Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Possible Itinerary for Chicago: Leaving tomorrow!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would appreciate any last minute help in this trip. I especially need help with how close places are to each other and whether it's feasible to walk to them. Thanks!

Arrive Saturday around 1-2 pm. We are driving from Michigan. Check into the Park Hyatt. Drop dd10's doll off at American Girl store to fix hair.

Walk to lunch at Grand Lux Cafe (ate here before and dd13 loves their fish and chips! How far is the restaurant from Park Hyatt?). Window shop after lunch or walk by lakeshore.

5:00 go back to American Girl Place to see show (just dd10 and I) and look around. Dh and dd13 can relax at hotel.

7:00 eat a small dinner or just dessert. Suggestion in the area? Swim at hotel pool and watch a movie in room.

Sunday: Eat bfast at NoMI (included in room rate) and check out. Go to next hotel (Hotel Monaco) and check in. (AM I CRAZY FOR SWITCHING HOTELS??? I am splurging on the Karen N. suite.)

Walk from Hotel Monaco to Art Museum 10-1 (Plan on a big bfast so lunch will be a snack at the Art museum or at the Oriental theater)

1:00 Walk from Museum to Oriental Theater to see Wicked at 2:00

4:00 Dinner at Ed Debevics (can we walk to this? or is there a kid friendly restaurant closer?)

Rest of the night spent relaxing at hotel, maybe renting a movie in the room.

Monday: Probably room service bfast unless there is a better choice within walking distance. Is Yolk nearby?

Architectural tour at 10 or 11 (still need to get tickets, not sure if I should wait now until we arrive).

Have lunch at Millenium Park. Can we walk to the Arch Tour and Milennium park from our hotel? Walk to Grant park to see the fountain and ???

By 2-3 we will be heading to the Residence Inn Ohare for my dd10's dance competition.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 03:51 AM

Millenium Park is a must...here are some pics from the park, that I took when I visited in April:

http://static.px.yelp.com/photo/HfIM...JofgDZN-7jOw/l

http://static.px.yelp.com/photo/ykSI...B1tm_wAWp3ig/l

http://static.px.yelp.com/photo/Ozb_...4t9GmFou30AA/l

and then try to get a pic of the corn ob the cob building, as seen in the new Batman briefly:

http://static.px.yelp.com/photo/T3dY...2hF5DdPMW8pg/l

But make sure to check out:

Uno for pizza
Hershey shop for touristy gifts for people
Sears Tower for amazing views
take one of the water taxis...great views of the city.

enjoy!!!

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:02 AM

sorry that should have read corn on the cob building aka Marina City
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:04 AM
cd

RE: "7:00 eat a small dinner or just dessert. Suggestion in the area?"

You will be at the Hyatt at this time and I can think of nothing better then to go to the John Hancock building which is close and have a light dinner in the Signature Room. Ask for a window seat and all Chicago is at your feet. A beautiful view. If you want to stay light, Appetizer's and soup would fit the bill. http://www.signatureroom.com/Cuisine/dinner.cfm

We took our granddaughter to the AM Girl store and she loved it! She wanted to have tea there (it is so cute, they have little highchairs at the tables for their dolls) but you have to have reservations and we did not.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Andy,
I love your pictures of Mil. Park! Now I will make sure we go there! Was the food ok there or should I find a place to grap food on the way?

As far as the Signature room, we have eaten there a few times for Thanksgiving dinner. Unfortunately, my dd's would not eat any of those appetizers (way too fancy with picky eaters) but the dessers sound like crowd pleasers! You are right about the great views of the city lights at night!
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 05:08 AM

Honestly when I was at the park, I did not see any amazing places to eat. I mean they had the usual places like a Bennigan's, but I do not eat at places like that when traveling. I had my dinner at Giordano's and Pizzeria Uno. I was only in town for 2 days, so I made it my mission to eat at the "tourist traps" lol
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:01 AM

There are 3 places to eat inside Millenium Park. The Park Grille, which is white table cloth, an outside, casual part with sandwiches/burgers and salads (my hibby said the burger is great), and a hot dog cart.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:02 AM

From the Park Hyatt, Grand Lux is about six blocks south on Rush Street.

Ed Debevic's is four blocks south to Ontario, then turn right and head six blocks west to Wells.

Millennium Park and the CAF docks are both on Michigan Avenue. The park is two blocks south to Randolph and the docks are at Wacker, two blocks north.

If you want something light before the theatre, there's a Potbelly on State and Lake, one block north of the the Oriental, or Corner Bakery, on Randolph just west of Dearborn.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Has the American Girl store moved yet?
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Where is it moving?
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM

It's moving to the space in the Water Tower Mall vacated by Lord & Taylor.

There's also a Wow Bao at State & Lake in the Renaissance Hotel building, for a quick snack.

If the OP has been to the Hancock before, there's l'Apetito in the courtyard for gelato and other sweets.

I can't imagine leaving the Park Hyatt for the Monaco--it's a gorgeous hotel with many lake views.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 10:23 AM

For dinner after Wicked, I'd suggest something differen than Ed D.'s. Ben Pao would be a great choice if you like asian food. They are very good at making kids feel special.

http://www.benpao.com/

Enjoy Chicago,

kevin
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Racy,
Thanks for the suggestion for L'Apetito. Our family loves gelato! Perfect!

You have me a bit worried about switching hotels! Have you stayed at the Monaco before?
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

One of my hesitations about the Park Hyatt is having 2 double beds. That's a bit tight for us. At the Hotel Monaco, you have a choice of 2 queen beds in a standard room and our suite has a king size bed plus a queen sofa sleeper.

When I inquired about the bedding in a suite at the Park Hyatt, it was very unclear how many people can occupy one of their rooms and if rollaways are even allowed. If I knew for sure that a suite had enough room for all of us (above 2 double beds) I wouldn't hesitate to book both nights at the Park Hyatt.

For whatever reason, the price of the suite at the H. Monaco varies anywhere from $400ish to $700ish before taxes. I was able to book it for the $400 price but if I booked it for both nights it would have raised the nightly rate by a lot. Not sure why that is...
So I took the "bargain" night and that's all.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Nothing bad about the Monaco--just that the Park Hyatt is a bit newer and quite luxe, with some nice lake views on the East side of the building. The Monaco is good--the Park Hyatt is spectacular.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Well, if I agree about the Park Hyatt being spectatular, I may try to stay there another night. I have until 6 pm to cancel at the HM. Right now, there is plenty of availability at the Hyatt. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

We made it home. I will write up about my trip in a separate post entitled "Fun in Chicago"