Reload this Page >

What to do in New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Susanne

My husband and I will be in New Orleans on a Wednesday and Thursday the end of May. What are the "Must See" spots? Thanks

Old May 14th, 2002, 02:15 AM
Cindy

Jackson Square, French Market, Bourbon Street, maybe a paddleboat cruise adn/or a city tour with a cemetery stop, the St. Charles Streetcar, Riverwalk Mall and maybe the Zoo. I'm sure other people will give more ideas soon. Have fun!

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Tom

Pick up a copy of Frommers New Orleans 2002, its superior in everyway to Fodors book of the same name. Enjoy.

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:01 AM
kal

Or do our favorite..get the window barstool at Pat Obrien's annex on Bourbon St and just let the gooood times roll!
Music, food and watching the people will all be fun for you. We can't wait until October.
And watch out for attractive, petite brunettes from Ohio. NOLA brings out their wild side!
Kal

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Meg

You can't (unfortunately) eat and drink nonstop, so there are some things to check out while you're digesting. Skip the Voodoo Museum, it's really cheesy and a waste of money. I really enjoyed the Pharmacy Museum though, and I went there on my 21st birthday! Vintage shopping is great in the Warehouse district, the perfume shops in the French Quarter are lovely.
Enjoy!

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:22 AM
kal

Meg, are you the "one and only" NOLA Meg?
If so, been worried about your absence and great NOLA info!
If not, welcome aboard.
Kal

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:05 PM
T

definitely take an informative walking tour of the French Quarter. The friends of the Cabildo offers a good one with State licensed guides. You can get tickets in Jackson Square.

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Pat

Take a city tour by bus to get a really good overview of the entire city and later tour the French Quarter by foot and be sure to grab a po-boy at Maspero's at Jackson Square facing the river. Just ask anyone they'll know where it is. Pat

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Statia

Don't forget to have coffee and begnets (sp?) at Cafe Dumonde.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Leslie

Pat O'Briens Dueling Pianos is great with a fun crowd there. All the above mentioned are good ideas. If you like walking tours, there's Lafayette Cemetery where you can check out the Garden District, home to Anne Rice. Also, there's a great Vampire walking tour (it's not as sommercial as the other ones, but good)that leaves at 8:00 p.m. (I think) from Jean Lafittes Blacksmith's House (it's a cool bar). Also check out Snug Harbor (I think) for great Jazz where many of local musicians hang to listen to good music.

Old May 17th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Tom

Take a stroll down the Riverwalk, next to the Mississippi, and enjoy the views.

Old May 17th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Nelson

Find out where Big Al Carson is playing and GO!!!
Heard a tour thru Garden District makes for a lovely day.
Cheers,
Nels

Old May 17th, 2002, 05:43 PM
kristen

Of all the suggestions mentioned above I think these are the highlights: Cafe Du Monde (for cafe au lait and beignets); a walk down Bourbon St. (even though it's trashy, you have to see it); get a drink at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop (on Bourbon St.... it's the oldest bar in New Orleans); take the streetcar down St. Charles Ave.; take a walking tour of the Garden District (if you have time); go antique shopping along Magazine St. (there are also lots of coffee shops and boutiques too; buy a daiquiri at the drive-thru daiquiri shop at the end of St. Charles Ave.; see Jackson Square; walk along the river and check out the Riverwalk. Have a great time!

Old May 17th, 2002, 05:43 PM
kristen

Of all the suggestions mentioned above I think these are the highlights: Cafe Du Monde (for cafe au lait and beignets); a walk down Bourbon St. (even though it's trashy, you have to see it); get a drink at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop (on Bourbon St.... it's the oldest bar in New Orleans); take the streetcar down St. Charles Ave.; take a walking tour of the Garden District (if you have time); go antique shopping along Magazine St. (there are also lots of coffee shops and boutiques too; buy a daiquiri at the drive-thru daiquiri shop at the end of St. Charles Ave.; see Jackson Square; walk along the river and check out the Riverwalk. Have a great time! Oh, and I almost forgot... the D-Day Museum is supposed to be WONDERFUL!

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Ashton Meshling

I agree with the above posts. Just
get drunk and listen to VooDoo stories.
There's nothing else to do in New Orleans.

Old May 18th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Randy

Pat O'Brien's duelling pianos are an absolutely great time. Plan to stand in line, you can only go in when seats open up. Buy a Hurricane and participate (keep in mind that the glasses are yours to keep or return to the bar on the way out for a $3 refund). The piano players can play nearly anything--be sure to request You Picked a Bad Time to Leave me Lucille.

Go to Gumbo Pot for a nice dinner and plan to do Court of Two Sisters for a wonderful brunch each day from 11-3. You won't leave hungry and won't probably need to eat again all day. Also plan to catch a meal at Commander's Palace, a great place in the Garden District. Also, get a mufalleta sandwich at the grocery across from the Flea Market and Cafe Du Monde on Delta(?).

Note-the street car is not running on part of Canal right now due to construction, but the St. Charles car is running.

The Garden Tour is also a great way to see some of the wonderful old architecture of the area. Be sure to see the Corn Stalk Iron fence in the garden district, just down the street from Commander's Palace.

Also consider a swamp tour--brochures are everywhere and at most hotels.

Have fun!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:44 AM
Jeff Nevins

I'm planning a trip, and found this info useful. I've never been there, so it should be a blast. I'm thinking of going in a month or so.

How's public trans.?

Anyone read Confederacy of Dunces?

Thanks.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 01:42 PM
xxx

I disagree with the Riverwalk Mall as a Must Do. A mall is a mall if you as me. But I strongly agree that seeing at least one of the "cities of the dead" (above ground cemetaries) is a MUST. We have toured the St. Louis No. 1 where voodoo priestess Marie Laveau is buried with the New Orleans Ghost Tours (Tom Duran was the guide). We also have seen the LaFayette cemetary as part of the Garden District tour by Historic New Orleans Tours. Both are excellent. I must emphasize that you should ONLY see the cemetaries with a group (as on a tour) for safety reasons.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 02:26 PM
native

Note to Kristen: The daiquiri shop at the end of St. Charles Ave. (Riverbend) is not a drive thru. You do have to get out of your car to go in, however, this being New Orleans, you can of course get it to go. Also, keep in mind, if you arrive there by street car, generally, the conductors will not let you bring your daiquiri on board.

Old May 24th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Tom

Jeff - I just re-read Confederacy of Dunces - one of the funniest books I've ever read. (For everyone else - excuse the off-topic post - I know that's not responsive to the original poster but at least the story takes place in NO.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -