Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What time is the "BEST TIME" to visit Southern California?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 11:05 PM
Kirstin

Hi!

I'm planning a trip to California. I'm trying to avoid Vacationers/Crowds...yet be able to enjoy comfortable weather. Any suggestions?
Thank You!

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 08:16 AM
Paul Rabe

I recommend September, October, or EARLY May. In each case you will avoid the rainy season AND the summer crowds. If you're willing to risk rain, December is a month with a surprisingly LOW number of tourists.

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 08:41 AM
Emily

Avoid June -- you'll get the double whammy of the "June Gloom" weather and the summer tourists who haven't heard about it.

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 12:03 PM
marcos

April and May are really spectacular. the hills and mountains are green and the tourists are few. It is worth mentioning the June Gloom if you haven't heard of it. From early June through early July fog comes in morning and evening with little sun peeking through for most of the day. Temperatures are pleasant though

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 12:20 AM
Cal

I am a native of Southern California. October is the best month of the year weatherwise. Clear and warm. Not too many crowds. April May is generally pretty good but a little more iffy than October.

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 12:46 PM
michele

I agree with the previous posting, October or early November are lovely.
I happen to like June gloom ( sun comes out around 3 in the afternoon) , but few tourists do. As for September, it is the ONLY time of year I wish I were back in NYC....very HOT! ( at least in LA). By the way, April and May are great also.

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 12:32 PM
Kent S. Rose

This area really has a long "BEST TIME" season. The wrong time is summer, because of the heat & smog. The exception to that is the beaches. In the summer they are fine, since temperatures there rarely rise above 80, and sea breezes keep away the smog.

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Susan

Where do you recommend I visit? I mean what city in California?

We would like to do some swimming, will it be too cold in early October

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:01 AM
x

around 3:21 am. very little crowds or traffic.

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:04 AM
xxx

Other than the Palm Springs area, October would be a little late for swimming. But if you come in April, it will be too cold then as well. But the summer months are hot and crowded.

Personally I kind of enjoy the june gloom as well. Since we get so much sunshine year round, it's nice to have a month to look forward to some cloud cover (and see what the rest of you complain about).

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:41 AM
kate

This posting was from 1999, but I suppose this information is not date constricted.

I'd have to agree with all of the october votes. But to be honest, this past January was delightful, so don't rule out all of the winter months. They're just more risky.