Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Indian Wells, Rancho Mirage Resorts. Which Five Star do I pick???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between the Rancho Las Palmas, Miramonte, Hyatt and Esmeralda, I cannot decide. Reviews seem similar, all have complaints. I'm drawn to the Hyatt as the pools look lovely and the pools look nice at the Rancho Las Palmas but I read it's looking worn and mismanaged. Miramonte and Esmeralda are close seconds. I have an 8, 10 year old who want to swim but a fantasy water park isn't necessary. I want to relax, have a glass of Champagne and enjoy a sprawling, nice resort. Food isn't an issue, I'm not snobby about food but I'm a stickler for fresh and clean rooms. Can anyone suggest one over another? Or points to consider that I'm over looking? Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 10:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Define "mismanaged"
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 06:16 AM

Have you looked at the Marriott/Desert Springs resort? Kids like the boat ride, etc.

And I believe the term "mismanaged" came from a review had written?
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

I'll look into the Marriott, thank you!
Yes, "mismanaged" was in a review referring to problems people had with rooms and getting little response or assistance from management leaving them outraged. One such comment involved a feeling of "bait and switch" where they booked their vacations on the hotel site during the time the Splashtopia and other pools were being repaired and weren't available during their stay. One would think this would be stated on their site as that is the reason someone chose their resort. They refused to refund their money. Not cool in my view and a warning to me to avoid it. Management is important so I take that review seriously.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 12:14 PM

We've stayed at the Renaissance Esmeralda twice, with kids (5 & 13), and it's been great. Nice big pool, several hot tubs, kids' activities, etc. Good service. Rooms are nice and clean, about standard for that class of hotel. (I find that cleanliness is usually not a problem in Marriotts) The is good, with a nice big shallow area and a sand beach on part of it, but it's not fabulous (no water slide ). In two trips however, I think we've only eaten breakfast there; we typically go out as there's pretty good food in the area. Good smoothies and drinks from the pool bar, but be prepared to cough up $ for that convenience.

We thought about the JW Desert Springs for one of the trips, and it looks very nice, but this was over Easter, and it has a reputation of being a big 20-something singles party destination on holiday weekends, and we thought that might not be so great with the kids.

Haven't been the Hyatt. I'm guessing it was a lot more $$ than the Renaissance, and so we didn't even look at it. (My DW gets a government rate, and sometimes the Marriott govt rates are really, really low, so that tends to drive decisions!)
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 12:15 PM

Should be: "The pool is good, with a nice big shallow area"...
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 03:11 PM
lvk

kbob88 is right about the Desert Springs Marriott pool parties, and it's not just on holiday weekends. I have been there on other weekends, and it is has been loud, boozy and crowded. Not very family friendly.

Another option is the Shadow Ridge Marriott. It is a timeshare/condo complex, but has several nice pool areas and kids activities, poolside cafes and cocktails as well. (We took our kids there for spring break and they loved it.) I always like a condo when traveling with kids, as there is more room to spread out and a kitchen for preparing small meals & snacks. The downside is that they don't have room service.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 01:48 AM

I have a feeling you are not going to be happy no matter which resort you chose. They are resorts and charge high prices in season, raising expectations. However none are new, and they just can't keep up with demands in high season. There is a lot of lipstick on some of these pigs, especially the Miramonte which is a glorified motel.

Of all of them the Hyatt has the best service but you are going to think it's dated.

I prefer to stay at the Marriott Shadow Ridge but they are not going to have the same level of poolside amenities.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Okay, well, I'll look into the Marriott options. The loud pool parties won't bother us, my kids sleep through everything and we aren't going till the blistering heat of July.

I appreciate the feedback!