What to do with Unexpected Fortune

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Kristin

Hi everyone.
I haven't written any messages at this website before but I'm wondering what kind of suggestions people have for me and my husband.
We're in our late 20s and just inherited a large sum of money totally by surprise. We'll pay off our debts and put most of it away for savings, but we'd like to take a really nice vacation this fall. We live on the west coast and have been to the big tourist places like Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco.
Any ideas for someplace really nice?
I don't really want to travel overseas, so we're not too interested in Europe.
We just want to go somewhere really special.
Thank you.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 08:14 PM
xxx

Hawaii!!Maui & Kauai..
Aloha!!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:22 PM
Eric

My suggestion is to see Austrailia and New Zealand. These countries are beautiful, the people are friendly and the living is like the U.S. Plus you seem to have unlimited time and financial resources. I would consider this as these would be the only places I would live other than the U.S.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 04:38 AM
ilisa

May I ask why you don't want to travel overseas?

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Owen O'Neill

How about a trip to NYC? It's a great place to visit on any budget (within reason) but could be really fun if you can splurge for nicer hotels, better restaurants, good seats at shows etc.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 04:59 AM
chuck

I suggest taking advantage of some beautiful Fall scenery (especially if you might not have experienced it on the West Coast). You could start with spending some time in Washington DC--if you haven't seen all of the monuments and museums, you should really experience that. Then drive south through the Appalachian Mountains, including the incredibly beautiful Shenandoah Valley. If you time your trip right (probably mid to late October), you will see wonderful fall colors in this area. You may want to end up in Asheville NC (perhaps getting there via the Blue Ridge Parkway) and stay at the Grove Park Inn.

This itinerary in the Fall would perhaps give you a taste of something different. There are many possibilities along the way too--e.g., Luray Caverns; Monticello; Mt. Vernon; Linville Falls/Gorge.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Ess

Congratulations on your good fortune! Honestly, if I had that kind of freedom I'd just give the old globe a spin and go wherever my finger landed, or the nearest place to it if it landed in the middle of nowhere. I'm serious. I've always wanted to do that.

Do you like cities, or scenic landscapes, or both? I know you said you don't want to go overseas, but seeing as how you're on the west coast it seems a shame not to take advantage of the opportunity to see Australia and New Zealand.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 07:02 AM
jhm

Maybe the luxury route -- fly up to Calgary and go to Banff, Jasper Lake Lodge and Lake Louise. Your plentiful dollars will go even further in Canada, it won't be too long a trip, and the natural beauty is sublime.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 07:19 AM
L

As one option you could await cooler weather, then fly to New Orleans to try the food, then up to Chicago for that interesting place on the water, and finally to NYC for shows and restaurants and tall buildings, with possibly sidetrip to New England to see the leaves change. If you try this scenario, you could use the intervening time to make your plans. Enjoy the money, and have a good trip. Ciao

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Kristin

Thanks so much for the kind advice.
The reason I don't want to go overseas is fault of my own. I just don't like long plane flights and I don't like the idea of flying over the ocean. Another reason we probably won't go to Hawaii.
(Hopefully someday I'll get over this).
Owen, where would you recommend staying in NY? What would be the 2 or 3 most worthwhile things to see?
I've never been to Washington DC so that's something we've talked about.
And I've heard about the Banff area jhm. Where would you stay there if you had your choice of places?
Thanks again for all your comments!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:00 AM
sk

get one of the unlimited air travel tickets & try out lots of palces

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:02 AM
xxx

actually you can cruise Hawaii too!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:09 AM
philip

Stay at a great hotel for starters.
Two I would suggest are La Samanna in St. Martin or the Princeville resort in Kauai.
If you go to the American Express Platinum website (www.americanexpress.com/platinum) it lists some great hotels that are part of their network.
Hotels that are part of the "Relais and Chateau group" or "Leading Hotels of the World" are generally a cut above your typical spot. You might as well pamper yourself.

For something very different. I might suggest the Caribbean Island of Mustique. It is a small island that is very exclusive. (No regular commercial flights and no cruise ships. Boats with over 20 people aren't allowed to stop there.) Mick Jagger, David Bowie and members of the Royal Family own houses.
There is a hotel, the Cotton House, and about 70 villas and houses for rent.
Definately one of the coolest places I have been to. (You can fly there from Barbados.)
Have fun!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:52 AM
jan

Wow.. What a blessing- Congratulations.
I would definetely recommend Hawaii.. I know you mentioned you do not like long flights, but remember since you live on the west coast, the flight won't be as long. Is it 4 - 5 hours from California. It's so beautiful you'd be happy you went. Definetely stay in Maui.. I would splurge in one of the nicest hotels or condos. Look into it. It might not be as bad as you think. Plus you'll probably be in a DC10 plane-really big aircraft. They'll show movies or bring a portable DVD player. We did when we went. This way we were able to bring our own movies and watch.
Good Luck!!!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 09:00 AM
rudy

Hi Kristin,

How exciting for you! How about an Alaskan cruise package that enables you to cruise the inside passage and also travel inland. The sights are spectacular. We booked with Holland America, and the entire 15 day package was first rate. I'd recommend this trip to anyone.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:21 AM
I'll

I have a great suggestion -- you can give the money to me and I'll go to Europe. I've never been and the only thing that's holding me back is funds.

I'll even post a trip report when I get back!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Sal

You've gotten many wonderful suggestions, so I'll refrain. However, I will say that you are really missing out on some wonderful travels by not flying overseas. I sympathize completely--I used to be the same way. I finally bit the bullet. Go first class on a 777--you'll never know you're in the air.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Lauren

I would agree with the Holland America cruise to Alaska, as I've been on it when I was younger and have great memories. Also I've heard Vancouver is great. One more thing- read the book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" for a new philosophy on how to put the rest of the $ to work for you.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Daphne

I went through agony on flights to Europe until I began taking Valium [just for flying once or twice a year]. It had really allowed me to look out the window and enyoy the flight. If it weren't for the cost, I would take a cruise to Hawaii, getting off for as long as wanted, then catching another boat back to Calif. As for flying to Hawaii, if you look at a globe you'll see that while flying to Europe, even over-the-pole from the West coast, there is really not a lot of time when you are not over or quite close to land. Good luck!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 01:24 PM
phil

In Mexico, check out La Casa Que Canta in Zhijatenejo (I'm sure I butcherd the spelling) which is just outside Ixtapa. Rent a room with a private plunge pool.

Small hotel, great service, no kids!

If you are intent on staying in the U.S., go to Kauai and stay at the Princeville resort. (Especially if you like outdoor activites.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -