drive from western NY to Salvo OBX

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be driving from Buffalo, and meeting up with my daughter, from Syracuse, somewhere in between (Batavia maybe?). We'll drive a few hours on Friday night, 08/22, then stop for the night. Then head on to Salvo in the Outer Banks on Saturday. I understand that we're gonna hit traffic, but are there any thoughts on how we can minimize the traffic? I've heard that the south bridge near Manns harbor isn't as bad as the north bridge. But when I try to mapquest it, it seems to take me quite a bit longer. Is it worth it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:05 AM

I have driven from Buffalo to the Outer Banks many times and my only suggestion is that if you can do most of your driving on Friday, do it. We always drove to Norfolk Virginia on Friday and then got up early Saturday and had no traffic getting into the Outer Banks. We packed a cooler and hung out at the beach and development pool until our house was ready.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:02 AM

The big "problem" on the changeover days (Saturdays and Sundays) is on the Wright Memorial Bridge and those traffic lights on the "island" side...Rte 158 IOW.

If you get there early enough (before noon) or later in the day (after 2-3 PM) it won;t be as bad.

Are you renting a house?

What time can you occupy it?

Can you get early check-in?
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:06 AM

PS..no I would not go out of my way...stick with the Rte 168-158 idea...buy some fresh fruits and veggies on the way in along 158 or stop at that hot dog place just this side of the bridge...you're at the beach don't forget and enjoy it.

And BTW, when you see me in my red Vette speeding past you (we'll be in South Nags Head starting the 23rd for two weeks) give a friendly wave...I'll run the speed trap interference for you, Buddy.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM

We are going for 2 weeks leaving on 8/15 also staying in Norfolk with final destination Corolla. Last year we got on the island very early and shopped, ate, etc. This year I was thinking of getting on the island later. My question is how late do you think we should leave Norfolk and guess we would somehow make arrangements to get the keys from our realtor? Also, since our house is not in a private development, if we got in early I don't know where we could park our car to go to the beach; I think there was some private parking in Whalehead?
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:27 AM

Generally agencies will leave keys in a lockbox or similar affair if you are fully paid and arrive after the office closes (and telling them in advance you are going to do this may be helpful, too)

Beach access in North Carolina is basically unrestricted by law and parking would certainly be available somewhere near at least one or more of the public access points...depends on where you want to go.

I still maintain that if you arrive later in the afternoon but certainly before 6Pm when a lot of the agency offices may close you should be fine.

Norfolk is 75 miles or so from Nags Head
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Unfortunately, we can't do the majority of the driving Friday. My daughter has to work. But from what Dukey says, it's not bad after 2:00 on Sat., so that's somewhat encouraging. We are renting a house - check in is not guaranteed until 6:00. But I'd like to get there earlier in case we can check in earlier. If not, we hang out at the beach, and watch for the red vette!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:36 PM

I know many people who have been stuck in traffic mid to late afternoon on Saturdays. Good luck.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:43 PM

And I have found the Norfolk traffic to be some of the worst - especially on weekends.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM

If there is anyway that your daughter can take Friday off from work she should do it. You'll end up with an extra day of vacation as you'll have most of the day Saturday on the beach, and you won't have all the headaches of traffic. There are alot of travellers coming from PA., Washington DC, NJ and Maryland and they all arrive during the afternoon hours. If you have to do the majority of your driving on Saturday then I would recommend you try to arrive very late afternoon or early evening. By the way, I have found that most years our house is ready well in advance of the advertised time and our wait time on the beach is not all that long.