What to do after getting married in NYC?

Nov 30th, 2018, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

What to do after getting married in NYC?

Hi there,
My friend is getting married by a JP in NYC in January. We are the witnesses. What would be fun for five of us to do after the papers are signed? Something fun and memorable, but preferably not outdoors in the cold... Any thoughts???
Thanks so much in advance.
Nov 30th, 2018, 08:13 AM

My first thought (not very original) would be a nice lunch or dinner at one of our better restaurants.
Nov 30th, 2018, 09:32 AM

Are you asking about sightseeing activities, dinner, theater, shopping, etc.???? There are all kinds of things to see and do in New York. But what appeals to you?
Nov 30th, 2018, 09:39 AM

I would think the obvious celebratory event would be what FraDiavolo said. What else, I can't imagine a wedding party going to the top of the Empire state bldg or anything like that. Nor a boat, given it's January.
Nov 30th, 2018, 09:46 AM

Not sure where the wedding will take place, but a meal at a restaurant with an Iconic NYC view might be nice--whether it's someplace like Robert or the Time Warner Center for a view over Central Park, or The Sea Grill at Rockefeller Center with a view of the skating rink.
Dec 2nd, 2018, 10:37 AM

I agree with a really nice restaurant suggestion and yes something iconic NYC if possible to make it memorable.

But maybe they do want to go up the Empire State building, or take a harbor cruise, or go shopping... we really don't have clear parameters here -lol!
Dec 2nd, 2018, 10:49 AM

>>I can't imagine a wedding party going to the top of the Empire state bldg or anything like that. << The wedding party is five people so not a huge logistical problem . . . and why not go up the ESB (though I'd probably pick Top of the Rock instead) or anything else fun. iconically Manhattan?
Dec 2nd, 2018, 02:14 PM

Probably not what youíre looking for, but perhaps aire ancient baths?

https://beaire.com/

of course, it could just be that Iím freezing and achy and a long soak, followed by a massage, sounds good🤣

I agree, though, we donít have much to go on. Most of the stuff I love about NYC doesnít strike me as post wedding party celebration.
Dec 2nd, 2018, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone. Yes, the bride and groom are definitely planning a nice luncheon, but I was looking to add something instead of a reception/party. The Harbor Cruise or walk on the High Line would have been perfect in a different season. I don't think there is anything to do once at the top of the Empire State Building, unless maybe photographs. Maybe we'll take a bus tour or go to a museum or just take in the view at the Marriott rotating bar... Thanks for your help!
Dec 2nd, 2018, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Suze. Thank you.
Dec 2nd, 2018, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Great idea, Janis J.
Dec 3rd, 2018, 01:20 PM

I don't think there is anything to do once at the top of the Empire State Building

No, there's not -lol The activity is in the going UP there and the views. Sure a museum visit or bus tour would work if that's the groups' interest.
Dec 4th, 2018, 07:10 AM

The Circle Line leaves Pier 83 if you want a boat ride out to see the Statue of Liberty. In January there is only one trip per day at 10AM. (No trips on January 1).
Dec 5th, 2018, 04:24 PM

I think with such a small party it would be fun to go to a museum. Either one with tours like the Tenement Museum, that you go on the same tour together--then it's kind of an experience. Or an art museum where you take photos (no flash!) of the wedding couple by the artwork. So many to choose from... it's New York. I guess I'd be tempted to go one extreme or the other-- a really modern museum or a really unusual one like the medieval Cloisters.
Dec 6th, 2018, 12:26 AM

The circle line is a snooze. Go the Brooklyn Heights Promenade for the view that has been shot millions of times for movies and TV.

Afterward there are scores of alternatives including in one direction Middle Eastern restaurants and in the other hipperplaces in DUMBO
Dec 6th, 2018, 12:02 PM

I would not spend any time at the Marriott rotating bar, it used to be a nice place to go but last time I went, it was not a great experience, there's no glamour at all, unless that's changed recently. If you want views, I would suggest the Press Lounge
https://www.thepresslounge.com/photos/

Maybe the McKittrick Hotel might appeal, it is not a hotel anymore, it's an events place, with things like Sleep No More, Gallows Green bar which is turned into a ski lodge in winter where you can have drinks outside with fire pits
https://mckittrickhotel.com/
Dec 7th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Such great ideas, everyone! We would've like the Circle LIne in a different season, but the times and temperature don't work well for winter! The Cloisters is a lovely idea. The McKittrick hotel may be just what we're looking for! I have to investigate that further. Thanks, IMDonehere!
Dec 7th, 2018, 06:08 PM

Sail-nyc.com does small cruises in yachts with heated cabins. In Jan. they,re only on Fridays and Saturdays. You don't mention a day or week or time of day this is happening.
Dec 8th, 2018, 03:24 PM

It's not me, but I would look for an exhibit or performance that would have meaning or special interest to the bridal couple or your group. You would probably have no trouble finding something that fit your needs, IMO.

We were married in Central Park, had a very nice lunch with our witnesses and headed to a performance by a favorite group. It's NYC and there is always something on.
Dec 8th, 2018, 05:53 PM

Iíd head to the Cloisters, a very romantic and beautiful place.

Search this Thread