What if ...

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:47 AM
GOL
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if ...

About to drop a large sum for my kids High School trip to Europe. I have concern about Iraq and war. Once (if) the USA starts, anti-American retaliation will be a greater possibility, IMO, and an American outside of our borders will be more of a target.

We can always decide to not go up until the very last minute. The tour company has some (post 9/11) rules for no refunds, no matter what - or so they say.

Has anyone had experience with a similar situation. Success at recovering some of the money. Thoughts. Trip Insurance for a war event?

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:58 AM
arizonadawn

Having a similar experience with our local high school band going to China. One suggestion was to make our checks restricted so that the money could only be used for the trip, not for instruments or travel of any other kind, then it would be refunded if the trip cancelled. We are to write something in the memo line of the check that makes it restricted. I still haven't gotten the exact wording from the accountants involved. I would definitely get trip insurance if that is a possiblity. It would be a shame to pass up a once in a lifetime opportunity on a "what if." But I would not chance a big amount of money yet either. Good luck.

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 08:06 AM

You might want to consider which European country the class will be visiting. After 9/11 I spent a few weeks in Italy on a non-refundable reunion trip and all involved felt we were perfectly safe in the Italian countryside (though we would've felt differently had we been in Rome).

The way France is not supporting the US - that could be a very safe place. Great Britain on the other hand might be less safe as they are fully behind us.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 08:17 AM

I was in the French and Spanish Clubs in high school and wanted to go to Paris and Barcelona so bad during spring break! My parents said there was no way I was going to those cities due to some of the terrorist acts happening at the time - 1984 or 1985. So, the spoiled teenager that I was, was a major b*tch on wheels while my friend were away. Anyway, a week after everyone was home, telling stories of legal drinking and cute Spanish guys, the bar in Barcelone where they spent every night drinking Sangria was bombed, killing some American servicemen, if my memory serves me correctly. So, this incident enforced my parents beliefs that they made the right decision keeping me stateside. Now that I am older and a (god)parent, I would've done the same thing. Just a story......
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 09:32 AM

The tour company my son went with a couple summers ago made it clear they wouldn't reimburse other than as provided in their written policy. And you'll have trouble finding any insurance with the flexibility it appears you're seeking. Regardless, IMO as a parent, keep the option open. You've already planned for it; and, after all, it's only money.