COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

What has happened to Union Square?

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Howard

What has happened to Union Square?

We just returned from San Francisco and noticed construction on Union Square. What is the deal? Anyone know? Is it the end of the square as we know it?

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Faina

The square itself - 1 square block - is closed for renovation till don't know when. The garage underneath is opened to public, only they switch the entrance all the time from Post to Geary and back. The 1/2 price ticket booth is inside now, temporarily.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Howard

Faina, they are renovating the square or building something on it? Will it still be a park like square? Thanks for the infor.

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Faina

I don't know for sure, I can only see they are building something what looks like 2 roofs over a bus stop on both sides And cover the ground with concrete. And no idea where you can check... maybe SF City Hall? I ride by every morning, when it's over I'll let you know.

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:24 PM
James

This is what's going on -- not sure of current estimated completion date.

http://www.asla.org/meetings/awards/...unionsqre.html

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Howard

Thanks, it is a little clearer now, I guess I won't panic. Keep us in WEHO informed!

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:05 AM
xxx

Howard,

Union Square is being turned over exclusively to the homeless to use as an encampment, as if hasn't already been taken over by them. Of course, as you have seen we in San Francisco have quite a large homeless population (about 10-15 thousand at last count, but it probably is higher than that) that for whatever reason we just can't seem to get it under control. This is despite the fact that these derelicts are very agressive in their approach of asking people for money. We SFers seem to to like letting them use our streets as a public restroom, so that means we have to hold our nose as we walk down the street. The best thing I could recommend is that people stay away from San Francisco until we can figure out a way to take care of this problem. There are so many other bigger cities that are so much cleaner than San Francisco, that have better weather, with so much more to see and do.

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:27 AM
NOxxxx

"We SFers"? I guess you may be correct that the people in SF are stupid if they know all of this and STILL live there. Please let us know where you get your homeless statistics. The 10-15,000 amount you quote sounds very low if it's as bad as you say it is you big SFer, you!

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:09 AM
xxx

NOxxxx,

10-15 thousand is the number that is reported, but that does not mean that it is accurate. In reality it definitely more than that. As you can see, our streets are littered with many cardboard condominiums.

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Noxxx

More blah blah blah blah. Your "10 gallon hat for a 5 gallon head" "facts" are quite convenient.
Back to San Jose with you.

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:22 AM
xxx

NOxxxx,
This website estimates the homeless population in San Francisco to be 12,000-14,000 back in 2000. It is definitely worse now, probably closer to 20,000. You cannot argue with the facts!!!

http://www.sfbg.com/News/34/34/34stat.html

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:34 AM
MrLiberal

2 to 3yr old facts from The Bay Guardian!!!! There's a REAL realiable source!
What next? Someone quoting Rush Limbaugh?
Besides, it can't be THAT bad in SF or
the most liberal of all mayors, Willie Brown, along with the most liberal of all Governors, Gray Davis, would have cleaned up the mess by now.

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:05 AM
xxx

Mr. Liberal,

Apparently you did not look closely at the website. Those figures are from the San Francisco Homeless Coalition!

Liberals are the reason that SF has a homeless problem in the first place! What SF needs is someone like Rudy Giuliani to clean up the town. Go to NYC, like I do on a regular basis. You can count on one hand the number of homeless people you see in The City. You are most likely to see them in Battery Park in Lower Manhattan. Other than that, The City is immaculate. Clean streets, no odor of urine, etc. That is saying alot considering that The City has 8 million people and San Francisco has only 730,000

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Noxxx

Let's see. We are now expected to accept figures from the SF Homeless Coalition whose sole budget is based on having a LARGE number of homeless in SF?
Next source please.

Old May 8th, 2002, 11:32 AM

It definitely FEELS like 10,000 when you walk about and get hassled.

Mind you, it also feels like 10 thousand get on every bus in china town.....!!!!

Old May 8th, 2002, 02:19 PM
xxx

Hey Mr. Liberal,

Here is some information on SF's homeless problem from the website listed below. It talks about how NYC cleaned d up its act.

San Francisco is spending more than $200 million a year, about the same as it spends for its fire department, on the homeless but is barely making a dent in the problem, the San Francisco Chronicle reports. There are still thousands living on the streets there, hassling passersby, openly abusing drugs and urinating and defecating in public. New York, meanwhile, has nearly eliminated its homelessness problems. What does New York know that San Francisco doesn't? New York invested in homeless shelters ? it has 27,000 beds now ? and used police and social workers to make it difficult to sleep in public. San Francisco officials viewed that approach as "warehousing the poor" and spent their money on long-term housing and services for a portion of the homeless. Problem is, they are serving the most quiescent homeless people. The more difficult ones, with mental illnesses or drug problems, are left on the street, and those are the ones causing trouble. "You walk down Market Street and step over comatose bodies, debris and human waste. It's just not a pleasant experience," said one businessman, who said he no longer visits the city for entertainment.

http://www.civic-strategies.com/resources/metros/san_francisco.htm

Old May 8th, 2002, 02:30 PM
xxx

Noxxx,

Those figures are the FACTS, like it or not. I know that you find it difficult to accept the truth.

My previous post from the civic-strategies.com website is an excerpt from a San Francisco Chronicle article, which in no way is a newspaper biased against SF. They are merely reporting the facts, that SF has an out of control homeless population!! So get your head out of the sand and stop denying the obvious.

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Noxxx

The SF Comicle is another REALLLL unbiased source to get "facts" on the homeless. <snicker>. If you think so, you really don't live in SF.
I'm not saying there isn't a homeless problem in SF (like any other big city), it's just not as bad as you anti-SFers are letting all believe it to be.
My head is always out of the sand but I think I know where yours is firmly implanted.

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:51 AM
xxx

Noxxx,

I know that the truth about your town is hard to take. But stop being childish about it and admit that SF has a MAJOR problem in terms of the homeless and how severely run down it has become. In no way should we be misleading tourists to spend any time or hard earned money in such a cesspool until it is cleaned up.

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Noxx

I have admitted that it's a major problem but I've seen it just as bad, as aggressive in Portland, Seattle, LA, Dallas, NYC (Rudy has helped quite a bit), Miami and Chicago.
Any city with a population over 300,000 will have a major problem. It's just that SF's "problem" is not as bad as you, "SFers" (yeah, right) say it is.
Enjoy The City. Warts and all!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO