Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What time of year to visit Williamsburg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decided where to trade our timeshare to and thought Williamsburg would be interesting. Our time is flexible and would probably do it in the fall. Which month (Sept or Oct, maybe Nov) do you think would be best?
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:07 AM

As close to Christmas as you can manage. There's somthing wonderful about Williamsburg in the cold.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:11 AM

October is wonderful - the air is crisp, and the crowds are down. We go for the Ghost Tour package every year
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm assuming you're asking the best time to visit with regard to the weather so I'd suggest October or November. The first half of September can still be quite hot and humid. Things are starting to cool down towards the end of the month.

If you pick October, keep in mind that Wm & Mary's homecoming is scheduled for the end of the month. The town is packed and probably not much fun if you're not a grad.

If you're an amusement park fan, Busch Gardens is open weekends through the end of October.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM

October brings pleasant days i.e. lower humidity, and coolish evenings. Great walking weather!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions. And yes, weather really is the factor. We just got back from a week at Disney World in 95 degrees and it was really too much. Busch Gardens on a weekend would be fine for something to do. I'd really like to go for the history and the ghost tours sound very interesting. Thanks for the tip about WM & Mary homecoming. I certainly don't want to get in the middle of it.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 11:30 AM

I like the first weekend in October. That Sunday is when they hold "An Occasion for the Arts", when they have art & craft vendors all along DOG (Duke of Gloucester Street) in Merchants' Sq and part of Boundery St, streets blocked off .. and several venues of various types of music, all free.

But all of October and early November is still nice enough for t-shirt & shorts in the day and light jacket/sweater at night. Even without ghost tours it seems a bit mysterious and/or magical walking in the historical area at night and hearing the fallen leaves rustling as you walk thru them.