Reload this Page >

what to do, what to do.

Search

what to do, what to do.

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2000, 07:14 AM
Kate

what to do, what to do.

I'll be in Seattle for an intensive training session the first week of August. My boyfriend will be flying out to meet me on a Wednesday, and we'll have Wednesday night through Sunday night together.

I've only been to Seattle for one 24 hour job interview. My boyfriend has never been to the Pacific Northwest. My tentative itinerary has us staying in Seattle on Wednesday night and Thursday, then taking off somewhere for the weekend early on Friday. I'm tempted just to find some romantic place by the coast and to stay there, but the budget is tight. Does anyone have any suggestions? If we decide to go to Victoria or Vancouver, which is the better experience? We both like to hike, but are by no means fanatical. Food and music are important. But the most important thing is time together. Any suggestions, advice, help is welcome. Thanks!

Old May 23rd, 2000, 07:45 AM
John

Dear Kate:
For a getaway with saltwater frontage, you could stay at the Captain Whidbey Inn on Whidbey Island. The place has rooms in several price ranges (some are in the old log lodge), and there are lots of hiking trails nearby (most with saltwater views).

Old May 23rd, 2000, 07:47 AM
Christine

kate,

May I make a suggestion that you just stay put in Seattle? There is so much to see and do and it is such a romantic city (I met my husband in Pioneer Square and we were married on Lake Union). Walks around Green Lake, and the choice of restaurants is outstanding!, there is a very good zoo with a great Northwest wildlife and gorilla exhibits, check out the neighborhoods of Capital Hill, Fremont, Upper Queen Anne, rent some kayaks on Lake Union, wander around the beautiful University of Washington Campus and rent a canoe at the water activity center there on Lake Washington. Let us know how it goes.

A great place for a romantic get-away outside of Seattle is on the Olympic Peninsula, Victorian town of Port Townsend-but it might be out of your price range. In my opinion, Victoria is a better choice for romance over Vancouver, but also spendy.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 08:11 AM
John

Hi, Kate,
I also like the idea of staying in Seattle - there's a lot to do and the fact is that you'll be ariving at the peak of the visitor season and accommodation in "getaway" areas will be tight and costly. There are inexpensive day-trip excursions possible, such as a foot-passenger trip on the ferry to Bainbridge Island (arriving in Seattle at sunset on the ferry is very romantic, followed by an evening of music in Pioneer Square or Belltown, all walkable.)

If you do want to spend a night away, I'd recommend the train to Vancouver (daily service) and try to get one of the good deals in Vancouver hotels which may be available (even top places can be surprisingly affordable given the present exchange rate.) The train avoids hellish backups at the border (2 hours last Sunday) and is a lovely ride. Once in Vancouver there are even more great things to do (use the bus) such as strolls through Stanley Park, fun shopping and dining, pretty reasonable given the dollar. And, like Seattle, all in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 11:20 AM
kate

thanks for the ideas! maybe Christine is right and there's more than enough to keep us busy right there. Although John's suggestion of an island sounds lovely....

Old May 23rd, 2000, 04:19 PM
traveler

Sooke Harbour House just west of Victoria. A perfect retreat and definitely not to be missed. You won't be sorry. Stayed there in April and can't wait to go back.

www.sookeharbourhouse.com

Old May 23rd, 2000, 06:31 PM
John

Yeah. It's a great place to visit if you like raw seaweed in your cereal and sea urchin gonads on your toast!

Old May 23rd, 2000, 10:18 PM
Christine

Some more things not to miss:
Seattle Art Museum, a bike ride or stroll along the Burke-Gilman trail with a visit to Gas Works Park, best of view of Downtown Seattle in Seattle-Myrtle Edwards Park on Queen Anne, A picnic in Discovery Park, Alki Beach in West Seattle, or Golden Gardens Beach near Ballard, Ballard Locks,

Sunday brunch at Salty's on Alki (around $30, spendy but worth it!) or at local's favorites Hattie's Hat or Salmon Bay Café (for some down home cooking) in Ballard, yummy scones at the Hi-Spot Café in Madrona, or the Longshoreman's Daughter in Fremont, Lunch at Noodles in Fremont, coffee at Still Life in Fremont, dinner at Wild Ginger or salmon just about anywhere , a game of pool in Belltown Billiards,

The Arboretum, rent some rollerblades for Green Lake, pub crawl and music in Pioneer Square, wandering around Pike Place Market, window shopping at Nordstroms and Pacific Place, a pint of micro-brew at Hales Ales in Fremont or Pike Place Brewery at the Market, and definitely a State Ferry ride across Puget Sound and back at sunset as John recommends. Here is what I think is a great website for visitors:

http://seattle.sidewalk.citysearch.c...isitors_guide/

Old May 23rd, 2000, 11:49 PM
Nancy

We stayed at that Captain Whidbey inn on Whidbey island last August and were VERY DISAPPPOINTED in the place! Hardly romantic at all. It cost $125 a night to stay in a very very small room with a bath down the hall shared by about 15 rooms. And every room was booked. The rooms had hardly any sound proofing so we could hear the band downstairs in the bar very well until late at night and then in the morning the families with loud toddlers woke us up when they went to breakfast (I think it started at 7 am). We had one of the worst nights sleeps ever. And in the morning we couldn't even take a shower as in each (seperate sex) shared bathroom there was only 1 shower.....for 15 women. So we never could get to use it. Romantic? What BS.

Old May 24th, 2000, 05:55 AM
Kate

Wow. This is all really helpful. I'm being sold on the whole Seattle experience, and can hardly wait 'til August!

Since you've been forthcoming with advice, any recommendations on good downtown-ish B&Bs or interesting (but not expensive) hotels? Or independent reviews of Pensione Nichols near the Market, which looks promising?

And can we do the things people suggest without renting a car?

Thanks again,

kate

Old May 24th, 2000, 08:40 AM
Christine

Hi again Kate,

Couldn't resist replying again. First I would highly recommend you try a bid on Priceline, bid something like $75-90 for a four star and see what you get in Seattle. (I just got a room for Hotel Monaco Chicago in July for $90). Some decent, clean, reliable budget hotels in good locations Downtown (far from B&B though) are
the 6th Ave. Inn and Kings Inn (good locations). I recommend you check in the hotel profile of the sidwalk website I recommended earlier. The Ace Hotel on 1st Ave gets a recommendation. Another one I like is the Inn at Harbor Steps-sometimes they have deals. You could try here for discounts http://www.seeseattle.org/hotels/stay.htm. Whatever you do book ASAP!

Yes, it is possible to get around without a car, the buses are fairly reliable (though not brillant). Of special interest to you might be that Saturday/Sunday all day pass for $2
bus routes and info: http://transit.metrokc.gov/bus/bus.html

You may be wondering how I know all this-I had to do exhaustive research for my 40+ out of town wedding guests!

E-mail me if you'd like more recommendations.