Reload this Page >

What do the rest of you think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2000, 09:33 AM
Regular

I have noticed that there are two warring factions on this board. There seem to be people who like the longer threads that stray from travel, and there is also a group that seems to dislike this sort of thing with great intensity.

I was wondering what everyone else thinks about this. Perhaps one faction or the other might learn something. I assume there are large numbers of people who visit this board but participate infrequently, for whatever reason. So what are the thoughts and preferences of infrequent posters about posts that get way off the subject?

First, a few guidelines. As usual, it is most helpful to take the time to explain your position or preferences in detail. Next, this is not the time to settle a score with someone, so please don't identify by name anyone who bothers you and don't flame anyone -- in other words, be nice. Next, this is not a fan club, so don't post that you have always loved so-and-so and would just love to have his baby. Next, please use your first name or whatever you normally go by, even if you withhold your e-mail. Next, if you post more than once, at least use the same name when you post back (we'll have to use the honor system on that part). And finally, let's have the "regulars" (and you know who you are) refrain from posting anything at all, so that we can find out what the "silent majority" thinks. That might make this board even better than it already is.

Either there will be a number of responses from people we rarely hear from, or this post will drop like a stone, which will also tell us quite a lot.

I am a regular, so I will withhold my own opinions, and I will not post back.

Old May 31st, 2000, 09:39 AM
howard

How can we take you seriously when you say, "Please use your first name or whatever you go by.......," and then sign yourself "Regular." I can't believe that "Regular" is your first name or what "you go by"!

Old May 31st, 2000, 09:58 AM
always

And the above posting is just what regular is talking about!

Old May 31st, 2000, 11:37 AM
howard

It certainly is interesting what people will post anonymously!
I would say to "always" that you are a better example.
Now, let's see this thing die!

Old May 31st, 2000, 12:01 PM
John

Dear "regular":
How about posting a travel question (or experience) instead of trying to info for your high school psych term paper on the sly?

Old May 31st, 2000, 05:35 PM
another

So what have we all learned?

1. Howard doesn't understand that Regular apparently chose not to use his real name or give his own opinion because the post was for non-regulars, not "regulars."

2. Some people can't be nice, even when asked explicitly to try, just this once. They also cannot just ignore a post they don't like and prefer to heckle.

3. There must only be about 25 people posting on this board -- all "regulars".

Old May 31st, 2000, 06:04 PM
Gloria

Okay, guys. Please note that Fodor's is designed to be ALL ABOUT TRAVEL. This website and all its links are not for personal opinions or messages. It is specifically meant to help the travelers of the world to help each other. Incidentally, I am a regular reader and infrequent poster.