Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What items do you bring with you or buy in Hawaii that you find especially helpful to have while there???

Search

What items do you bring with you or buy in Hawaii that you find especially helpful to have while there???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like that are a variety of items that you savvy travelers either bring with you or buy shortly after arriving in Hawaii that are especially helpful to have (such as aqua socks, etc for beach/snorkeling, a small cooler for the beach).

I'm assembling such a list and would love input. What should I be sure to pack with me and what should we plan to buy as soon as we arrive that will make our trip more enjoyable/affordable? Would also love tips on WHERE to go to get these things once we're there (Kona and Maui)...

THANKS!!!!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 07:23 AM

Take good sun tan lotion. You will burn quickly. Buy beach mats there; they are super cheap.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:10 AM

We actually brought our own ice chest. We filled it with our snorkel gear and giant towels. We brought duct tape and after it was approved at the ticket counter we taped it up and checked it through. It was great tot have a sturdy ice chest whcih we filled with lunch stuff and beer and soda for our beach and sightseeing trips. This was when we left the kids at home. With kids we had enough stuff to manage so we didn't take it that time.

Great and cheap purchase was at the ABC stores was pareos. Large and nice selection.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Sealable plastic bags. Great for messy suntan lotion bottles and good for snack food or leftovers.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:42 AM

We brought a very cool collapsable cooler with us that looks like the things kids bring their lunches to school in, only much bigger. A real space saver. Arctic Zone makes them.
If you are planning on snorkeling, bring a waterproof container or zipbag for your car keys and wallet. You don't want to leave that stuff on the beach!
-Bill
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:43 AM
jor

I so wish people would quit referring to Suntan Lotion. You need SUN SCREEN! Suntan lotion only leads people to think that a sun tan will prevent skin cancer. It DOES NOT. As a melanoma survivor take it from me and please forget the SUNTAN LOTION!!!! It does absolutely nothing.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:47 AM
jor

...and I hope I have saved another life by drawing attention to this myth and problem.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:57 AM

Since your snorkeling, upon arrival head to Walmart/Kmart etc, for disposable underwater camera, and check developing options so you don't take back through airport security screening. Some Walmart's have 1hour develping option.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Jor,

Congratulations on being a melanoma survivor!! I lost my mother to melanoma when I was 19 (she was 45) - so unfortunately, I'm well versed in the dangers of the sun and the importance of sunSCREEN. But I'm glad you take the time to remind others. Kudos to you!

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:55 AM

I always make sure to bring nice white wine, bandaids, allergy medicine and pediacare for the kids. For some reason Pediacare seems hard to find at small hotel gift shops and ABC type stores. We usually go to the Big Island Four Seasons and our first stop is always Walmart. We buy kid toys, swim rings, sunscreen, ziplocks (for wet stuff and to keep snacks from growing stale), some snacks, bottle brushes and dish soap, diapers and that sort of thing. We always think the FS staff must groan as we unload our blue plastic Walmart bags, but it's a pain to go back into town for that stuff late --although Walmart also sells ukeleles and puca bead necklaces, tiki shirts, etc. if you want souvenirs.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Go to Walmart when you get here to stock up. I think the prices are at least comparable to the Mainland and you won't have to transport anything.

Bathing suits, umbrellas ($10), beach towels, beach chairs ($6-20), beach mats, boogie boards ($6&up), snorkels, reef walkers, flip-flops, sun screen, coolers etc. are plentiful here. No surprise. The supplies do thin out a bit during the winter months however.

kakalena
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 01:34 PM

sfamylou,
This is off topic, but since the BI 4Seasons has a 3 person maximum on their standard rooms, do you pay for two rooms or get a suite? Would you highly recommend them for a family vacation?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Kal

Bathing suits $45
Beach umbrellas $10
Beach towels 43
Beach chairs $6-20
Beach mats $2
Boogie boards $6&up
Kona Brew Co Fire Rock Beer on barstool #4 at The Sand Bar while watching whales playing offshore right before sunset: PRICELESS!

ps... Speaking for the 4"x 1" scar on my chest, "You tell 'em jor"!
Minimum 30-something spf.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:56 PM

Aloha carabro,

I always bring CD's and my discman w/ mini speakers... votive & tealight candles... I enjoy making our home away from home special... I'm all over the ambience.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:00 PM

carabro-LOTS of cash &/or your American Express card--seems like everything there is very expensive. I don't know how the locals manage.

jor--good for you!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:25 PM

How the locals manage? We prioritize. I have found the key to successful island living is to leave all of my old priorities and expectations mainland, along with most of my shoes. You really can live a better life with less. After spending the first part of my life chasing the almighty dollar so I could buy more stuff, it is so refreshing to know that no one here cares whether or not I have "stuff." It's OK to drive an older vehicle. And who needs $100 haircuts when a hairclip can fix all bad hair days--you'll just be at the beach most days anyway

Remember, he who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:10 PM

Ashley24: Big Island Four Seasons Rocked...in the old days. We would meet friends there; we each had babies and they were just so accommodating. Last visit was in May 03 when we each had two babies. It felt much more coporate. Lots of noisy, late events, constant sterno smell from big corporate buffets. Still very nice to us with kids, and we had a crib and a pullout bed with the king bed, plenty of room. However, some friends said this year they wouldn't let them have two kids to the room. Two rooms, or a suite, thousands of dollars. They went to Kona Village instead, and loved it, and it was cheaper. I do know that some FS will bend this rule; and in NYC, I was able to get an adjoining room half price for the kids. But I guess in Hawaii they can and do stick it to you. So we wouldn't be back. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 02:23 AM

sfamylou,
That was the same info that I was given...very sad because we loved our family experience at the 4S Maui but can't justify paying for two rooms or a suite. Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:34 AM

here today,

If you can prove that you're local (driver's license etc.) do you get a discount anywhere? When I was in college I worked during the summer in a very touristy area where all the prices were high. As long as you could present proof of residency, "locals" got 10-20% off services, meals etc. Just curious.

I agree with you about "stuff". It seemed more important to me 20 years ago and now I could care less. It humors me now to see the 20 and 30 somethings driving cars they can't afford, living in houses they can't that are so expensive that they have no furniture etc. just to keep up.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Beach umbrella and our favorite back rests for the beach, portable cd player with small speakers. Also since we stay in Condo's we always bring our own spices for when we bar-b-que.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -