Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to purchase 'sold out' Broadway tickets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are headed to NYC in August and hope to see a couple of the 'sold out' shows, including Billy Elliot. I find some available on various sites on-line, but is there some 'better' way to get good tickets at a 'good' price for these shows? Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 09:54 PM
J62

I use www.stubhub.com for hard to get tickets. For sold out shows you will pay more than face value.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 04:43 AM

What is your definition of a "good price"? If you mean "slightly more than the regular price," then you'll have a tough time. However, you should be able to get tickets for midweek performances in August at "regular" prices if you order now. No, they won't be prime seats. There is no "better" way to get tickets at face value or slightly more than face value.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:02 AM

You can always use a ticket broker and expect to pay about double for mediocre seats mid-week if the show is really sold out. But I bet you can get tickets for Billy Elliott on a Tuesday or Wednesday (or perhaps a matinee) right now if you look hard.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:05 AM

I can tell you as the partner of a theatre President...theatres are rarely, if EVER, completely sold out, and that includes New York.

The house will almost inevitably hold back a few "house seats" for various reasons and these sometimes will go on sale at the last minute..sometimes through the the atre's own box office and at other times through outlets.

You could try the Tickets booth in the Marquis on Times Square or you can pay higher prices through brokers...hey, if you want to see it and you aren't going to have much choice in terms of dates there are a lot worse things you could spend your money on.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 06:08 AM

We had good luck at the ticket desk in the Times Square Information Center right on 7th between 46 and 47.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 06:44 AM

I have noticed that the shows listed on broadwaybox.com as "sold out" really aren't. (Billy Elliot may actually be, however.) It lists Lion King as sold out, but when I go on the official ticket site, fabulous seats are available for a performance three weeks away.

Note, also that I sold my Lion King tickets that I couldn't use on stubhub. I priced them below face value. However the rest of the tickets for the same show were priced well above face value and the show was now where near sold out.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 06:52 AM

There are a few things you can do:

1. Buy premium seats -- have you searched for these? They're usually $250-350, and are in the center section of the front orchestra, or the center of the first row of the mezz, etc.

2. Wait and keep checking -- as Dukey mentioned, house seats can pop-up a few days before your show. I got the most amazing seat to Spring Awakening 2 days before the show, when it had been "sold out" leading up til then.

3. Look for smaller groups -- if you're a group of four, look for two sets of two. If you're a pair, look for singles. You won't be able to sit together, but it's not like you're going to be talking during the show.

Good luck!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM

I agree with the recommendations to try for regular seats at all performances during your visit, consider "premium" seats, and split up a group.

You are just not likely to find tickets at TKTS or be able to get rush seats for the really "hot" shows.

I, personally, never use the brokers. Seats are pricey enough without lining the pockets of those brokers - especially for less than terrific seats.

The great shows are around for a long time, so you can plan farther ahead for another trip. In the meantime, the less "hot" shows are magnificent and you can just see something else.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM

djkbooks is right...we're seeing last year's Best Musical - In the Heights - for $57.50 per ticket, great seats.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the input.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 07:33 AM

You all gave good answers so thought I’d hitch my own question to this post. I’m coming to NY in November see Jersey Boys. I checked for regular tickets on their official site (Telecharge) and saw, as a poster suggested, that 2 “prime” tickets were available for about $300 each. I figured I might get these, but then when I tried other dates just to compare, the same two prime seats popped up as available – so it made me suspicious that something may be wrong with these seats as they are the only prime seats available on each date. The seats are Center Orchestra, Row B, Seats 101-102. Are they bad seats, because they are too close to the stage or something? Is it like a movie where if you sit in the front row you can’t see the whole screen? Sorry for dumb questions, this is my first NY theatre. Appreciate help from anyone who knows this theatre (this is August Wilson theatre). Thanks.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM

I don't like sitting in the first couple of rows, but I suspect they are available because they are so ungodly expensive. No show that's been playing for over 3 years is worth $300, not even Jersey Boys.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM

I think for Jersey Boys those seats would be okay, as the stage is not that high (so you're not looking up) and it is nice to be able to see expressions on faces.

Sometimes, seats in the first few rows are dreadful, if you're looking up, and you can get sprayed with spit and sweat.

As much as I love that show, though, I wouldn't pay $300/seat.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Lpk

I live in NJ and use select-a-ticket.com regularly. YES you do pay a premium but they are for special times

ENJOY
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:46 PM

I'm a bit stunned that the second row seats for Jersey Boys would be considered Prime. Most of those seats start in about the fifth row -- maybe the fourth -- in most theatres.
Add me to the people who would not pay $300 for those tickets. And while the stage may not be too high above those seats, much of the action takes place much higher -- on catwalks and platforms elevated much higher. You will not get a great visual perspective on the show.

And I too HATE paying over face value to scalpers who bought out seats to make money on, making the average theatre goer have to pay inflated prices to see top shows.

On the other hand, suggestions of trying to get such hard to get shows at TKTS or just hoping to get them last minute is a real stab in the dark without a lot of possibility. I stood in the return lines when box office opened several days in a row for Jersey Boys with no success at all. And Jersey Boys at TKTS? You must be kidding.

I agree that there are many wonderful shows that are available at face value or at less than that. So unless there is some reason you simply HAVE to see a particular sold out show, I'd avoid supporting those scalpers who are ruining Broadway in my book.