Reload this Page >

What to do in Anchorage, AL in April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Rachel

My 15 year old niece (she's the one who dubbed my auntR) will be going to Anchorage the 1st week in April for a hockey tournament. Besides hockey, what should she & my brother (her father) not miss. What are good places to eat, see, etc. Actually, there will be about 30 people on the trip (players and parents). What kind of weather should they expect at that time. They're coming from buffalo, NY so they are used to snow and cold. Thanks for any info

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Rachel

Sorry, I mean Anchorage Alaska, not Alabama. I'm sure xxx will catch me on my slip

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:39 AM
John

They will probably feel right at home. Unfortunately, April is often the peak time for "breakup," a familiar condition for northerners. The snow melts, revealing the debris of winter, potholes the size of moon craters, mud, wet mud, mud spray, mud mist, chunky and slimy mud... Many Alaska residents blast off for Hawaii during breakup.

Which is not to say you can't have an enjoyable time. The energy level in Alaska in the spring is very high, people are upbeat as the days get longer and cabin fever (aka SAD) abates. Day trips to Portage Glacier or Girdwood are good, and for hockey fans Anchorage is always fun - it's as hockey-mad a town as they come.

The weather will be unpredictable. There can be sunny, balmy days, and also snowy ones. Rain, sleet, anything's possible. In early April it's more likely to be pretty chilly than not; watching baseball on TV while it's snowing outside is a time-honored Anchorage activity, ugh. But not unheard of in Buffalo either, I'll wager.

PS "AL" is the abbreviation for Alabama. "AK" is Alaska, not that anyone would miss seeing the difference in April.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Celeste

For an inexpensive, fun dinner, go to Moose's Tooth Pizza. They'll give you the directions when you call (or any taxi will know where it is), and I think hosting a pizza party for 30 people would be something they'd excel at! It doesn't look like much but the pizza and employees are a lot of fun!

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Rachel

Thanks for your responses. I'll pass them on to my brother. Any more restaurant suggestions? These girls seem to play hockey, eat & shop.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Rosemary

I'm sure they'd like the Glacier Brewhouse.