El Nino. Hope ;you enjoy!

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 12:31 PM
Elissa

Thanks for all the advice. Kam, is there a lot of walking at Alcatraz? Would jeans, sweater, etc. be the best? Also, I took your advice and have tickets to Beach Blanket Babylon. What's the attire for Club Fugazi? Also, would it be worth my time to go across the bridge to Muir Woods and perhaps Sausalito? I'm leaving Sunday evening and will only have 3 (Mon-Wed)full days and nights. Please advise. Thanks for all the other information

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 01:33 PM
kam

Elissa. There's about 10 stories of steps to climb from the dock up to Alcatraz. Wear Reebok type shoes, blue jeans would be OK and yes a heavy cotton sweater or light jacket. The attire for Club Fugazi I would wear would either be my uniforms of linen jacket, linen slack and t shirt or substitute a dark, long skirt for the slacks. It's not dressy. Have dinner first or after somewhere in North Beach and then walk. Muir Woods is nice, but requires a car. Instead of Sausalito, I would take the ferry over to Tiburon and have a great Mexican lunch with margaritas at Guaymas on Main Street. Beautiful views back across the Bay---bring a telephoto if you have one. Just in the city last Saturday and froze walking back to car in short sleeved linen jacket----the winds came in with the fog!! Went to see Miss Saigon and no, I wouldn't recommend it! Our Opera season starts soon, however, and the Opera House is beautiful if you can get tickets. Anything in that area, you will need restaurant recommendations because it's just on the edge of the Tenderloin which is not nice. Don't know what type of nightlife you're looking for but there's a funny old place called Pier 23--a saloon with all types of live music every day but Monday--it's at Embarcadero and pier 23. Otherwise, most of the clubs are SOMA--south of Market---some gay some straight--you need to choose
the one we like is Slim's on 11th street or the huge Paradise Lounge on Folsom. (11th St. is a good place to start looking)