What to pack for Salvo NC mid April early May 2023

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2023, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I try to pack lightly, (but never seem to be able to). Staying in Salvo, for the kiteboarders we're with, but two of us aren't kite boarders and plan to go on day hikes, exploring, etc. Getting out in nature.
Would appreciate a packing list (lol) for the almost two weeks we'll be there.
How has the spring been shaping up this year in the area?
Should we bring bathing suits, or definitely not? Do we need water shoes? Would a light fleece do the trick, or a fleece with a thin (thinsulate) zip up coat be wiser?
Capris or long pants? Sandals or socks and shoes?
Or all of the above?
I have a rather heavy raincoat from LL bean - should I bring that, or a windbreaker?
Hiking shoes or are sneakers okay for exploring?
Has anyone walked the sand dunes I have heard mention about but don't know anything more except its a lot of walking on sand dunes to get to some place.
We are into nature and horse shoe crabs and also the wild horses but kind of doubt it'd be easy to see the wild horses -
We leave in a couple of days.
Never been, so just wondering.
Thank you
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 02:03 AM

I don't know OBX but layers always work. Not the heavy raincoat--don't tempt the rain gods. Pants of all lengths. Swim suits for your tans if not swimming.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 05:23 AM

Go to weather.com, Look up Hatteras NC or Rodanthe, NC and they have 10-day forecasts.

It looks like pleasantly cool temps over the next 10 days with showers this weekend. But you said "mid April" so I assume you are almost already there.

I would bring a rainjacket. Bathing suits don't take up any room but I don't think you'll need one.

Depends on what weather you are used to. I would bring a fleece and some kind of waterproof or water resistant jacket.

Last edited by mlgb; Apr 19th, 2023 at 05:28 AM.
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I appreciate it. Got those pants packed - and ditched the rain coat for a poncho. Hope the poncho will be enough - thanks again!
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Appreciated!!!

Originally Posted by mlgb
Go to weather.com, Look up Hatteras NC or Rodanthe, NC and they have 10-day forecasts.

It looks like pleasantly cool temps over the next 10 days with showers this weekend. But you said "mid April" so I assume you are almost already there.

I would bring a rainjacket. Bathing suits don't take up any room but I don't think you'll need one.

Depends on what weather you are used to. I would bring a fleece and some kind of waterproof or water resistant jacket.
THANKS SO MUCH. You are very helpful, very kind. Thanks.