Reload this Page >

What not to miss in Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:11 PM
lynette

I'll be in Chicago for a seminar February 7-15. I'll have the weekend to see a museum or two and then just evenings to sightsee during the week. So, what's "NOT to Miss" in Chicago? (So far, my heart is set on seeing the Art Institute and the Museum of Science and Industry.)I'm staying downtown and will have a rental car. Thanks.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Mike

If you don't mind tours take the Architectural Society boat tour. Boats leave from Michigan and Wacker Dr. Worth the money.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:25 PM
lynette

Thanks, I've heard about the boat tours but not that specific one. Do any by chance run at night?

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Kristin

Museum of Science and Industry definitely. The Aquarium is neat too with the lake just behind it. The Lincoln Park Zoo is nice (and free!). Even though it's February, I'd recommend a run on Lake Michigan on the "bike path."

Don't miss the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Ave) and Garretts Popcorn Shop -- delicious, hot caramel, cheese, and regular popcorn.

Have fun!!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Darcey

You'll be missing out if you don't hit the best three IMHO - Museum of Science and Industry, Natural History Museum, and the Shedd Aquarium, the art museum on Michigan Ave. ranks up there as well. Be prepared to freeze your buns off! I've never been colder, but it's a great city, I lived one block from the Museum of Science and Industry for three years, in Hyde Park. As long as you're in Hyde Park it's worth driving aroung the University of Chicago campus. The gothic architecture on some of the buildings is great. And if you're into Frank Lloyd Wright there's a home or two to see. Enjoy.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Kris

The Architecture river cruises don't run during February, only May-early November. I believe the Lake Michigan boats run throughout the year, most leaving from Navy Pier.

You might look into the Chicago Greeter program at www.chicagogreeter.com if there's a particular interest you have in a neighborhood or architecture. Hyde Park, where the Museum of Science and Industry is, has a lot of interesting architecture. You could combine that with a visit to the museum.

Tuesdays are free at the Art Institute and they are also open late until 8:00 pm. There doesn't appear to be any special exhibits going at that time that would require an extra ticket/fee (Medici collection is leaving Feb 2).

There's a special museum promotion going on Feb 6-9, some museums have 2 for 1 admission. Here's a link
http://www.877chicago.com/wintertreasures.html

If you do go to the Lincoln Park Zoo, you might pop into the Peggy Notebeart Nature Museum to see the Butterfly garden.

Stop by the hottix booth and grab 1/2 price tickets for a show (one up near Michigan Avenue, one near State Street shopping on Randolph). The Tribune and SunTimes have current reviews in the Friday paper for shows or you can look out at Metromix.com. Or get tickets in advance for Blue Man Group or Second City. You'll occasionally find them at Hottix but usually not for Sat night.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 08:57 AM
traveler

The Chicago Art Institute is my favorite!! Navy Pier is also fun and The Museum Of Science and Industry is great.... I won't miss those. Have fun!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 12:00 PM
chicago native

I would recommend having lunch or dinner at the Berghoff on Adams street and afterwards, walking north up State Street, cutting over to Michigan avenue at the Chicago River and continuing walking north until coming to the Water Tower. Be sure to dress warm with hat and gloves!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 12:22 PM
SEH

The Art Institute is not to be missed - it's fabulous! Also, check out the Terra Museum on Michigan Ave - nice smaller collection of American Impressionist (and admission is free until end of July)

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 08:36 PM
lynette

Thank you all so much... I'm excited about this trip, I've always wanted to see Chicago and I know this will just get me more dermined to make another trip to see what I missed the first time!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:25 AM
il

I think the best museum in town is the Art Institute...but don't go to the Science or Shedd much. The Museum of Science is a little out of the way and somewhat cheesy...and unless you have a thing for fish...I would skip the Shedd.

Blue Man Group is always fun.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:23 AM
Ashley

You have lots of great advice here already but I'll add one more vote for the Museum of Science and Industry. I saw two special exhibits while there last summer, so you might want to check out their website and see what's showing there now. The ones I saw were worth the extra time it took to get there.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:59 AM
Howard

The Art Institute is one of our country's best.
And, as long as you have a car, drive out to Oak Park to visit the Frank Lloyd Wright facility and view some of the buildings he designed.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 04:02 AM
a

Lynette

If you need a car, or if you are driving to Chicago that is one thing. If you are flying and don't otherwise need a car to leave the city then I'd just cab it - IMHO.