Reload this Page >

What to do in an afternoon in Asbury Park, including dinner

Notices

Old Aug 19th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for NJ today and will be going to see a show at Carousel on the Boardwalk tomorrow night, Saturday. We will be picking my son up who lives in Queens and will also be with my 83 year old very fit mother in law, as long as it isn't high humidity. We pretty much will have from noon on to figure out how to spend the day.

I read on Fodors a mention of Island Beach State Park about 30 minutes from Asbury Park. That sounds wonderful but if the weather is an issue that might not work out. Do you have any suggestions of what might be nice to see and do while we are there? If there isn't really anything but the beach and boardwalk and maybe some shopping then we could always spend most of the day in NYC instead and just go late in the afternoon for dinner and theatre. I would prefer to take in some of NJ; we will be seeing a matinee in the city on Sunday.

Also, I would love a dinner suggestion. My Mother In law doesn't like really spicy foods but besides that open to ideas. Should I plan to eat on the boardwalk? We also want to keep it around $20 per person.

What do you know about Siciliana's on the boardwalk? They have a discount with restaurant.com and it gets great reviews on Trip Advisor. By the pictures on their website it looks more like a pizza/sub shop but I know they have meals as well. We are actually staying overnight in Neptune. Thanks so much! I just want to plan a great time for my Mother in law. Who knows if she will ever get to do a trip like this again.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 09:29 AM

Island Beach State Park is a lot further than 30 minutes. If you want that kind of place you could go to Sandy Hook, but,on the weekend it will be packed.

Never heard of Sicilianas, try Taka for Japanese, Moonstruck on the lake, Longosta Lounge on the Boardwalk, Raffertys on Cookman Ave.....

There are swan boats on the lake now, so that might be fun.

You might enjoy seeing the next town south, Ocean Grove....it's a Methodist Camp Meeting Ground with Victorian Houses, a Great Auditorium and Seasonal Tents.

For shopping you could head to Monmouth Mall in Eastontown and Premium Outlets, in Neptune right at the Parkway exit.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 10:14 AM

The Boardwalk at Asbury isn't really a boardwalk in the sense of what you can find at Seaside or Point Pleasant.

As stated, Island Beach State Park is not 30-minutes away - especially on a Saturday.

Any interest in horse races? Monmouth Park isn't that far from Asbury and is a Jersey Shore institution.

For beach I might suggest the town of Ocean Grove, which has a unique history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Grove,_New_Jersey
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 02:44 PM

Asbury Park is still a bit rundown although many new condos are being built and new trendy shops on Cookman Avenue are trying to bring it back to its former glory as a beach resort.

I heartily agree that the town near it, Ocean Grove, is quainter, more fun and has a wonderful seaside feel to it. Ocean Grove was partially filmed in a Woody Allen movie "Stardust Memories."
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

SusieQQ and Ryan, what would you say is the reasonable amount of time to figure to get from Island Beach State Park tomorrow, being Saturday? Since we are leaving from Astoria and our destination for the evening is Asbury Park then maybe it is too much to cram in. Ocean Grove might be the best bet; it sounds like it will be unique and enjoyable. Thanks.

SusieQQ I have looked into some of the restaurants you suggest but I think they were more expensive than we were thinking about but I will recheck now.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 09:06 AM

Sorry Juldie, I was out of town and didn't see your last post.

Please give us a trip report when you return.