Reload this Page >

What to do enroute btwn RMNP & Jackson?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 01:24 PM
Syv

1. Looks like this is a long one-day drive between Rocky Mtn NP & Jackson?

2. Any interesting stops enroute?
Can wild horses really be seen easily near Rock Springs? Any particular road?
Is the mining town re-creation in Encampment worth stoping at?

3. Other than whitewater rafting in Jackson, what else is of interest in the town?
Someone in a previous post mentioned a cookout? What's that about & who with? Is it similar to the Roosevelt Lodge Yellowstone idea of a stagecoach ride/cookout?

Two females travelling by car. Any ideas welcome on the lower end of the budget. Not into fine dining or exclusive shopping.

Thanks,

Sylvia

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 01:56 PM
ALF

There are TONS of things to do in and around Jackson. Take the tram up to the top of Jackson Hole, then stroll around for the rest of the day. In Teton Natnl Park, take the boat across Jenny Lake, then start hiking up toward Lake Solitude. Even if you only go a couple of miles, you will be rewarded with great views. It is true that there are fun whitewater rafting trips on the Snake, but you can also take early morning wildlife raft trips on the upper Snake that should let you see moose, bear, etc. grazing along the river banks. If you want a cookout, check out the Chuck Wagon, north of Jackson.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 03:59 PM
steve

Not on the quickest route between the two, but swing through Yellowstone and visit Cody, Wyoming, great museum about the west and Buffalo Bill. Stayed at a Quality Inn in Cody that was reasonable a couple of years ago. If you go by way of Laramie, take the back way through the Snowy Mountains on Route 130 to Saratoga.
Granby, Col. and Hot Sulpher Springs are also interesting...Your hard task is to decide on which way to go...have fun!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 05:12 AM
Syv

Thanks for the replies. Yes - I'll be going all through Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone, Beatooth hwy, Cody, Buffalo Bill museum, etc. then heading to Devils Tower and South Dakota.

Just wondered about the long drive between Colorado RMNP and Jackson if there are any interesting stops.

Our timing arriving in Jackson will be a little "off" for what we wanted (arriving on a Monday and the Grand Teton Music Festival concerts are not held on Mondays - so we will have to "come back" to it on Tuesday night)

Therefore, we will have some time to kill before going on as far as Yellowstone. That's why I wondered about the Jackson area itself things to do or enroute to Jackson from Colorado.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:54 AM
Kathy

We drove from Denver to Jackson 2 summers ago and found that there was NOTHING in between the two. My kids were amazed at the long stretches of highway with nothing but beautiful scenery beside it with a few houses interspersed in clusters of 3-4 houses every 20 or so miles. I would make the drive to Jackson in one day and then spend your time in that area as there is much to do.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 01:09 PM
travellyn

On the advice of a forest ranger, we stopped and camped in the Snowy Mountains near Laramie on a driving trip from Denver to Yellowstone. It was lovely for hiking, and barely visited. There was a free hot spring called the Hobo Pool nearby, in Centennial, I think. We liked this area so much that we left Yellowstone a little early to go back and spend another night in the same place before heading home.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 01:38 PM
Syv

Thanks. will look into all advice given.

Sylvia

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 01:44 PM
J Correa

Another vote for the Snowy Mountains.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 04:17 PM
June

Will you be driving up Hwy 191 north from I-80? In the little town of Farson, there is a place to see the ruts from the Oregon Trail. Here is a little info:

http://www.vacationinwyoming.com/mainfarson.htm

http://www.laramie-tourism.org/itiner.southernwyoloop.htm

Just south of Rock Springs is the Flaming Gorge, but I've never stopped.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Syv

Will look into that as well & check my map for my route. Thx.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Brad in Wyo.

Yes you can see wild horses, but not from the interstste. If you head north of Rawlins Or Rock Springs they can be found all over. Jackson caters to tourists and there plenty of activities. If you are going soon the elk will still be on the refuge. Be advised that just because the map shows a town, doesn't mean there is anything there! Have Fun, Brad

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 04:55 PM
gb

There is a free Hot Springs in Thermopolis(not exactly on the way). There is nothing but open land, some rocks, and a lot of tractor trailers on the highway. Get a book on tape and get to Jackson. If you are going through in the summer, you might hit the Cheyenne Days Rodeo. Also, to the east (not on the way) there is a living history museum at a Fort (Fort Laramie, I think). Another alternative route, but slower and more scenic is to take the route from Fort Collins, through the Poudre Valley, head towards Steamboat, then, north to I 80.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Connie

if you care anything at all about Oregon Trail history, east of Farson you can see the trail for a long way. I thought it was pretty cool seeing it and thinking about what these people went through. It was also a nice chance to stop and take a break.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Syv

Thanks - someone else mentioned the Oregon Trail near Farson. Also to get off the main highways around Rock Springs / Baggs to see wild horses.

I'll post my trip plans/route separately & get comments/suggestions.

thanks again,
Sylvia