Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What the heck is my 72 yr old uncle going to do in Utah while I'm skiing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 72-yr-old uncle is tagging along on our annual ski trip. This year, we're going to Park City. My uncle doesn't ski and I'd like to assist him in finding some things to do for 4 days. He'd strongly prefer to ride a bus or a train to any destinations outside Park City. Got any sightseeing suggestions or entertainment suggestions? Is there bus service from Salt Lake to Bryce Canyon? More important, is there any reason to avoid Bryce Canyon during the Winter?
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 06:46 AM

You don't say how physically fit he is, but how about letting him make some snowshoe tracks? That will give him some exercise in the great outdoors.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, my uncle isn't physically fit and cannot handle any strenuous activity. I plan to arrange a Gray Line tour in Salt Lake City. Otherwise, I don't have any suggestions for him. Please help.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 07:13 AM

Maybe he doesn't need a lot of plans. Hopefully you are renting a condo and he can settle in with a good book and some hot cocoa in front of the fire and an occasional stroll through the woods. Maybe he's just looking for some change of scenery, and I can't think of a much nicer one!
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 08:16 AM

Last year my family and I went on a ski trip to Sundance. Due to a recent leg injury, I wasn't able to ski and my family was going to cancel because of me. I told them to go ahead and I would be fine. It was wonderful!
I did almost exactly what the above post said. There were wonderful places and tables that were outdoor and overlooked the skiiers. The setting was georgous. I read a book, struck up conversations with others who were doing the same thing, and then the family came and had lunch with me.
Although I love to ski, this was so incredibly relaxing and nice, I would do it again!
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:25 AM

How about sitting in the ski lodge by the fireplace, feet propped up, and drinking a cognac (or a nice hot Gluhwein). Now, that's my idea of skiing.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Bryce Canyon National Park is a good 5 hours from Park City so that would mean at least one night out. Bryce gets snow and might not be the best place in the winter for a man in his 70's on his own.

I don't know at what elevation you live at and I'm not sure what elevation Park City is at, but high elevations can be hard on older people especially if they aren't fit to begin with. You might want to clear this with his doctor first!

Utahtea
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Heavens! I know what my 72-year old uncle would be doing! He's be ogling all the girls, joking around with a number of them, and just choosing the best seat in the house for "viewing". All in innocent fun, nothing bad. Let him ENJOY himself! LOL!
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 04:14 PM

The obvious question is - "What does he want to do?" Since that could answer itself, I suspect there are other issues here. Does he expect you to entertain him? Does he have unrealistic expectations of what there will be for him to do or the accessibility of things a bus ride away?
What does "tagging along" mean? Do you really want him along? Will everyone have enough privacy so that everyone arrives home alive?

Having traveled several times with relatives, it can either be a horror show or a wonderful experience and a chance to spend some valuable time together. The difference between the 2 was in the expectations of both parties.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Well - I don't know what the gray line tour does in SLC. Probably go to the Temple area? If not, there are plenty of buses carting skiers back and forth between Salt Lake City (many to the airport)and Park City. He could ride a bus to SLC and visit the Temple
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Oops - posted that before I was done. Anyway, he may or may not be interested in the Mormon culture which is the bulk of the sightseeing in SLC although there are some other downtown sights/museums/malls. Also, there are actually some museums in park city since it used to be a mining town. Go to the Park City info website for a lists of museums and you might find something fun. Plus, Park city has some nice little stores/shopping. Finally, he could ride the gondola's just for views at some of the resorts (the gondola ride at the Canyon's is really scenic I think)...
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 06:13 PM

I am 72. Can I tag along and look for snow bunnies? I understand they are plentiful out there this time of year.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 06:27 AM

Does he have any interest in his family's history? He might enjoy going to the Family History Library run by the Mormons in downtown Salt Lake City. They have lots of volunteers who could help him find information.