Traveling While Pregnant??

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 11:55 AM
sks
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling While Pregnant??

Hi all -

This morning I found out that I am pregnant! (yes, planned!)

I have been in the process of planning an 8 day trip to Hawaii for my friends wedding in November and by that time I should be near the end of my second trimester. Have any of you ladies travelled during that time (about 26-27 weeks)?

No air tickets or hotel reservations yet, so it's not too late to change our mind. Also am planning to get travel insurance if we go.

Of course I'll ask my dr's opinion on this, but was looking for some real life advice and not just clinical opinions from my doc! Also this is a first pg for me so have no idea what to expect.

Thanks in advance!
Sara
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:07 PM

My wife toured Italy with me when she was five months pregnant. My business partner and his 6 1/2 month pregnant wife just finished a week at the beach. You'll be just fine. Have a good time!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:12 PM

Congratulations! As long as your doctor says OK and you're feeling up to it, go ahead with your trip and have a great time. It will probably be many years before you can just relax on the beach again.

Trip insurance can be iffy -- it probably won't cover a lot of routine pregnancy things that would leave you not feeling well enough to travel. An alternative would be to book only cancellable reservations.

Be sure not to overdo it. Get plenty of fluids and rest, let people do things for you. When your body is going through lots of changes, the best thing you can do is pay attention to the signals it's sending you about how you feel and what you should nor shouldn't do.

I spent 3 weeks touring England and France when I was 5 months preg with my second daughter and had a great time.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:14 PM

I went from Hawaii to Portugal when I was 7 months pregnant. Unless you have some sort of medical problem, 6-7 months is a great time in pregnancy. You aren't huge yet (although at the time you'll think you are!) and usually you have plenty of energy.

But the trip insurance, but I'd say keep on planning!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Congrats and enjoy! You would be getting close to the "do not travel" time but should be safe and relatively comfortable still. I'm sure your doctor will know your situation better by that point and can give you advice either way, as every pregnancy is different. And also be aware that airlines have a late-term pregnancy policy and you'll want to make sure they'll take you. (I'm sure they don't want to be delivering babies at 30,000 feet over the ocean!) Depending on how large you look you might need a doctor's note saying you are at x number of weeks and have authorization to travel.

That being said, my best friend went to her brother's wedding across the country a few years ago and ended up in a Minn. hospital for three (yes three) weeks while they kept her on bedrest so she wouldn't deliver too early. Her water broke at 33 weeks. So be aware and prepared regardless of how far along you are! They then had a preemie baby they had to fly home with.

The side bonus if you make it is that being pregnant in a bathing suit, you can eat all the ice cream you want and not care a bit about how you look!! And be sure to laze around reading as you will not do that by a pool or ocean for many, many years to come!

Have fun!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 01:05 PM

First and foremost, congratulations! Being pregnant with your first baby is one of the most exciting and amazing times in a person's life, for those lucky enough to experience it. You have many wonderful years ahead of you!

I flew from Boston to San Francisco when I was at almost the exact point in my pregnancy with my first child as you'll be. Then I spent two weeks taking at a seminar at Stanford, running around like a college student. I felt great. I always have a lot of energy at this point in the pregnancy (I have 3 kids). It's at 32-34 weeks that you'll start to see your stamina fading. As long as no pregnancy complications pop up (i.e., early contractions), you'll be fine.

Two tips of advice for flying. Bring plenty of water. You'll need water to keep yourself and the baby hydrated. I always froze at least two large sports-style water bottles (disposable) in the freezer the night before. I had cold water still in S.F. and I didn't have to keep asking the stewardess for water or wait until we were in the air. Also, try to get an aisle seat so that don't have to climb over people to get up. You'll want to get up frequently to avoid blood clots and you'll just want to be able to move around, trust me. You'll also be getting to the point where you'll need to use the bathroom more frequently.

Have a great time and don't worry about anything. The second trimester is actually the best time to travel. You're past the morning sickness phase and you're not yet in real danger of early labor for a normal pregnancy. And you'll be able to enjoy some rest and relaxation before your little one arrives!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:27 PM
bamakelly

I travelled tons the last time I was pregnant to all sorts of places: the mountains, the beach, NYC, Disneyworld. Had no problems. Enjoyed every bit of it. I had trouble sleeping during my pregnancy, but for some reason, if I was in a hotel bed somewhere else, I slept just fine! The plane rides were slightly uncomfortable: I always grabbed an airline pillow and put it behind my back to keep me comfy (like an old lady...I only did this while pregnant though!). 26-27 weeks was when I felt the best during my entire pregnancy. Just don't try to overdo anything. Plan breaks, stop to drink plenty of water and eat snacks throughout the day so you stay energized. Try not to stay up too late and just take it easy and try not to pack too much in. You should be fine.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Congratulations!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:41 PM
sks
Original Poster

Thank you for the congratulations and all the replies! Reading your (mostly) positive experiences is making me feel more at ease with continuing on with our vacation plans.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I flew from NJ to Hawaii when I was 5 months pregnant with a 13 month old on my lap the entire flight both ways. I was fine. The time change was a problem. I never fully adjusted and was sound asleep by 8pm every night. I will say that everyone is different in their pregnancies. I had a very easy one.I would wait as long as I could to buy the tickets. Worse case scenerio, pay the change fee and go several months later with or without baby!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:37 PM

Congrats! If you feel fine THEN and your doctor gives you the go ahead THEN, by all means, go. But, it's sometimes hard to predict NOW how you'll be feeling THEN. Don't mean to dampen your spirits, just a voice of reason!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Oops..my message was supposed to say:

BUY the trip insurance, and keep on planning...
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 09:52 PM

sks

congratulations,

The only advice I can offer since we couldn't really afford to travel when our 'babies' were young (now 22, 21 and 16) is enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Time will go by soooooo fast - well, perhaps not the first couple of months but the sleepless nights will end.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 10:35 PM

As those above have said, lots of people travel at that point in a pregnancy - and with a few precautions, the overwhelming majority will have a great time.

The only "but" in all of this involves financial risk - I do not think you can get trip insurance to cover pregnancy. Hotel should not be a problem if you should need to cancel, but the air is likely another story. You would probably end up with nousable and non-refundable tickets.

The problem is that health during each pregnancy is so unpredictable. By that point in my first pregnancy I was on bedrest to avoid complications. With my second pregnancy I felt completely wonderful until 4 hours before I delivered - no explanation for either.

I think it all depends on how much you could afford to lose the money for airfare - if that would not upset or bankrupt you, I would go for it.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 12:48 AM

Well, I'll jump in and risk being flamed. I work in the SF Bay Area, a frequent stopover for Hawaii bound and returning folks. I am a Newborn ICU nurse. I have to tell you the stories have been frequent over the years about 25-28 week babies being delivered mid-trip(anywhere USA to and from Hawaii). I wouldn't do it.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 04:44 AM

I won't flame you, Pam. It's something I've wondered about for a long time. I mentioned above that I had traveled when 5 months pregnant -- a colleague on the same trip delivered a premature baby 3 hours after getting off her flight home.

Do you know if anyone has actually studied this? If you don't ask the right questions, you don't get the right answers! Fetal Alcohol Sydrome must have been around for thousands of years but the medical profession didn't recognize it until the mid-1970s. And if this does happen, many of the women are probably delivering in their home cities, and their doctors might not even know their recent travel history, to start putting the idea together.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 05:27 AM

chances are, you will be fine. but you do need to think about how you'd handle something happening.

i asked my ob how long i could continue to spend weekends at our vacation home--3 1/2 hrs away. she said that she is most concerned when her patients travel during 22-32 wks. if something should happen, that is when you need your doctor. when you are full term, anyone can deliver the baby.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 05:59 AM

Even under the best of circumstances, babies do decide to come early. No one can guess whether yours will or won't. A six -seven month baby has a chance when it is only a few minutes away from a neo-natal unit. When you are over open ocean on the way to or from Hawaii, this isn't going to happen.

There is something about being in a pressurized airplane that seems to increase the chance of pre-mature labor. There is no hospital nearby to put you in so that you can get medication to slow down or stop the contractions. If you are inclined to get air sick, the situation is worse.

I worked for a number of years in an OB practice and the Drs simply told the women, if they were in good shape with an uncomplicated pregnancy, that they could go, they would probably be OK, but they were foolish to take the chance.

Old Jun 18th, 2005, 07:10 AM

Hi sks,

Congratulations! What a gift.

I will be your middle of the road voice...

There is absolutely no way anyone can answer this question for you. Some women travel and have absolutely no problems at all, while others have complications as some have stated above.

This is only a question that you, and the baby's Daddy can answer, I would listen to your instincts and your physician on this one. Additionally, I would wait on booking until you know for certain.

No one knows why things happen. Some women do everything right and still have a negative outcome, it is tragic. Life is a precious gift.

Only you will know what is right for you with regards to all decisions you make during your pregnancy. Some women prefer to err on the side of caution not chancing anything, others go, go, go and everything ends up fine - not one choice is good or bad, just different.

My best wishes to you for a glorious and healthy pregnancy. Tiff
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 07:29 AM
sks
Original Poster

Thank you again for all the advice. I completely see all your points and after talking with my husband last night I'm not so sure anymore. He is more worried about it than I am (but my judgement may be clouded since it's my friends wedding and I so want to be there!).

There is also the issue of my husbands time off from work and he wants to save all the time he can to be home longer once the baby comes.

It seemed like such a simple decision 24 hours ago! *sigh*

I really appreciate all your advice and opinions!

Thank you!
Sara

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information