WHAT TO DO IN COLORADO?

Search

WHAT TO DO IN COLORADO?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT TO DO IN COLORADO?

Hi, me and some friends are going to Colorado this December for a little ski trip...we know that were going to snowboard in Keystone, and Breckenridge. We are just trying to see what else we can do, or what are some really great tourist attractions that anyone can recommend from personal experience. also were staying In FairPlay, (about 20 min from breckenridge) thanks guys
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 07:43 PM

Why Fairplay? It may be 20 mins in good weather and who knows how long in bad weather. You have to go over Hossier Pass to get to Breck. There are some typical tourist sites and museums in Denver, Georgetown, Glenwood Springs,etc. Just what are your interests?
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

me and some friends rented an great ski cabin out near FairPlay...im mainly interested in scenic views...nature scenes that take my breath away...
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:25 AM

That is a fairly isolated areas, out of the way area so I am sure you got a great deal. That is the south park area and there is very little to see or do south of there. The main tourist attractions will be north and west of Breckenridge. Probably should just focus on snowboarding and save the sightseeing for a summer trip. If the weather is bad, Hoosier pass can be a little tough getting over.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM

Maybe there's some quirky South Park things to do?
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
There is a lesser known wilderness area by South Park called the Lost Creek Wilderness. December is questionable for road travel to remote areas, but one never knows.

If you want uncommon scenic views you should keep this in mind. Relatively few people go here, use caution if you strike out onto roads and trails in winter.

The elevation is somewhat lower than many of the high alpine areas of Colorado, but it's rugged, spectacular country, if that's what you are looking for:
http://www.summitpost.org/lost-creek-wilderness/178676
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 03:11 PM

I like the Tubing Hill at Keystone.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:42 PM

There is dog sledding too. Very fun and you get great views. Pricey though. Mountain Mushers is very good.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 04:21 AM

I "think" this is the same poster that was staying CO springs or such for skiing!!
If you go tubing, make a reservation, I think. It fills up.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 06:54 AM

You are correct Gretchen and we beat it to death on the earlier question. This is not making a lot of sense. His earlier posting said that they could not break the deposit for Woodland Park and now have moved closer. Someone needs to take a look at a map. Depending on where they are staying in Fairplay they are at least 25 miles from Breck and probably 45 minutes as min for driving.

That area is full of little cabins (and some big ones) on private roads. So make sure the cabin is on an accessible road with some type of snow removal. Snow at that time is very iffy. Can go either way. Right now we are setting up and local forecasters are suggesting a snowy winter. Denver already has received over half of the snow that they had all last year. And being from Texas, you may not appreciate how quickly things can go bad if the weather turns.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 08:48 AM

No, I think they were able to get out of the WP rental pretty cheaply. I thought they were going to Frisco, but.....

The point about snow removal is really key. The cabin (family) we stay at in Silverthorne has a scheduled plow when it snows--otherwise, we would be spending the day inside.