Reload this Page >

What not to miss on Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 1998, 05:26 PM
larry T.

I want to travel there in May 1999. Is that a good time of year as far as weather? Want to get in the water to snorkle.. What hotels are great -what restaurants

Old Dec 4th, 1998, 03:38 AM
Bart

Anytime is a good time to visit Maui. In 7 trips, it's always been paradise. Good snorkeling is available at Black Rock @ The Sheraton and a cove north of Kapalua(can't remember name of bay).
Restaurants- Roy's in Kahana, Hailemaile General Store, Mama's Fish House, Cheesburger in Paradise in Lahaina and The Pacific Cafe. The hotels are nice in Waimea, kaanapali and Kapalua. We prefer Kaanapali for weather and proximaty to Lahaina. Many will comment that the others are nicer. We've tried Kapalua and Kaanapali and prefer the later. Waimea is too remote for us.
There are snorkeling trips to Molokini that are pretty good but I haven't done them. I got certified in scuba 2 years ago and will be doing some diving in February. I'll give you my comments then if you email me around 3/1
Aloha
Bart

Old Jan 5th, 1999, 06:06 PM
Scott

MY Maui "Not to Miss List"

1. Trip to the Haleakala
-Skip the boring bike down thing

2. Lahaina
Restaurants:
Cheeseburger in Paradise
Longhi's

3. SNorkel Trip with Maui Dive SHop
-Smaller boats, great crew

4. Road to Hana
(if you haven't done it) otherwise it;s
lame twice

5. Kaanapali Beach
SNorkel at Black Rock

6. ANy Odysee excursion

7. Beach & Golf at Kapalua

Suggested SKips

> Lanai is boring, but the golf is good
> Mama's Fish House
-Poor Service and Value
> Don't get ripped off by overpriced
restaurants (near Kaanapali)

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 05:00 AM
David

Forget-

The seven sacred pools
Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tour
Snorkeling at Molokini

Must do-

Beach in Makena
Carrelli's on the Beach restaurant between Keihei and Wailea (most romantic restaurant, reserve a ocean side table)
Navatek II dinner cruise.
Buzz's Wharf Restaurant

Best Hotel/ Resort Hands down-

Grand Wailea Resort in Wailea, check it out at www.grandwailea.com

If you like people and shopping, stay in Kanapali, If you like romantic spots stay in Wailea.

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 04:13 PM
Tim

Pretty much agree with the other posts on things to do/skip. Except I WOULD bike down from Haleakale, but only with a company that lets you bike down on your own pace. We just biked around the upcountry all day and was a lot cheaper than the single file, helmet-clad tour group variety.

I would also recommend some hiking in the West Maui Mnts as well with a local guide - highlight of our trip.

Agree that the Grand Wailea is great, but the Ritz in Kapalua is probably one of the more underrated hotels mentioned on the Fodor posts. I would put it #2 behind GW - #1 if you are looking for a much cheaper alternative in a more secluded setting.

Don't miss Avalon restaurant at around 5-6pm (half-off entrees)

Snorkeling at Molokini sucks - much better (and free) just sticking aroung the beach (i.e. black rock, kapalua bay, etc.)

Road to Hana is good only once

A Luau is good only once

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 04:30 PM
Annemarie

Check out the Four Seasons Wailea for optimal service and comfort. Beside the Grand Wailea. More personal and much is included in the price. We stayed at the Ritz too, and it is gorgeous, but extremely windy and often cooler than the rest of the island. Agree with much of recommended thing s to do. Annemarie

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 04:39 PM
Jon

Stuff not to miss:
Fabulous food at Nicolina, Pacific O, Plantation Clubhouse, Avalon, Hailiimaile General Store.
Walk through the lobbies and grounds of all the big resort hotels on Kaanapali Beach and in Wailea.
Stay at a hotel on Kaanapali Beac where all the action is: Hyatt or Sheraton are best.
Walk around Lahiana all day.
Gardens in Upcountry.

LOTS more info about Maui sights, hotels, activities, restaurants, etc, in the 30-page paper you can read or print from the link at this web site:
http://members.aol.com/Derm1/index.html

Jon

Old Jan 19th, 1999, 01:37 PM
Dick

I agree that Makena Beach is terific and the Grand Wailea Resort is a great place to visit. Their spa is decadent...and is open to non hotel guests.

Teh bike ride down Haleakal is absolutely wonderful. However, I don't think any company will allow you to go down at your own pace. You must stay with the group..and going down alone is foolish.

Those "single file, helmet-clad tour group variety" provide some level of safety. There is a guide at the front and a chase vehicle in the back( the same vehicle that took you up to the mountain at sunrise. Teh chase vehicle holds first aid supplies and the raingear which may be needed. When a bus wants to get by, the driver of the chase vehicle will radio the guide and everyone in the group is moved to the far right...or even off the road...to allow the bus to pass. The road down is narrow, with extremely sharp hair pin turns and their are no guide rails.
The scenery is incredible and its really only a bike coast..almost no pedalling.
But...there definitely is some element of risk element. Biking upcountry on local roads is no problem....but DO NOT ride the 38 miles down Haleakala wihtout the safety of a group.

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 12:50 PM
karen

I mostly agree with the posts, but a restaurant NOT to miss is the Plantation House at sunset. It overlooks a beautiful golf course and you can see surrounding mountains. The food is out of this world! Make sure you call days in advance to get a window table-they go fast. It is a more secluded place, 20 minutes from Kaanapali, but worth it. If you've never done a luau, go for the one in Old Lanai-not as commercialized as the hotel one's, although they aren't bad. We stayed in the Hyatt and loved it! It has a great, open-air lobby with penguins, birds and other cool stuff. The pool is great, with waterfalls, a small waterslide and swim up bar. It is right on the beach, although the surf was a little scary, so we stuck with the pools. I would go back in a heartbeat!