Reload this Page >

Boston hotels filled;now what do I do?? :*-(

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 1998, 08:53 AM
mids

Okay gang...again, thanking you for all your help and patience...here's another question now.

As many of you predicted, the hotels would be full (I'll be there 9/24 to 9/29). So, next question would be..what is the city or town nearest to Boston where I might be able to get a hotel, reasonable price, and then just take a taxi to downtown Boston. I frown upon the transit system, as I'm not familiar with it and could become lost..Living in S. florida, the transit system is BAAAD LOL

Thanks a zillion!

[email protected]

Old Aug 29th, 1998, 03:06 PM
Owen O'Neill

Hi again Mids - you show everywhere, don't you though? {
Not terribly familar with the Boston suburbs but they are numerous and many are quite pleasant. I recall visitng Medford many years ago when looking at Tufts University and had a good impression of it. Medford and many other towns are so close to Boston proper that they are considered almost a part of the city. The factor that you should consider about the Northeast in general is the excellent public transportation systems. Boston, NY, Washington DC and to some extent Philadelphia all have very good public transport, in most cases including commuter trains in from the suburbs (almost impossible to get lost on them), subways, buses and streetcars. If you must stay outside the city, consider a suburb that's close(such as Medford and others) and has a college or university. That will ensure that there's some activity and interesting restaurants if you should choose to spend any evenings close to the hotel. Commuter trains in all major NE cities are exactly that: Rapid transport for professional people who commute to the city center for work. They're clean, fast easy to figure out and you'll find them quite pleasant. They are NOT in any way similar to the public transport you may be thinking of in places like Miami. Cabs are far too expensive to take in from the suburbs and terribly slow as well. You can check out all the Boston area commuter train maps, schedules, fares etc. at
http://www.mbta.com

Old Aug 29th, 1998, 03:20 PM
Mids

Owen, thanks a million..."-)

Old Aug 29th, 1998, 03:21 PM
Jody

When planning a trip, especially to a heavily touristed area during the most popular time for visiting, it is wise to book hotel accomodations forthwith. I always book at least one hotel room as soon as I decide where and when I'm going. The farther in advance you book, the greater the selection and the more likely you will obtain a room in the price range and location at your destination most in line with your budget and your preferences. To everyone out there who shops obsessively for hotels in tour guides, over the web, and on travel boards, for months on end, consider that, by the time you make up your mind, all of your narrowed down selections may be booked. So, whenever you are planning a trip, my advice is to get yourself to your local bookstore, read the accommodations section in every guide available for your destination, write down a few which please you relative to location, price, amenities, and convenience to public transportation or with parking facilities to your liking, then book a room, making careful note of the cancellation policy. After that, you can continue to shop and compare and make a new reservation if you discover something better. I am a huge fan of AAA. The tour guides and maps alone are more than worth the annual membership fee. The TripTix are spectacular, as they provide turn by turn maps far more detailed than any I've ever seen elsewhere and they do a decent job of steering you around traffic and construction congestion. The tour guides are also wonderfully organized and plot hotels on maps of the city centers, along with the surrounding communities. Public tranportation stops are clearly marked so you can easily determine how close an establishment is to public transportation. In the 20 years I've been a member, I've found the hotel listings to be completely accurate and reliable. Many, many hotels offer discounts to AAA members, and discounts are also offered at numerous popular attractions, museums, etc. While I very much enjoy researching and planning using the web and travel boards, there is no substitute for good tour guides and local maps. I also like to pick up two or more additional tour guides, as some are more comprehensive than others in various areas than others. Since you're spending a considerable amount on your trip, these tools are not the place to trim your budget. The more you know before you go, the more enrichment you'll receive from the experience.

Old Aug 29th, 1998, 06:44 PM
Kevin Rodriguez

First, try Cambridge although it most probably will also be full. Cambridge is right across the river from downtown and is quite accessible. There are several hotels right along the river that will be on the higher side ($150+). The Royal Sonesta (Land Blvd.) and Kendall Sq. Marriott (next to MIT) are nice. There is also a relatively new hotel near by but off the beaten tourist path. I think it's called the Cambridge Inn and it's run by Ramada. It's on the McGrath-O'Brien Hwy and about a 2 minute walk to Lechmere station on the Green line. Over all try Cambridge. Don't try Somerville no matter what people say. The only place that you'll hear about will probably be the Holiday Inn, which is fine, but it's in a very bad part of town.

Second, the T is your friend. Don't be afraid of mass transit in this town, as long as you stay in the normal tourist or business areas.

Other 'burbs, if you need to go out real far (10-12 miles): Days Inn Saugus, Motel 6 Danvers, Marriott Peabody & Burlington, Colonial Hilton Wakefield. These are all north of the city. If you look south, you'll be more than 15-20 "non-rush-hour" minutes to town. Also I think there's a Raddision in Woburn. Good luck.

