Reload this Page >

what to do: taking an unwanted trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 08:39 AM
pablo

any suggestions out there? i am going to tucson, az. to visit my wife's sister. this is the trip where my wife will tell her that none of the family accepts her new husband. is there anything to do in the area during this painful family summit?

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Jared

Sounds like you need an escape from reality option.....I'd suggest hiking into Sabino Canyon. There's plenty of good hiking in the area. Just don't go during mid-day in summer without proper protection (sun) and fluids.
(Ain't bein' family fun! You have my sympathy, bro.)

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Dear Abby

Dear Pablo:

This really isn't anybodys business, but since you asked...

Why, pray tell, didn't the family impart this valuable piece of information to your sister-in-law BEFORE they were married? Isn't it a little too late now? As is usually the case, the guy's probably not that bad once you get to know him.

If your wife insists on pulling off this ill-advised adventure, take the high road, straight to the nearest bar.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Jan

What a lousy trip to go on with that kind of vibe in the air. Doesn't your poor sister-in-law "sense" that her hubby is persona non-grata or has the whole family been quiet? In any event, I can't imagine that the rest of your wife's family has acted so above reproach that they have right to judge the man. Unless he's a murderer or a drug dealer???

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 10:08 AM
pablo

the family really has kept quiet the whole 9 months of marriage. there is really too much to go into here, but the joblessness, tatoos and alcohol have all fueled the dislike.
i like the hiking idea. btw: is the university area worth hanging near. i am past that stage, but at this point i am game for anything.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 11:13 AM
Linda

Lots of things to do in Tucson:
- Old town is kind of interesting. Doesn't take too long, but somehow reminds you of portions of Europe.
- Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, andimals and plants in their natural habitats--one of the premier zoos in the world. Highly recomend for a new look at the desert.
- Old Tucson, an old west town that is a movie studio. MANY of the westerns you have seen were filmed there, High Noon, Stagecoach, etc. Well worth a day.
- San Javier del Bac Mission, one of the first in the southwest, and still in use as an Indian church today. Wonderful architecture, recently renovated. You can see it from miles away and know why it is nicknamed "White Dove of the Desert". One of my favorite sites in the world.
- Mount Lemon, ski resort on top of a mountain only 1 hour drive from the 100+ degree heat. Great in the summer: coolness and tall pines. Wonderful vistas.
- Museums in the University.
- Within a few hours: Nogales, Mexico; Tombstone; Bisbee; Phoenix; Scottsdale.

Have fun, if you can! Tucson is a marvelous town. And good luck with your situation.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 11:09 PM
ssmith

Why are you even going? I'd suggest staying home and sending your wife to go on her own!

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 05:00 AM
Al G. Bell

Pablo:

News flash! A new technological wonder called a "telephone" --- introduce your wife to this handy dandy device.

OR, if you truly believe it's worth the anguish & aggravation to plan a visit for the purpose of telling your sister-in-law what she probably already knows, then feel free. CAVEAT --- you know what happens to the bearer of bad news . . .

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 04:39 PM
Doc

Tell your wife in no uncertain terms you want no part of this sham and you are staying home. Sounds to me like your wife and her family ought to mind their own business. And if you go along with this crap you are nothing but a wimp!!!

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 10:31 PM
xxx

Why is your wife telling her sister all this... I bet she knows where all of her husbands tatoos are and everything else about him. He may even have some good qualities or at least she must think so if she married him. She also probably already knows what the rest of the family thinks of her husband. Maybe your wife (and the rest of the family) doesn't know as much about her sister and what's best for her as they think. Unless you've discovered his picture hanging up in the post-office of something she doesn't know about him this is a trip that I wouldn't make.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:47 AM
pablo

thanks everyone for the suggestions. my part of the trip went well. went hiking in sabino canyon, went to bisbee and tombstone, and old tucson. thanks for the suggestions.
ultimately, my wife kept quiet about the situation. the reason?.... sister-in-law said she is now expecting their first child. now we are just crossing our fingers.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Linda

Pablo, glad you had fun in Tucson. Can you answer a question for me, please? About 6 years ago, Old Tucson had a fire and much of the "town" burned down. Has it been rebuilt, or are there still areas closed off? I'm planning on going to Tucson within the next year and would like to see the new Old Tucson if it exists.