Reload this Page >

What to do in Phoenix?

Search

What to do in Phoenix?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 05:48 AM
Pam

What to do in Phoenix?

I'll be going to Phoenix for the first time on the 5th of May..would someone suggest things to see or do there please? Am open for suggestions. Thank you.

Pam

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Kyra

Most important question of all: will you have a car?
Public transport is weak at best.
My favorite thing to do is to leave town. Go to Sedona or out into the desert.
Phoenix attracts people who love the outdoors and that's it's greatest asset IMO. Yes there are a couple decent museums. But PHX is short on culture and long on golf, hiking, tennis and sightseeing (outdoors) opportunities.
But in town, shopping is best at Galleria, Biltmore Fashion Square and Borgata.
Restaurants: depends on what cuisine you prefer.
What do you like to see/do?

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Karen

Kyra is correct about the public transportation, you will need a car. I think Phoenix has loads of things to see and my visitors are especially impressed by our downtown. There are no end of things to see...Heard Museum, Arizona Center, Bank One Ballpark, Taliesin West, Fountain Hills, Old Town Scottsdale and on and on. Look back on past responses on sightseeing in Phoenix. Many people have answered this same question and you will get some good ideas......oh, another, driving The Apache Trail is a good trip and driving one hour out to Wickenburg.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:38 PM
jim

The previous post's comments are revealing, in that most of the spots mentioned are OUTSIDE Phoenix, and that one of the "places to see" in the city is the baseball park.

Summary: It's true there are interesting things to see and do near Phoenix, but the city itself is pretty blah. I say that after having been there three times on business.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Peter

I've lived in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area for over ten years.
Yes, you'll need a car. And it'll depend on your likes, where you're staying, budget, etc., as to what to recommend.
If you do go to Sedona (day trip) don't miss taking a Pink Jeep Tour. A lot of fun. And don't miss stopping in Jerome (an old mining town) on the way up or back from Sedona. (Hint: Leave early or spend one night).
Anyway, e-mail me and I'll give you some ideas that'll fit your criteria.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Paul Rabe

Some things I like (you'll need a car):

South Mountain Park (great to drive up there for sunsets); Papago Park; Heard Museum (a must for Native American art); Fountain Hills (world's highest fountain)

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 09:30 PM
LANIE

If you like antique shopping,Glendale(Phoenix area) has dozens and dozens of great antique shops. Even if you don't buy anything, it's interesting to see all the old stuff!

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 09:56 PM
david

it would be helpful to know some of your interests etc. Downtown Tempe has the makings of a college town; check to see what may be of interest at the Orpheum and Herberger theaters downtown; There will be lots of Mexican Independance day celebrations on the 5th of May; check out some Mexican Restaurant celebrations;
If you reply with some of your particular likes, I'm sure you'll get a lot more specific suggestions.

Old May 5th, 2001, 05:42 AM
steve

too late now, but on May 5th, there are plenty of Cinco De Mayo events going on

Old May 5th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Sarah

The Botanical Gardens are beautiful and well worth checking out.

Old May 6th, 2001, 10:11 PM
Kate

Having been to Phoenix many times as a tourist, my advice to you is to drive down to Tucson. I have never seen a place with as many great, one-of-a-kind things to do in its vicinity. And it is wonderfully laid-back. The only Phoenix
attraction is the Heard Museum.