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 03:55 AM
Donna

Hi again! I used to commute on the B&M train from the Wakefield station. It's fine. It will bring you to North Station. From there you can walk to Fanueil Hall or get on the subway which can take you to Haymarket or the Aquarium. If think the stop for Newbury St area would be Kenmore Square. There are different routes which are shown in color. Once you're on the subway you can change to a different route at an intersecting point. However, if there are several of you traveling together it might be easier to take a cab, especially if where you're going isn't close to the subway stops. Or you can drive in from the suburbs and park at a station like Lechmere. No one drives in Boston if they don't have to. We don't even like to go to Logan Airport. Last time we were in Boston it was 5:30 AM on a Saturday. The driving wasn't too bad then!!! We still had to ask a cop how to get to the bus station since it's been moved. That's another idea, you can take a bus in from suburbs (even as far North as NH!) and you will be deposited over South Station and from there you can also take the subway to other points. The new bus station is very nice, sort of like a small airline terminal. The drivers said it was a safe place. Public transportation is fine, altho the subway is pretty old and grubby. Just don't use the subway at night.

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 06:37 AM
HotelHarry

Somehow this got posted on the "Warning Thread". Refer to that thread also for my message. Anyways I am reposting it here.

Read my posting on the on line services in your other thread "Warning ...". Hopefully you will realize that booking on line is fine. At least it is with "Travel Web". Next use "Travel Web" ( Hotel Reser... ) and you
will find out what you want.

www.travelweb.com

It will include hotels in the outlying areas as well as Boston itself. There are often maps and other info. If you find availability on line then book it. You will save money and it is very easy.

If "Tavel Web" shows availablity then you have no problem. It doesn't matter if the hotel reports a sold out
condition if contacted directly. I guarantee that if you can book the room on line then you WILL have a room. You get a confirmation number and everything. On line is the only way to go unless you are looking for 50% off via "Entertainment".

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 04:03 PM
Mids

From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU to those of you who have helped and continue to assist me in my quest to have a nice time in Boston. I am so grateful to you all, that there are just no words except a sincere THANK YOU!

The reason I believe I may be going alone is because I made all these plans in July and was going to be staying with my tripmates aunt. Now, my tripmate may not be going, hence, at this late date, I am trying to find lodging for myself only.

Thank you all again!
[email protected]

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 08:49 PM
Angela

Mids: You are positively a disgrace to these message boards. You outright ADMIT that you have sought advice, yet failed to heed it. Please go away! Those of us so generous as to share bargains we have discovered through extensive investment in research, planning and personal experience, simply do NOT appreciate the likes of you who attempt to cull insider tips from those of us who have paid dearly for them - particularly since you seem not to be heeding any of it whatsoever. It is positively amazing that kind and experienced folks are willing to assist you with every detail of your trip, whereupon you continually ignore the advice and keep on asking incredibly stupid questions (albiet appearing to be ever so naive). Get with it - will you? Get a MAP, buy a TOUR GUIDE, develop an ITINERARY. If you haven't the wherewithall to put this together on your own, book a bus tour or something. But, please, oh please, stop pretending that you are actually planning to do any of this.

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 04:22 AM
Mids

Thank God that the likes of Angela are the minority in society.

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 04:26 AM
Owen O'Neill

What happened to gentility, hospitality and understanding? A message to Angela and all others who post responses of a similar vein: PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES ON RUDENESS. If you disagree with them you're free to go elsewhere but many of us like it here at Fodor's because the people are genuinely nice, helpful and POLITE. We're not all savvy, experienced, confident travelers with great insights and a total absence of "naive" questions. What may seem naive to you is a perfectly rational question for another. No one is required to read any of these posts or reply to them. Let those of us who reply determine whether it's the worth the effort to do so(obviously we've already done so or we wouldn't be responding). I don't personally know Mids but resent that you question her honesty and sincerity. I happen to be a lifelong resident of the Northeastern US and take pride and pleasure in offering any kind of direction to someone visiting here.
Mids, if you're reading this HAVE A GREAT TRIP AND KEEP COMING BACK TO FODOR'S!!

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 11:40 AM
Mids

Owen, thank you for much for your support. I agree with everything you said. As you can see, I won't be apologizing for my naivete on not remembering NY or Boston to the tee. I hope to also helps others who visit my beautiful city (and many do) and return the favor in some way. I've always believed that nothing takes the place of a human being who knows their way around their own city. Guide books are great, but can't give you the flavor that someone who resides there or has visited often can offer. Again, I thank you. You are a real gentleman. Hospitality indeed.

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 02:40 PM
Cheryl Z.

Mids, do you have a gold or platinum credit card? If so, contact their travel dept. AX Platinum has helped us a great deal including just a few weeks ago in "sold out" Bergen, Norway. We'd had a heck of a time finding something, and they were great. They even followed thru on a problem. You can get discounted prices on better rooms too. Good luck.