What to do for 1 day in SF?

Jun 28th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

What to do for 1 day in SF?

I have a day to kill in San Francisco by myself. I've never been there before, so what are the must-see spots?
Jun 28th, 2005, 02:43 PM

i'm amused at your thread title and the statement, "I have a day to kill.." which to this observer read like, "is there enough to do in the city to fill a day?"

there is..... and without even asking, i'm sure you can think of ways to fill your time. start with a cable car ride.... keep your eyes open, and go from there.

Jun 28th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Was there for the first time a week and a half ago and similarly only had an afternoon-evening to kill, followed what info. I could find previously posted on Fodors, to which I extend my thanks:.

Rented car from Oakland, CA and drove in with decent map from Avis of SF-in detail.
Drove to Viewpoint overlooking Golden Gate Bridge and snapped some , bypassed signs for San Quentin Prison on the way. Crossed over Golden Gate and managed to turn (east?) on to California Street and headed towards downtown SF. Drove behind some cable and trolley cars on the way and also down some pretty amazingly steep hills. Managed to find Coit tower which had a great view overlooking SF and was able to make out the direction of Lombard Street "the twistiest road" and drove down it before heading over to Pier 39/Fisherman's wharf for dinner with the sea lion show. Got a window table bay view at Neptunes and watched the sea lions below while the behind Golden Gate Bridge and enjoyed some fine Napa Valley and the bread crusted salmon, mashed potatos and New England Clam Chowder. Picked up souvenirs at many vendors near the Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf area.
Drove back via Bay Bridge.

Hope this helps!
Jun 28th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

hehe, I certainly didn't mean it like that. More like, I want to see the coolest things during that one day and not waste my time on tourist-trap type stuff. So what are the randomly awesome things to do in the city that an outsider might not know about?
Jun 28th, 2005, 02:53 PM

ditto above... i'd first catch a street car from Market Street heading toward Fisherman's wharf, thru Chinatown. Have some lunch on the wharf and then buy chocolate at Giradelli Square. Back to Union Square for some shopping and wine in the afternoon. Stroll the edges of the Tenderloin and theatre district. Find somewhere nice for dinner in that fancy funky alleyway full of restaurants in the financial district.

Since you don't give us ANY idea what your interests are, I've posted my own favorite typical tourist day.
Jun 28th, 2005, 02:59 PM

since you've never visited the city before, while you might consider it "tourist trap type stuff" riding the streetcars on the intensely steep hills really is a unique San Francisco experience.
Jun 28th, 2005, 03:00 PM

SF has a fairly new and very impressive contemporary arts museum--I like to take a ferry to sausalito and back--cable car rides are special--golden gate park is beautiful--with a unique japanese garden--

Search this Thread