Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What kind of weather can I expect in early January in Southern California or Phoenix, Arizona?

Search

What kind of weather can I expect in early January in Southern California or Phoenix, Arizona?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're thinking of taking our two young kids (6 and 5) for a week away prior to, God willing, the March arrival of their baby brother or sister.

My wife at that point should be about 7 months along so we're looking for weather that is warm enough for a full day at the pool. While it's nice to think we'll do more than that, I think sightseeing will be a low priority. I know the weather will be spectacular, but how's the tempature?

Certainly the weather in the Caribbean will be warm but we'd rather stay stateside in order to be near first class hospitals if an emergency occurs.

We've done Florida with the kids numerous times and that's always an option. But, we thought we'd try something a bit different on this last trip as a foursome.

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Phoenix in January would not be warm enough for me to spend a day at the pool--it might be around 65 or 70 F. Can't comment on SoCal. Good luck!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Phoenix can get rain in early Jan as can So Cal. So check the averages on weather.com and your chances.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:11 PM

I live in SoCal, southeast of LA. January on average tends to be a rainy month. Temps probably on the cool side (maybe 60s, down to 40s at night) but not truly wintery cold. I do not think of SoCal as having decent pool/beach weather in January. You probably really need some place like Hawaii
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Is it too early to offer congratulations?

Lee Ann
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:28 PM

My favorite months in San Diego are Jan-March. It can be rainy, but more often the weather is beautiful, sunny and mild. The sky is usually bright, sunny, clear. Like I said, I think it is the best time to come to San Diego. Not to hot, not too cold.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The weather can be lovely in both places. Great for sightseeing, walking, golf, whatever. But definitely not swimming/lounging by the pool weather.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:18 PM

It can rain but we don't often have days upon days of hard rain all in a row. You may have a day when you can hang out at a pool Maybe 2 or 3 if your from some place like Minnesota. It’s a desert so it gets cold at night, last year it froze in San Diego and I live fairly close to the ocean.

Like others have said you wouldn't want to play in the water at the beach, unless surf. If the weather is nice, the beach can be more interesting in the winter The animals at the zoo are much more active in the colder months.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 07:32 AM
GoTravel

Congrats Ryan!

As others have stated neither will be warm enough for pool weather. South Florida can also be iffy at that time.

If you want to stay in the US only Hawaii can guarantee you pool weather at that time.

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 07:54 AM
TahitiTams

Like others have stated, Hawaii is really the only place for guaranteed pool weather.