Milwaukee Swimming for Dogs

Old May 15th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milwaukee Swimming for Dogs

Our Bichon, Woody, who is a good boy, has expressed an interest in swimming in each of the Great Lakes. We will be in Milwaukee in June and he wants to swim in Lake Michigan. I have to be in the water with him so that he's not gobbled up by a huge fish. Fairly clean boat ramps work well. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:25 AM

There is actually a sandy beach at LakeFront Park.

You do know it will be cold, right?

(Maybe someone should suggest a different challenge: say climing all the hills in Kansas?)

;-)
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

beentheretwice, I just spoke with him. He said to thank you and suggested that we have a warm towel ready. He is persistent... and a good boy.
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:25 PM

There is park access and sandy beaches at:

In the South of the city
Grant park
Bay View Park
South Shore Park

Downtown
McKinley Park
Bradford Beach

To the north
Atwater park Beach
Klode Park Beach
Doctors Park Beach

have fun and stay warm
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

angethereader, Thanks for your help and for your other Milwaukee posts. This is a real post about a little dog's real quest. Are the beaches dog friendly?
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:26 AM

You'd need to look at park signs, but most are. It's been a while since I've been down to the lakefront.

I know Bay View park is dog friendly, and I believe the two east of downtown are also.
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, angethereader. I'll report on the lad's effort. Woody's Dad
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:44 PM
k

Good advice from previous posters. Our 2 bichons love to swim in Cgo's lake front beaches. Better get that blowdryer and brushes ready when he gets out, or does he get the Big 10 swimmers cut!!!
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:32 PM

I live in Milwaukee County and have a dog that I take swimming in Lake Michigan.

Dogs and swimming equals a problem. Especially when it comes to beaches. Even if allowed (not likely) the more people there are the more likely that someone will object. A better approach is to find a "beach" that people do not use. This can be a bit of a problem due to private property preventing access, or the large rocks that border official public areas.

I know of one that will not disappoint you. Bender Park. Walk the dog from the top of the hill parking lot near the Park entrance east through the woods or along the road to the top of the cliff/hill. Looking to the right or south you will see the boat ramps and official beach. To the left or north you will see the un-peopled beach to freely romp on. This park has a lot of terrain to run the dog. It is almost at the Milwaukee Racine county line. (S. Milw county) Your dog will love running here. You do not need to swim with the dog as we grow smarter fish. They know the diference between lunch and a pet.

For your info: http://www.onmilwaukee.com/sports/ar...rks.htmlpeople hang outs to prevent erosion.
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:42 AM

If you're in Milwaukee and don't want to drive that far, go to Bay View park. It's usually deserted.

Drive east on Oklahoma Avenue till it ends. Turn right and find somewhere to park across from what was once my high school. There will be parking in the east side of the street. It'll look like a big bluff, find the path and it'll lead you to the stairs. At the bottom of those stairs is a little used beach.

When my kids were small we were often the only ones on that beach.
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Sobolik, I can't believe we take our dogs to the SAME beach!! Small world.

Woody, Lake Michigan in June is usually VERY cold. The dogs don't seem to mind but you'll find it unbearable. Be mindful as well that our wonderful sewerage district continues to pour untreated waste into the lake especially after a good rain. The sad reality is that most of the beaches in and around Milwaukee are often unsafe to swim in because of high levels of bacteria. Beach closures during the summer are frequent and prolonged because of the water quality.
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. Woody first tackled/conquered Lake Superior. After his swim, we learned that the bay was contaminated by something related to taconite mining/processing. It came as quite a surprise as there were kids swimming a hundred yards away. I still think this will work. He originally wanted to learn to to do a flip off a diving board. What a good boy. Thanks again.
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Be sure to let us know how it goes.
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading this post, I still have one question for the original poster: Is Woody a good boy?

Please tell Woody that I admire his persistence and respect his quest. it can't be easy for a little dog in a big lake.
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Suki, Woody is a very good boy. Each member of our family maintains a ranking of the other members based on how much we like the others at any particular time. When we review the current lists, each report begins "Of course, Woody is #1." My will provides that I will be interred with Woody's cremains. It is understood that if I croak first, no one has to do in the Woodman.
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Oh my goodness your ranking and the fact that Woody is, of course, # 1 on everyone's list has given me the best laugh of the week. Truly, I am still chuckling.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:10 PM
P_M

If you chucked some wood into the lake, would woody go into the lake for the chucked wood? In other words, if woody could chuck wood, how much wood would he chuck? :-?
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM

P_M, I read this aloud to my daughter and you know it really should be read aloud for full effect. I was laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes. You're the best!
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Suki, thank you for directing the loungers to this thread. I am smiling from ear to ear to toe. I'd be wagging my tail if I had one.

w: you're a James Thurber reader, aren't you? If not, you oughta be: you have him in your heart. (That is a huge compliment. )
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Kealalani

I am sure I read an article in Coastal Living or somewhere in my senile mind - about wetsuits for your hound.

Don't know if anyone had mentioned but perhaps we could start a fundraiser
"Give Woody a Chance!"

Godspeed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -