What to pack for Boston weather?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to Boston in two days. I am so confused as to what to pack? I attached the weather for most of the time we will be there. Where I live we have almost no humidity. I don't want my kids to be too hot or to freeze. One day the weather says 80 degrees the next day is 66 degrees. What are you wearing in Boston today??
Sunday, Jun 5
Times of clouds and sun High: 80° F Low: 58° F
Monday, Jun 6
Mostly cloudy, rain possible High: 66° F Low: 58° F
Tuesday, Jun 7
Chance for a thunderstorm High: 72° F Low: 60° F
Wednesday, Jun 8
Warm with some sun High: 80° F Low: 60° F
Thursday, Jun 9
Mostly cloudy High: 76° F Low: 62° F
Friday, Jun 10
Clouds, rain possible High: 76° F Low: 61° F
Saturday, Jun 11
Clouds and sun High: 76° F Low: 59° F
Sunday, Jun 12
Mostly sunny High: 73° F Low: 55° F
Monday, Jun 13
Sunny High: 72° F Low: 52° F
Tuesday, Jun 14
Mostly cloudy, rain possible High: 74° F Low: 59° F
Wednesday, Jun 15
Overcast with rain possible High: 75° F Low: 61° F
Thursday, Jun 16
Considerable cloudiness High: 77° F Low: 62° F
Friday, Jun 17
Mostly cloudy High: 76° F Low: 61° F
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:15 PM

Sounds like shorts and t-shirt weather to me. A light jacket in case it starts to rain. The "lows" are nighttime temperatures...they might want to switch to long pants.

If you're not used to humidity...I'd say to add ten degrees to the temperatures that you've printed above and that's about how you're going to feel in Boston.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 02:47 AM

Forecasts for Boston longer than 2-3 days out are useless (with apologies to hard-working meteorologists). I think this is because of the many variables that can influence the coastal area - but I really don't know. All I can suggest is to bring layers - which I know is not very useful advice.

Also, temperature and cloud cover even 10 miles inland (think Lexington/Concord, for example) can vary by 10-15 degrees and be sunny rather than fog/overcast.

Clothing selection in Boston is always an adventure - Friday my daughter left the house with a sweatshirt and capri pants and the thermometer on our deck reading 51 degrees in overcast. It was 78 and really sunny by the time she got home at 2:30.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 05:41 AM

The other thing is that it is considerably more breezy downtown than in the burbs, so while the temps could be 75, downtown often feels like 65 near the water. Probably shorts, with a sweater for the kids during the day; in the evening they probably will want longer pants and also a sweater/light jacket. The weather is really changeable, so you need to have layers to add and subtract from day to day.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 06:06 AM

I live in the NE and when its 76 for the high it is hot due to the humidity. I'd just recommend taking a windbreaker because @ night in the NE it can get into the 50s. Also take like 2 knit tops that are long or 3/4 sleeves but other than that linen and cotton because it will be fairly warm.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:01 AM

HI, just an example. We left a T station that was about 3 miles from downtown Boston on Sunday of Mem Day wknd and it was hot and somewhat humid. We arrived downtown and there was a strong sea breeze that made it chilly bordering on quite uncomfortable for the way we were dressed. In Boston, at this time of year, the weather is often dependent on how close you are to the ocean. Afternoon sea breezes can make it feel like the temp has dropped 20-25 degrees. If you are going to be inland then it is another story....If you are at all familiar w/LA there is somewhat of a parallel w/near the water vs the valley, altho not exactly....Not very helpful, but on Thurs (June 1st!!) we were wearing fleeces in the evening and today it feels more like July!! You need at least one warm and one light sweater/jacket/fleece and both shorts and long pants...not very easy to pack for. For what it is worth, 4th of July is *usually* warm but I remember more than one, in the last 30 yrs where it was downright cold!!
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:22 AM

You have to leran to ignore forecasts more than 24 hours in advance. They are ferquently completely wrong just 12 hours out.

So be prepared for anything, and bring layers: you will probably be OK with shorts, but bring long pants for evenings or cooler days. Bring a warm layers, too, you just never know. And as others have pointed out, at this time of year the temperature in downtown Boston can be 20 degrees cooler than the inland towns.