What/How to Use USAirways FF miles in the Multi Thousands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any wise suggestions on how to be smart with at least a few hundred thousand FF miles with USAirways. They never have any flights I want, and they have no hotel partners. It's insane. I want to be smart about this and need advice on how. I'm particularly interested in Europe and Caribbean, but also open minded to other schemes. Thanks.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM

I suggest going to Aruba first class.
Aruba is a beautfiul island!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:04 PM

Just like any other major airline, USAir partners with some domestic and international airlines. That means that you can use your USAir miles to get tickets on other carriers.

I believe you have to call USAir in order to ticket an award on a partner airline(s). You can't check availibility for partner awards on line.

Pick the destination you want, some acceptable dates (it's always a good idea to be somewhat flexible with dates) and then call USAir. I'm pretty sure the res agent will find a way to get you there.

Here is a list of their partners:

http://www.usair.com/awa/content/div.../airlines.aspx

You have to call USAir, not the partners....

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:27 PM

Also take a look at this page:

http://www.usair.com/awa/content/div...ooktravel.aspx
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 02:09 AM

We use our points to go to Europe from DC. We usually purchase a coach ticket and use 20K points per person to upgrade to business class. We have never had a problem in the last 5 years of using our points...even the 1 time that we used 80K per person to purcahse business class with all points. I find if you are flexible on dates and sometimes airports it is no problem. What I find helps the most is to just keep calling the airline until you can get someone who can help you. In the past I have called and had someone tell me the only way to get to Paris from DC was to go DC to Boston to London to Paris. Wrong...I hung up, redialed and got someone who was able to help.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 03:55 AM

Plan far enough ahead and have a killer trip to Europe first class and open jawed.
Seems odd that if you fly so frequently to have all these miles that a good trip can't be figured out.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

thank you for this advice. it's not that a good trip can't be figured out, but that i don't feel i know all the clever angles on exploiting miles. i want to use them but i want to use them in the smartest way possible. i think the upgrade idea is a good one. thanks.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Dan

CALL USAirways and try to book tickets on Lufthansa or United. For whatever reason, I can get a United ticket to Europe using Dividend Miles when US flights are blacked out.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 04:50 AM

Make sure you understand the rules on upgrading with miles before buying a ticket. For travel to Europe, not all economy fares (including the lower discounted fares) are eligible for mileage upgrades.

http://tinyurl.com/kk6ol
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:01 AM
GoTravel

USAirways partners will the Hilton family hotels don't they?

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:16 AM

Check the internet and call when looking for a flight. On a phone call, I was told I could not use my FF miles to get from Point A to Point B. Looked online and it was available.

Be persistant - sometimes you will find there is a way to get that flight you want.

Be sure to check out the flights using Premium miles (double the miles). I was looking for a flight to Grand Cayman, ended up checking every week of the year just to see - to my dismay, every day of the year said sold out. Checking under Premium Miles all kinds of flights were available.

Found out that to some areas, the only flights that are ever available are by using Premium Miles.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:25 AM

USAirways is now affiliated with the Star Alliance. America West, etc. Explore their website.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:05 AM
jcb

They update this list monthly.

http://www2.usairways.com/awa/conten...ggestions.aspx
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Neopolitan

I'm not familiar with USAirways, but I can say that I feel the best use of my AA miles is to use them for a free business class (or first class) ticket to an international destination. You are often allowed stopovers, meaning that you can actually get several destinations out of one ticket. My usual claimed ticket is worth around $7000 and costs me 90,000 miles. That's a much better use than using something like 50,000 miles for a ticket you could buy for $500 or less!

I'd also suggest you start planning for a trip that is 11 months away so you will be able to get the destination and routing you want.