What to do in Boston?

Search

What to do in Boston?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Boston?

I'm going to Boston for an academic conference the last week of March, and I'm staying at the Sheraton in the Back Bay area. I will have at least one whole day and perhaps a few hours here and there on other days to sightsee. What is close enough to that area to see in a few hours, and what should I do with my whole free day? I'd like to see some historical sites, and perhaps find somewhere to shop for unique souviniers. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:55 PM

The destinations section of this website has sample itineraries that may be a good place to start.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 12:53 AM

If the weather is good (risky in March), the duck boat tours are a popular half day way to see the city.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:48 AM

You'll be located in the heart of the Back Bay and very close to T stops. Newbury Street is the shopping mecca in Boston, it's just 1 block away from your hotel.

As for historical sites, there are many. You could walk the Freedom Trail or just check out a few sites http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/index.html

If you're into souvenirs, there's lots of that stuff in Faneuil Hall, just hop on the T inbound (Copley Sq stop is closest) and get off at Government Center.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:55 AM

If you enjoy art museums the Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum are jsut a few T stops away. The Boston Public Library is worth taking a peek at - there are newly restored murals by John Singer Sargent there.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:45 AM

Take the Old town trolley.PAul
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:27 AM

Hi--if you walk the Freedom Trail, weather permitting, you will automatically see historic sites and pass many shops w/local--not sure what you mean by unique--souveirs. It begins at Boston Common, Park St. Station on the T, and in the course of walking it, you will pass thru Quincy Market, at Faneuil Hall, and will be around the Union Oyster House, oldest restaurant in Boston, where the chowder and cornbread make a great lunch. Or you could stop at a North End Italian spot en route to the Old North Church. Even tho we live here, we rarely do these things, but I did the route I am telling you, w/some out of town relatives and it was quite enjoyable!! It was also the last week in Maech when we did it, and had good weather, but needless to say, that is one aspect not to be counted on!!