Notices

What to do ? Stop over LAX

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do ? Stop over LAX

My wife & I are arriving on flight from HNL to LAX in Oct 04. We arrive at 5am and our connecting flight leaves at 5 pm on the same day. Any suggestions to help us pass the time ?
- Go to a hotel for a few hours sleep ?
- Go into Los Angeles ?
- Can we leave the airport if we have connecting flights & bags are check through to our final destination ?

Any help would be great
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 06:39 AM

there were a couple of replies to a similar message recently... type in LAX in search and see what is there...
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Jun20

My first thought was the Getty Center, but October 4th is a Monday, and it is closed on Mondays.

Arriving at 5 a.m., I guess finding a place for breakfast would be first on the agenda. Also, it is the beginning of the morning rush hour.

You can take a cab or go by bus to Santa Monica. Walk to the beach, the pier, or walk around the Promenade. You should find plenty of restaurants and people watching there.

To take the bus, you take the free LAX Shuttle #C to the transit center. Then board the Santa Monica Bus (Big Blue Bus) #3 to 4th and Colorado. It probably takes 30-45 minutes. The fare is 75 cents.

You will pass Venice Beach, but Santa Monica has more options, easier and more compact.

The Hilton has a 24 Hour Fitness, and there's a free shuttle bus if you want to rest, shower, etc.

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 08:00 AM

I do not believe you can check your bags thru with that much of a time gap.
Therefore, I would search around for a cheap hotel, airport proximity, to set up "base" for the day. Leave your luggage and take a cab to Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica. If you had enough of the beach from Hawaii, then Santa Monica offers more to do
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your help, you have answered all my queries, wasn't sure about the security situation and leaving the airport while waiting for a connecting flight.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 12:59 AM

The bags should already be checked in for your ongoing connection, so you won't have to worry about them. If you do leave the airport, just make sure you have enough time when you return to get back through security. If it is open at 5:00am, Encounters restaurant at LAX might be a good and easy stop for breakfast. Here is the number (310) 215-5151 if you want to call to check opening times.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Encounter (no "s") is only open for lunch and dinner, from 11 am to 9 pm