Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to expect at Sally's Pizza in New Haven....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second class treatment to those who are not friends of the owner! Quite frankly, the staff there does not care if you have a long wait, are inconvenienced, or treated poorly in any way. People will keep returning and they know it. Last night, we were in line right when Sally's opened at 5:00 p.m. and were the third group seated. We gave our order and proceeded to wait one hour and forty minutes for our pizzas to arrive. Other diners who knew the owner were served promptly, and received second orders of pizza before our pizzas came. A woman sitting in back of us was yelled at by the owner when she politely asked again for paper plates because she did not think that the owner heard her the first time (these people were the first group seated and waited just as long as we did). A friend of ours who lives in Massachusetts stopped by Sally's on a Friday afternoon and waited 45 minutes for Sally's to open at 5:00 p.m. so he could bring a pizza back home. When Sally's did open, there were three people in line, including him. When our friend ordered a pizza to go, he was told it would be ready at 9:00 p.m. The owner said that they were just cooking pizzas for diners, even though there were just two people in the place. When he said that he lived in Massachusetts, the owner insincerely said to "call next time". We have heard many similar stories. While Sally's is great pizza, we can do without the "it's a privilege for you to be here" attitude. If you want pizza that is just as good (and many think better), and without the abuse, go to Pepe's or Modern Apizza!
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 03:40 PM

I've eaten in the "outbuilding" behind Sally's a few times and never had a problem there -- I highly recommend it.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:15 PM

When I go to Wooster St. for pizza I skip the Pepe`s and Sally`s and head to Perotti`s. I think the pizza is just as good without the wait. Try it.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 04:06 AM

Though I've lived near Wooster Street for many years, I've been to Sally's exactly once. Reason? Treatment similar to that of MarieF. Sorry to learn that their attitude hasn't changed.

hleesa - the "outbuilding" you refer to is "The Spot." It's not behind Sally's, but Pepe's, and is affiliated with them.

Just as they say that it's hard to get a bad meal in New Orleans, it's tough to get a bad pizza in New Haven. Pierotti's, Modern, Crown, and Bar area all excellent, without the lines and the attitude.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

To Ken and Bill: We've been to Modern, and it is excellent pizza, but have not heard of Pierotti's. Where is it? Is it thick or thin crust? Do you think it's comparable to the big three (Pepe's, Sally's and Modern)? Sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience at Sally's. Sad to say, your experience (and mine) is more likely to be the rule and not the exception.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Kent - thanks for the correction. In that case, skip Sally's and go to Pepe's - fantastic pizza.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 03:53 PM
scs

The lousy treatment is part of the whole experience. I don't think I would know what to do if we weren't getting yelled at! (If you want to try and get thrown out, hand them a credit card!!) If you know what you are getting yourself into, the pizza is great. Having said that, we do typically go to Modern when we are in CT. The pizza is just as good and they are very nice and accomodating. We have a tradition of going there with our friends the day after Christmas - sometimes 15 people - and they are always willing to accomodate us. We have a great time and are happy to have our fix of New Haven pizza.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 06:38 PM

Thought that this thread would drop off quickly, but pleased that it has not. My pizza du jour today, from Yalie's on Crown, was fresh tomato with red onion and broccoli. The side with "mozz" was better, but clearly not as healthful.

Semi-interesting sidebar" A few months ago, I was visiting Chicoutimi, several hours north of Quebec City, way off a main highway, and happened upon a local pottery. The CT plates were recognized and the potter waxed nostalgic about her time in New Haven, adding that she hasn't had a decent pizza since she left. Happens all the time.

Perrotti's is at 127 Wooster, about a block beyond Pepe's. Digital City refers to their pizza as "legendary." It's thin crust, comparable to the others. In fact, I don't think it's possible to get a thick crust pizza in New Haven.

Semi-interesting sidebar #2 - Bru Room at BAR at 244 Crown Street is another terrific option. You're in an real brewery and the pizza is every bit as good as the "big three." I heard a rumor that the pizza chef is a refugee from Sally's, and brought its secrets with him. Since I haven't been to Sally's in a quarter of a century, I wouldn't know. But the pizza sure is good, and it's great to have it with good quality draft beer.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:32 AM

A couple years ago we so enjoyed our lunch at Apizza Heaven in (of all places) Jerome AZ, that I told the waitress they should open a branch in Connecticut. Then we learned the chef/owner is from New Haven and related to one of the pizza families. So if you're ever in Jerome and want excellent New Haven-style pizza and good service, check 'em out!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Ken, thanks for your responses on Perrotti's and Bru Room. We'll check them out.