Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is there to do in Old Town, SD, besides eat & drink?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:09 PM
Karen

So...what is there to do in Old Town besides eat Mexican food & drink margaritas? Are there shops, is there a mission there somewhere? Planning on going to Casa de Pico for dinner, thought we'd go early if there are other places to go to there. Thank you!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:32 PM
Melissa

Casa de Pico is in a little shopping/crafts area called Baazar del Mundo which has lots of little shops, traditional Mexican Crafts, very interesting to look around. Also there and in the surrounding areas are an original cemetary from San Diego's beginnings, a Haunted House that used to be the courthouse/private home (Whaley House), a little theatre, some original mexican home complexes and many shops that sell "indian" jewelry and other touristy things. Also at Pico, I believe there is a tortilla making demonstration, on weekends there are sometimes dancing shows, craft fairs, etc. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:12 PM
Barbara

Try this web site.

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/links/oldtown.htm

Mission San Diego de Alcala is not in Old Town. It is a few miles inland, quite close to Qualcomm Stadium

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:13 PM
sightseer

In addition to the shops and restaurants, there is also a small theater in Old Town. The Theatre in Old Town has around 250 seats and typically presents musicals and comedy productions.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:12 AM
x

i'd recommend people spend an hour or so before or after dinner. personally, i found all the "shop" to be all the same, the items were tacky & expensive. but, it's a pleasant place to walk around for a bit.