Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

what did you bring back from San Francisco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas on regional/unique items to bring back - souvenirs and gifts?

thanks!

in 51 hours I land at SFO!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 06:15 AM

I bought all kinds of kitschy Chinese stuff for my kids. Bottles of that great Chinese salad dressing that I can't find at home. I found a "dollar store" in Japantown that had some neat stuff. Sexy stuff for my husband. They also sell some realy terrific caramels that I can't find anywhere else.

This is not unique, but they have a HUGE Old Nacy at Union Square. (Four full stories.) If you like Old Navy at all, you must make a pilgrimage there.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 06:48 AM

Chocolates from See's Candies are always a big hit with my family!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:23 AM

A gentle bit of trivia: I love See's Candies (even though they're off my diet)-- a true confectionary treasure invented in Los Angeles. They are hard to find outside of California and are all-natural and wonderful, so if you don't mind them being originally from the southern half of the state, they are sublime.

Ghirardelli Chocolates are native to San Francisco and delicious as well. Yeah, you can get them in any grocery store in the US now, but make a trip to Ghirardelli Square and pick up something cute!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:36 AM

White chocolate macadamia nut cookies (or other variaties) from the Blue Chip Cookie Company at Pier 39. They were the first to bake this cookie and they are the greatest. Started in the city and now are in some parts of the country. (Not in mine!) Don't leave the city without them.

If you are into seashells go down to the Pacific Ocean beach south of the Cliff House and pick up beautiful sand dollars, they are everywhere. Easy parking along the beach. Great place to watch the sun go down as well.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:40 AM

I didn't realize See's Candies weren't widely availible outside of California until a relative asked me to bring some with me when I went to see her in Memphis. I can't imagine life without See's.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:01 AM

More importantly, take a tip from Tony Bennett and don't forget to leave your heart! ;-)
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

yum! I see this will be a foodie trip!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Grasshopper: You don't have to remember to leave your heart, it is automatic, at least it was for me! (It gives you a good excuse to go back often to try and find it again.)

Flygirl: A trip to San Francisco is automatically a foodie trip...can't escape it. (From Gary Danko to dim sum in Chinatown and everything in between...!)
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:16 AM

Gallo salami (available at Safeway in SF) and Boudin's sourdough bread,
prints of the city, and little cable cars for the kids.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:38 AM

May I offer my favorite recommendations at See's?

Scotch Kisses
Marshmallow center with soft taffy on the outside, wrapped in a twist of waxed paper - these really have to be eaten when fresh!

Summertimes
Yes, they really are only made in spring and summer. A very light chocolate and nut mixture, coated with walnut powder.

And of course,

The incomparable Rocky Road!

I've had a See's addiction ranging back to when I used to blow my weekly allowance there.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:08 AM

San Francisco Sourdough bread from Fisherman's Wharf for my neighbors.
They loved it.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:12 AM

Let's see:

San Francisco Sourdough - I know, you can get it anywhere. But, it TASTES better in SF!

Fortune Cookies from Chinatown - they have some racy ones! Last time, I got my boyfriend some with baseball trivia.

"I Escaped From Alcatraz" t-shirts. Got to have one!

Dim Sum to eat on the plane!

Ahhhhh...Sees! Bordeux Chocolates and Apple Pie truffles...Uhmmmmm...I'll be right back...........

Funny story - My BF and I are selling our condo. The realtors have been in and out with potential buyers. Unfortunately, we left our closed box of Sees truffles on the counter. BIG mistake! But, who can blame them? !

Good news, we have 2 offers and a half of a box left!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:15 AM

SF Sourdough bread, Ghirardelli chocolate and hot chocolate mix, Sees Candies, crushed penny from the Golden Gate Bridge, and lean calves from all of those wonderful hills!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 10:01 AM
emd

No one has mentioned the wines that you can't get anywhere else outside of that area. You can easily carry on two bottles per person on the plane in the wine carry boxes they provide. Great wine shops in SF.
Really good wine and Ghiradelli. Yum.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:24 PM

The best thing that I brought back was X-rated fortune cookies that I got in Chinatown. We have a friend that is a big joker so I gave the box to his wife. Can you guess what's next?? There was a chinese restaurant that we all went to & knew the waitress really well.His wife took a couple of "the" fortune cookies & swapped them with the restaurant ones when their check came. The look on his face when he read his fortune was priceless!!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Don't miss the souvenir shop at the Golden Gate bridge, this is where I get the gifts for out-of-towners.

I don't know if they still sell them, but 3-D mouse pads with the Golden Gate bridge or other SF pictures are great as a gift for anybody.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:41 PM

I grew up there and do get back to visit when I can. My kids here in Boston love Svenhardt's pastries (Safeway) particularly the raisinettes, also sourdough loaves and of course See's nuts and chews. Food is the best out there. I miss it.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Kal

I brought back a case of crabs, XOX Truffles, and a major hangover.

Used the crabs for ciopinno (get you minds out of the gutter people!); we put the XOX Truffles immediately on our hips and arses and I'm STILL nursing a SF hangover!
XOX Truffles went well w/ port on a good Zin.

I'll be taking a big ice chest next trip.

We took the "Mangia Tour of NoBeach" last year w/ GraneAnn Walden and she turned us on to the Little City Meats and they had some of thee best Italian sausage we've ever had.
We'd load up and bring it home.

Mrs Kal also liked the little Italian ceramic shop off Columbus.

The best things we bring back are pics and memories of good friends and good times. Does it get any better?
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 01:09 PM

I can see how I really take SF for granted. That is until I just went to buy some wine here in Colorado. Yikes! $$$$$$$$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -