Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the best restaurant in the United States-cost no object.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:29 PM
Dave

For my 50th birthday I want to eat at the best restaurant in the United States. I like French food, but it does not have to be a french restaurant. Where it is is not really an issue, nor is cost. For this special day, my wife and I will travel anywhere and pay what ever they charge!

Even if the best restaurant is 2000 miles from my home, we do not mind, and will make a vacation out of it. (but please, I sure hope the best restaurant in the country is not in North Dakota or Nebraska!)

So, what is the best restaurant in the United States?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:32 PM
Jason

The absolute best restaurant in the USA is in the Inn at Little Washington (Inn), Washington, VA, about 70 miles south of Washington DC. Typical cost, without wine, is $120 per person.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:34 PM
Ethan

New York City has at least ten five star restaurants. The best of the group depends on who you are talking to. Though the average diner would not notice a big difference between one 5 star to another.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Geez Dave somehow I think this must be a troll post just to generate responses. That said, I will give an answer.

The Lark in suburban Detroit was named best restaurant in USA in 1998, I believe. Small, intimate, expensive.

If you don't go there you can try Outback Steakhouse as it seems to have many fans on this site as well!!!!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:36 PM
Vince

check the Zagat guides, all the best places are rated 1-30.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:38 PM
Dave

I want to assure everyone that this is a sincere post. My 50th birthday is really coming up and am interested in doing something completely different.

This is not a troll post!

Please give me sincere answers!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:51 PM
Guy

Four Seasons
New York City

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:24 PM
chris

Chez Panisse, Berkeley CA.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:34 PM
Flynn

I don't know if this is considered the best but the French Laundry Restaurant in Yountville, California is in the running. Also Daniel Boulud and Gramercy Tavern in my own neck of the woods - Manhattan. IMO, The Four Seasons in NYC is too corporate.

I would definitely go out to San Francisco, hire a limo and go to French Laundry and indulge in all the other great restaurants in Napa/Sonoma Valley. Then back in San Fran, go say hi to Alice Waters at Chez Panisse. Hey, a birthday shouldn't entail just one day, right? Celebrate!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:36 PM
xxxxx

House With No Steps - Halekulani Hotel, Honolulu!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:41 PM
June

Not to be confused with "House Without A Key"????????? =\

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:13 PM
bluefan

My most pleasurable dining experience with my wife was having a dinner at Mama's Fish House in Paia, Maui around sunset. Ask anyone who's been there...it's hard to imagine a better place for seafood, atmoshpere and drinks (killer Mai Tais).

So if you really want to indulge yourself at the half-century mark, Mama's is the place! And Dave, you did say you're willing to travel umpteen miles within the United States with cost being no object!!!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:39 PM
Donna

Here's another recommendation for French Laundry.

However, I spent my 50th birthday at Le Jules Vernes, Tour Eiffel, Paris. Absolutely spectacular in every way. You never know, the airfares to Paris these days may be more economical than stateside.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:46 PM
The

French Laundry in Yountville, hands down.

I've also eaten at the Inn at Little Washington and it wasn't even close to the French Laundry. Nor was the Mansion at Turtle Creek in Dallas or Cipriani's in Venice or Commander's Palace in New Orleans.

All were good but nothing compared to the French Laundry.

You have to call (707) 944-2380 two months to the day you want reservations and even then you may not get one. Good luck.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:41 PM
jbj

www.whitebarninn.com

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:43 PM
Diana

Check out L'Orangerie in Los Angeles. I have never eaten there (too expensive for me) but it gets rave reviews in all the national magazines. Beautiful and elegant as well as delicious.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:46 PM
Sherry

One Duval at the Pier House Hotel in Key West, Florida.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:05 PM
Mike

I've been to many excellent restaurants throughout the US and where I currently reside (Tokyo). One restaurant, though, stands above all others: Charles on Nob Hill in San Francisco. Chef Ron Siegel is a genius.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 02:39 AM
Linda

Lutuce (spelling) in New York City

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 02:51 AM
George

White Barn Inn, Kennebunkport, Maine. And you could stay there too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -