What is your favorite holiday travel memory?

Old Nov 12th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is your favorite holiday travel memory?

Hi everyone,

We're about to kick off the busy season of holiday travel and we need your help with an upcoming blog story. We're asking the Fodor's Community to submit their favorite holiday travel memories and would love to hear yours!

To get you started, here are some Fodorites that have shared their memories on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...0567432&type=1

Have a memory you'd like to share? Just leave it in the comments below.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Amy, who won the NYC trip to the party?
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 01:38 PM

My favorite Christmas travel story is a simple one. When our son was 4, my husband had to be in South Lake Tahoe for work over the holidays, so we rented a small cabin and picked out a sorry-looking tree, practically the last one on the lot on Christmas Eve. We hunted around the snowy forest for decorations and hung small pine cones and other found objects on the tree. After singing Christmas carols outside and then again around our little Christmas tree until bedtime, Santa came, leaving a small toy, a book and a new toothbrush for our son. Christmas Day held a postcard style clear view of a Lake Tahoe winter scene, which we continued to enjoy from the top floor restaurant at Harrah's. I often think it was our best Christmas ever, because it was so simple, stress-free, and the surroundings so pristine
and beautiful.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 01:40 PM

I have three great holiday memories.

The first two are 4th of July holidays. I don't care for Vegas much but having reservations at the top of the Stratosphere restaurant at 9:00PM proved great for fireworks viewing.
Any time between July 1 and July 4 is great at Niagra Falls. The US and Canada really put on a show(4th of July and Canada Day combined).

After Christmas one year we flew to CA and visited Death Valley and Sequoia National Parks. This was a suprise trip because we thought our daughter was to have a major surgery and we were able to put it off for a while(she ended up being fine after scolicis surgery a year later). We hadn't really expected much from Death Valley, but ended finding a ton there to do. From there we headed to Sequoia National Park. We had never seen trees like this before, so were we ever impressed. The park has a "snow play" area where we rented a couple of sleds and really enjoyed that too. We were suprised by how much snow there was and we were glad to have rented a 4 wheel drive vehicle.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 01:40 PM

scoliosis*
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 05:39 PM

My favorite memory isn't suitable for sharing.

My second favorite memory is a tie among Paris, The Grand Canyon, Istanbul, and Iguazu Falls.

HTtY
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 04:33 AM

I/we have been fortunate to have several great Holiday trips - the most memorable involving skiing, other than going to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - years ago - for Cinco de Mayo - with some buddies - and that shall remain "censored".

And visiting my sister in Costa Rica and Nicaragua during the holidays was also a blast - but
perhaps the best two most memorable holiday vacations were (1) going to Alta - in Utah - where we received over 100 inches of the "best powder on earth" for the week - and skied with the founder - the legendary Alf Engen - and then (2) - a few years later - going to Aspen where they also had an epic storm (back in SF - they had actually closed the Golden Gate Bridge to traffic) - and we had huge powder days - including skiing down the toughest runs at neighboring Aspen Highlands - which were less daunting with the deep stuff.

Almost forgot - another great holiday trip to Vail - where we also had huge powder drops (Spring break type trip) and while skiing/traversing along the top of the back bowls - behind a little guy wearing a snorkel (really - they do that in deep powder) - he suddenly turned left and disappeared - completely!!!

I stopped to see what was happening and then - viola - he pops up from the deep powder and skis on down the hill - so I joined him for a memorable run - for sure.

Oops - uno mas - we also had a great trip to Whistler/Blackhome in British Columbia over one Christmas-New Year's period - and yet again - the powder Gods smiled on us and we had a great week.

Before the Whistler trip - we had just purchased new skis - and I had new Look racing bindings on my pair of K2 Giant Slalom skis (which were long - at 210 cms - and even now - K2 still offers longer skis than the new/shorter "paraboic" types - http://www.ebay.com/itm/K2-giant-sla...item3ccc060adf

and just let 'em rip down the fabled Whistler downhill (it has been smoothly groomed - and that's where the "Crazy Canucks" - Canadian downhill team used to train) - and I had to be going 60 plus mph (bigger guys get going faster) and then had to make very minute/tiny little corrections to start slowing down - v. catching an edge and becoming a highlight film on how not to do it.

My wife was going faster than she ever had too - as was our skiing buddy - and she just sat down on her skis to slow down, a ways before I had reached my max speed, when I went blowing past my smaller friend.

Dems were Da days......................................
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that our blog story is now live: http://www.fodors.com/news/your-favo...ries-6202.html

Congrats to Tomsd and elnap29 for being featured!
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 12:00 PM

Lookin Glass

??? I don't get why your upset?
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 03:37 PM

A couple years ago we were in Zihuatanejo with friends over New Year's. A few days before New Year's Eve, my buddy and I went fishing and he caught a dorado (Spanish for mahi-mahi). He gave most of it to the boat's captain, but kept enough for a nice meal. On New Year's Eve we shared barbecued dorado with the couple in the room next to ours, and later watched the fireworks over the town and bay, all from the roof-top deck of the place we were staying. I know the 6 of us would agree it's one of the best New Year's Eves we've ever spent, but I think I might be the only one who can recall many of the details.

My only other vivid holiday travel memory is of a Christmas Eve in Frankfurt, Germany, when I was 19 years old, traveling alone through Europe. I went to a Christmas Eve service, then walked to the Hauptbahnhof, the only place I knew of where I could make an international call, to telephone my parents and siblings and wish them a merry Christmas. Then I walked to the flop-house, the only place I could afford a room, cooked a dinner of potatoes and scramled eggs on the shared cooktop, and went to bed in the room I shared there with 2 guys from Nigeria, 1 from Indonesia, 1 from Pakistan, and 1 from Australia.