What to do in Chicago

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 02:21 PM
Andre Chen

What to do in Chicago

I'd like a few responses on attractions in Chicago over the fourth of July. If possible, please include ideas for outdoor activities, dining, shows, museums, and shopping. I'll be in the downtown area, so tailor your responses around that vicinity. Thanks!

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 02:45 PM
Angela

Try the marine museum (near the water). You have to eat Chicago style pizza. Walk around and look at the architechture (spelling!). Also go to the Tourism office (downtown) - great info and a reco on the pizza. Shop (or window shop) - some of the best (classy, expensive) stores around. Lastly - the people are VERY nice.

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 03:02 PM
JoAnn

Try these sites for more info. A friend sent one for our upcoming trip to New Orleans and it had wonderful info plus restaruants AND menus! The sign in page on Fodor's has a "plan your trip" section too.
www.expedia.com/
http://members.aol.com/dadeacn/dest/index.htm
The one I was sent was
http://neworleans.tqn.com (you can probably back track)
Try a www. chicago too, that might produce something!
Don't know if "Taste of Chicago" is going on or not. Try finding the Chicago Tribune online. I do believe there is a way to get an architectural walking tour of the downtown area. "Do" the shops on Michigan Ave. Go to the top of the Hancock building and/or Sears tower. Walk along the lake--it is so beautiful there. There is the Field Museum, and Museum of Science & industry (bus rides to them from downtown)
Have fun!

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 06:34 PM
Parikh

If you are a fan of baseball, even a casual watcher would admire Wrigley Field. It's a beautiful park near the lakefront and it's full of history. Check it out if you have time- it's on Lake Shore Drive.

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 10:15 AM
KC

You should check out Navy Pier it has all types of stores, restaurants, boat rides, and kids attractions., Taste of Chicago, and of course the
pizza here is GREAT. Hope this helps you.

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 11:25 AM
kam

Pretty sure Taste of Chicago is that weekend. And, you do have to go to the top of the world's tallest building, Sears Tower. There's also a lovely bar at the top of the Hancock Bldg which is the 5th tallest, I think. Two things you must try---Chicago hot dogs (see other posts about these) and deep dish Pizza at the original Uno's or Due's. Have fun, but know the weather could be almost anything! That's Chicago.

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 06:02 PM
Shawn

Yes, Taste of Chicago is going on that weekend but be prepared for LOTS of people. The 4th of July fireworks are Friday night and there are thousands of people jammed down by the lakefront. You can also watch the fireworks from Navy Pier. There is a free concert in Grant Park before the fireworks. All of these things are in the same area so no matter where you go there will be lots of people (mostly friendly). If the Taste isn't to your liking (I hate it and avoid it), the museums are great. The Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium and Field Museum are all right next to each other on Lake Shore Drive. My favorite is the Museum of
Science and Industry, also on Lake Shore but much further south. The Art Institute is on Michigan Ave. and worth a trip. If museums aren't your thing then you can shop on Michigan Ave as mentioned or take a walk on the lakefront. Don't miss Buckingham Fountain-it's beautiful day or night. By the way Wrigley Field (home of the Cubs) is not on Lake Shore, it's on Addison and Clark about a mile and a half from Lake Shore and north of downtown about 4 miles. You can take a cab or the el (red line). Right now the weather is very hot (90's) and humid, but that could change. I've never been cold in July though. You can contact me if you have other ?'s.

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 12:46 PM
Phil

I have lived in Chicago all my life and I agree with the response just before me. The taste of Chicago will have close to 3 million people attend before it is over. Sunday morning is the best time to visit at about 11am. There is a childrens Museum at Navy Pier that is great for children. Navy Pier is an outside adventure that is for all ages. It has the world's tallest Ferris Wheel and boat rides on the lake to view the sky line, shopping, dining. If you have not been up high in a tall building, Sears Tower has an observatory on the 110th floor and the John Hancock center has one on the 98th floor to view the city from. If it should rain and children are involved the Museum of Science and Industry on 57th street and the Chicago lakefront is a kids paradise. It is about 7 miles south of downtown. There is an ocenarium, planetarium, Field Museum of natural history, and the Art Instiutue all Downtown on the lake. Most of the Museums will take at least the better part of the day. The Field Museum and Museum of Science and Industry can't be done in a day. Buckingham fountain is a water show especially at night. From the elevated trains you can go to either ballpark Sox or Cubs. And downtown I recommend Uno's, Due's or Gino's east. Any more questions I would be happy to answer.