Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the difference between a Queen and a King bed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Shelley

Hi

The Message Title says it all! It the UK., we have the choice of single, double or king.

Can someone please enlighten me on the US sizes queen and king?

Thank you.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:02 PM
pamr

Queen is fairly close to a double, which is why you see quite a few quilts advertised as double/queen. Queen may be a little wider or longer than double. King is very large.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:08 PM
freewoman

King and Queen are the same length. A queen is six inches narrower than a King. I have a Queen and believe me, those quilts advertised as double/queen will not fit a queen. I had to send one back and order a king. They are too short!

Actually a Queen looks more like a bed. Kings are square. (no pun intended)

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:44 PM
jo

A king size bed is the size of two twins put together..usually set on twin bed frames with one large mattress on top of the two. And a Queen is somewhere inbetween the double and king. Bedding for King size beds is very expensive.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:10 PM
kam

Believe that a queen is 60 inches wide and a king is 72 inches wide. What we call a double is in the 50s and is really not sufficient for two people. A queen is cozy, a king is the equivalent of two twins pushed together, which is what I always book in the UK. Enjoy.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:13 PM
kam

Whoops---I think I quoted the size for a CA KIng, which is 72 inches wide and longer than a normal bed. I think a regular king is 76 inches wide and the same length as a regular mattress. Sorry. :~}

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:16 PM
sister

We just bought a king sized bed. The queens were only 6 inches wider than a double. I can't tell youe exactly how wide our king bed is, but when my husband travels, me and my two kids can all fit comfortably in it.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Stephanie P.

Shelley:

I'd suggest getting a King bed for two people. I just purchased a Queen bed and like it for myself only.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Leona

"only" six inches bigger than a double? that's a lot. A double and queen are not nearly the same size. Manufacturers just do that to save money and because fewer people have double beds now, not because they are the same size.

To put it another way, a double is about 140 cm, a queen 160 cm and a king about 180 cm.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:34 AM
xx

A Queen is a little bigger than a Full, 6 inches maybe. A King is the size of 2 twins put together, about 12 inches bigger than a Queen.