Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite thing to do in or around Phoenix?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next year for spring break we are hiking up and down the Grand Canyon, then will recover for the last few days in Phoenix. We will be staying at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs. At some point I assume we'll get our energy back and will want to actually DO something. What is your favorite thing to do in or around Phoenix?
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 08:57 AM

I can't narrow it down to just one:
Taliesen West
Heard Museum
Desert Botanical Garden
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Taliesen West was really nice; read "Loving Frank" by Nancy Moran first to really appreciate the compound.

http://picasaweb.google.com/DebitNM/TALIESINWEST

Apache Trail was really a nice ride, it is curvy with great drop offs!

http://picasaweb.google.com/DebitNM/ApacheTrail

Deb
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

We went to Taliesen West a few years ago. I agree that it's way cool.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 12:41 PM

If you're here in March maybe catch a spring training baseball game, if you can get tix.

March and April the desert is very beautiful if there were earlier rains. In particular if there is a big Mexican gold poppy bloom you'll see big fields of wildflowers. There are several trails or drives you can do to find these.

For nightlife, the area around ASU is great for college age folks. Scottsdale is where the more upscale partiers hang out.

Agree with the earlier recs for the Heard Museum and the Desert Botanical Garden.

Bill
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Missypie

If I may ask, why did you chose the Tapatio Cliffs? We are going for Spring Break next year as well and chose Squaw Peak. Our kids are much younger (they will be 5,5 and 6) but I will read with interest the ideas you get on this thread. We were planning on visiting friends, lots of pool time, a Spring Training game and, hopefully, a Suns game. Thought of going to Sedona for a couple days as well...no hotel for that part yet. Not doing the Grand Canyon this trip as it is too much to squeeze in and want to wait til the boys are older and we can do it right...rafting trip thru the Canyon to Phantom Ranch and hike out.

Thanks.
taitai
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

I actually have reservations at both. Squaw Peak has a lazy river, I believe and Tapatio Cliffs doesn't. I could get a casita at Squaw Peak for only about $20 more a night than a "suite" at Tapatio Cliffs.

The recent Trip Advisor reviews of Tapatio Cliffs are pretty bad, but the recent Trip Advisor reviews of Squaw Peak are horrible. The web sites for both say they've just completed a huge remodel, yet there are July 2008 reviews of each that talk about how worn everthing is. I'm going to keep monitoring Trip Advisor for any upward trends on either property.

I keep looking at other Phoenix/Scottsdale resorts, but I don't want to pay $550-$650 a night for a room.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 05:00 PM

I saw that. However, I am taking some comfort in the fact that over 2/3 of the people reviewing gave it a 4 or 5. I like the fact they have the casitas and the water park area and that they are significantly less expensive than many other resorts in the area. I am monitoring the reviews as well.

I will keep watching this thread to see what ideas you get for your trip and steal any and all that might work for my guys.

Thanks.
taitai
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 07:03 AM

We've stayed at Tapatio Cliffs the past 5 years and love it. Yes, things are a bit worn, but the rooms are spacious, and several pools make finding a quieter pool, away from the water park area, much easier. We did not like Squaw Peak at all when we have visited for their water park. Some of the rooms are high up at Tapatio Cliffs, but a shuttle will come down and get you, if you do not want to walk all the way down with all of your stuff (it can be pretty far sometimes).

Also, we love Tapatio because of the breakfast at the golf course restaurant. We usually get the "Bounceback" package that includes breakfast, and it is completely worth it. You get coupons for each day.

My kids are in their late teens and twenties, and they still enjoy Tapatio. I think it's a great place. The breakfast is great, the Mexican restaurant overlooking the pool is fun.

Our favorite thing to do in Phoenix is the Phoenix City Grille...on Bethany Home, and to shop at the Borgata, Pink Jeep rides in Sedona. So much fun.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 08:49 AM

Take a ride out to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum. It is lovely. Amazing scenery, nice east hikes, it's just great. You'll get to actually experience the true Arizona desert, and it is wonderful.

http://www.btarboretum.org/
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 08:50 AM

^ I meant "nice easy hikes." Sorry.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 08:52 AM

Hi! I love Phoenix! My suggestions are: The Phoenix Zoo(if it's not to hot, which it won't be), a Diamondbacks baseball game if their in town and playing. Their stadium if really cool. We went on a tour of it which also is a fun thing to do. Apache Junction, a beautiful ride and when you get there, there is a restaurant(only 1) where people put dollar bills all over the walls. (Ours is right next to John Waynes face on the left on the way into the guys bathroom), Desert Botanical Garden, Out Of Africa wildlife park. This has been featured on t.v. before. Different then a zoo. Montezuma's Castle(ruins). This is all I can think for now! Have fun!
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 08:57 AM

The zoo & taking advantage of hotel with spa packages during the summer. Swimming in the hotel pool when it's over 100 degrees and the moon is out with the canyons in the background.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 12:27 PM

I am a native Phoenician and I so glad to see you all list places that I also would have suggested....our visitors especially like the Apache Trail. We live very close to Tapatio Cliffs in an area called Moon Valley, so don't see much about the rooms, but we do go to the main restaurant now and then. There are also couple of other close restaurants along 7th St. The one person suggested Phoenix City Grill and that is our very favorite restaurant, casual, reservations a must as it's very popular. Follow everyone's advice and you'll have a good time.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Take a hike up Shaw Butte, located just across the street from the Point Tapatio, within easy walking distance. It's part of the city parks system. Once at the top, you'll have a wonderful view of the city. Lots of city residents hike this trail for exercise several times a week, myself among them. A bottle of water and a hat are useful. Do the full circle, not just the up and down portion...much more interesting. Takes about an hour and a half or two hours, if you take your time. Mornings or evenings are best. Take a few minutes to visit the desert museum on the 7th Street side, too.