Reload this Page >

What did you think of "Oklahoma?"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Nancy

Just bought tickets to Oklahoma for early August. I read a great review in Newsweek before buying but afterward read lots of negative reviews in the newyork.citysearch site. If anyone has seen it, would love to hear your opinions.

I love everything Rodgers & Hammerstein have done but heard the lead female can't sing. If it turns out we'd rather see something else, what's the best way to sell tickets? By the way, we live out of state. Thanks!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:57 PM
xxx

The main criticism I've heard is that there seemed to be an overwhelming desire to turn the show into a very serious piece. As a result all the humor is gone. The wonderful characters of Ado Annie and Will Parker, and especially the real comic role of Ali Hakim are all played as if this were Ibsen, not musical theatre. And why oh why would anybody dress Laurie in overalls and have her walk around barefoot? Much has been made of the fact that at last Laurie is cast as a dancer so she can actually dance her own role in the ballet. Maybe they should have had a "dream Laurie" in this production to do the singing for her, since that seems to be what this one can't do.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Just

But tell us, xxx, did you see the show?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Ellen

I saw the show and was falling asleep midway through it. Slow, slow, slow. Nothing uplifting about it. No gusto. Love the music for ages, but I'd rather listen to a cd.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:23 AM
bobbie

We saw Oklahoma last night for a benefit but had to leave after the first act to get home at a-not-so reasonable time. So a review of the first act - The dancing has improved from the TV production with the stars of the show performing more ballet movements, particularly the dream scenes. Voices were clear and rich. It was not a show I would have chosen (tending to prefer more dramatic shows) but it was enjoyable. Others in my office really loved it so you have a good chance of also being entertained.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Tommy Tune

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin down the plain

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Nancy

Thanks for the input! I was really getting worried but jumped to buy tickets because I wasn't sure they'd be available in August.